Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT - Coaching Little League this year and need help w/drills

I will be coaching my son (ages 7 -8) this year and we are slated to begin practice next week. That said, can anyone recommend any practice drills for this age group - I have no clue as to what is too much too soon.

Or do you know of a good book, video or website that may showcase things to do with this age group. This is just an instructional league, but want to be able to offer something.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Memphis

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously - when not practicing have them get one of those wrist exercizers - you know those sqeeze things - building up as much strength as possible in their wrists and forearms will help them immensely in hitting and in throwing accuracy.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    At that age just getting them to suit up and get some fresh air as opposed to TV, video games, and computers is good work.

Seriously though, Im not certain about any videos/dvds for instructions suitable for that age group. I would suggest going over the basics such as rules, field positioning, and basic fundamentals. Encouragement and highlighting the fun and positive aspects of playing team sports in general are a good start for that age group.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Pete Rose used to have a very good instruction video for young people. You may be able to find it on ebay.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    1. Face the batter while on the field. This is not a joke.
    2. Catch with two hands.
    3. Throw overhand
    4. Bend knees in the field
    5. Run through first base without watching the ball

TOTAL fundamentals should be the goal, and I mean basic. Remember, that you need to instruct near the bottom of the team skill level. Better players can do developmental skills in smaller groups.
    Wondo

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    We handed out blue racquetball balls to all the kids to squeeze to build up their wrists and forearms.
    Besides that we do lots of infield drills, ground balls and then throw to 1st. And lots of hitting, focusing on proper form.
    Main thing is to find as many ways to make it fun.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>1. Face the batter while on the field. This is not a joke.
    2. Catch with two hands.
    3. Throw overhand

TOTAL fundamentals should be the goal, and I mean basic. Remember, that you need to instruct near the bottom of the team skill level. Better players can do developmental skills in smaller groups. >>

Very well put, and I agree. While some of the kids may think they are beyond some of this, it will still be good to reinforce the good habits.

To go along side #2, I would suggest tossing light grounders and making sure they go donw to field with both hands and the glove should touch the ground and they should look the ball into the glove.

On all of this, make sure to reward the correct actions and not necessarily a positive result.

Do coaches pitch at this level during games?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    tom emanski

"The same tested under fire techniques used by Baseball World's back to back to back A.A.U. National Championship teams and the U.S.A.'s Gold Medal Winning Entry in the 1996 Junior Pan Am Games a team that defeated Cuba twice! "
  • Options
    Star Drill (also fun)
    Divide into 2 teams
    1 base runners
    2 infielders-no pitcher
    base runners start @ 1st base & run to home
    ball starts with catcher to 2nd to 3rd to 1st to SS to catcher(can change order anyway you want)

runner beats throw home 1 point
    catcher tags runner out 1 point

teaches proper base running & works on team work throws for fielders

I usually do this either beginng or end of practice

Kids have fun and ask to play this alot
    Larry
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I know this guy, he's in prison right now, but he can get you some stuff that will allow the kids not to even have to practice. image
    Travis
  • Options
    Thanks guys...these are great suggestions and I am taking notes.

Zef....yes this is overhand coach pitch.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The key thing in coach pitch is for the pitcher to be down on 1 knee. Makes a huge difference.
    Also, make the kid take a practice swing or two so you can see where he's swinging, and pitch it into his zone.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The most important thing you can teach a 7 or 8 year old about hitting is this:

Hit the ball IN FRONT of the plate.

Never ever put a tee on the plate, you'll teach them to hit with their arms all tucked in and their weight falling backward. I would use a tee (even though they're 7/8) and put it IN FRONT of the plate. Teach them to see the ball out front and extend their arms.

If you use the soft toss drill make sure you toss it out in front of them - same theory.

Another way to teach them to hit it in front is to put them in the back of the batter's box; they'll see the plate out in front of them and hit the ball how they should rather than wait for it to cross the plate - where only bad things happen

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great advice. I always wanted my 2nd baseman (or SS) to put a tag down whenever they got the ball from the outfielders.

First thing I would do is to pair them off and have them play catch.

then I would have fielding practice.

I would hit the ball nice and easy. do infield first then the outfield. as you hit the ball you say where you want it thrown into. make sure that you give each pos a grounder or fly. Do not let the OF sit out there while you do infield. they should be backing up.

batting practice. you pitch.
    each player gets 10 swings

show them how to run the bases, how to make turns etc.

work with your pitchers Unless it is a league where the coaches pitch, if not make sure that they understand the importance of throwing strikes.

most importantly make it fun.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>1. Face the batter while on the field. This is not a joke.
    2. Catch with two hands.
    3. Throw overhand

TOTAL fundamentals should be the goal, and I mean basic. Remember, that you need to instruct near the bottom of the team skill level. Better players can do developmental skills in smaller groups. >>

Get as many parents as possible involved to help with practices. Many of these kids will need 1 on 1 time to learn the catching/throwing/hitting skills. At this age, they'll love to hit and run the bases, but getting them to take infield/outfield practice for more than 30 minutes is pushing it.
    Keep it fun!!
    Good Luck
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Get as many parents as possible involved to help with practices.

bad idea.

You and maybe 2 other coaches

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Get as many parents as possible involved to help with practices.

bad idea.

You and maybe 2 other coaches

Steve >>

Yes, a head coach definately needs 2 other coaches at this level and it helps to have another parent (or 2 on board) to help at practices. In my son's league a couple of yrs ago, the head coach pitched to his own team during games (loaded a pitching machine) 1 coach tried to keep order on the bench, the other coach and a volunteer parent coached on the bases. Practices and games are a circus if one of the coaches can't make it due to a prior commitment. I think anyone coaching 7 & 8 yo kids will find the extra help a must at many times during the season.
    A disclaimer- all coaches and parents that helped during games/practices had to be state certified to take part.

• Options
    I help coach a 4-6 year old tee-ball/coach pitch team.

Here are a few drills we do;
    When practicing fielding ground balls, have the kids put their cap, bill first into their mouths. This forces them to look over the cap and to catch the ball out in front of them vs letting get all the way to them.

Practice hitting wiffle balls or plastic golf balls. You can stand fairly close to them, they wont hurt if they hit you with the ball. This helps with hand/eye cordination.

Practice hitting a BIG KICK Ball or Basketball. Have them hit the ball REAL hard. Force them to swing THROUGH the ball. At this age, kids have a tendency to stop their swing once the ball hits the bat.

Have the kids kneel (on one knee) and practice throwing the ball, elbow up high. This helps develope arm strength.

In the batters box, have the kids put their front foot toe down first, not the entire foot. This helps them keep their weight back.

Most importantly, make sure their having fun. The number 1 fundamental is enjoyment.

• Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Great words of advice for any age group:
    1) Take care of the ball...means do not throw it around too much. This comes into play when the runner is advancing, there is no way to get him out but the throw is made, gets away and now the runner advances yet another base.
    2) Before each batter, teach the boys to keep two questions in their mind a) What will I do if the ball is hit to me? and b) What will I do if the ball is not hit to me? Keeps their head in the game and erases hesitation on what to do when the ball is hit.
    3) It is just a game, winning is great but it is more important to have fun!!!!! John
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Line the kids up facing the outfield fence, about 10 feet away. Place a fielder at the cut-off position. Stand behind the kids facing the fence and toss the ball over their heads to the fence, so it just dribbles down (not so hard it bounces back). The exercise is to have the kids take turns fielding the ball when they first see it over their heads, turn and hit the cut-off man.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."