Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Set Registry Importance Grows

Just got the Superior Galleries catalogue for the "Elite" sale in January and there are several mentions in the catalogue for coins that exceed those listed in Registry sets, and other references that point to demand for "registry set" coins. This is making me want to hang on to my registry set maybe a wee bit longer. I see more "value" building into registry set values. cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Alan
    I think you'll see more and more of this after the first of the year.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan,

I'm not sure I'd say registry sets are growing in importance, but they're definitely receiving a push in auction catalogs and dealers' ads. Not too surprisingly, David Hall's ad in the Dec. 31 Coin World is devoted entirely to registry quality coins.

Be honest. You didn't REALLY want to sell your proof quarters anyway, did you?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if the NGC Registry acvhieves the same stature, if that's the right word, as PCGS. Clearly, the number of sets registered at NGC is very much less than PCGS, but of course they have just started. And a number of the sets at NGC seem to be the same folks as at PCGS.

HD
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Registry sets/Internet stocks, it's all going to end up the same way. A lot of losers and a very few winners.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    For the average collector, having a Registry Set just means that others can see the progress you are making with your collection.

All the hype for "Registry Set Quality Coins" is aimed at the deep pockets individuals in an attempt to sell more high end material and keep the prices up for those. It is a means to stimulate demand.

Given that I am on a small budget (like most collectors) and I will never compete for the top sets, it gives me no less pleasure to have a registry set.

Even if there are 200 Mercury registry sets a few years down the road and I am fighting to stay in 50th place, I will still enjoy the thrill of the chase for new coins in the price range I can afford.

I think it is important to understand that there are many motives of varying types, including greed, self satisfaction, ego, information sharing, advertisement that can and will be associated with the registry sets. That is one reason that the registry sets will always have someone agitated, as what pleases one collector type displeases another.

Overall, I am happy in my niche and no matter what PCGS does (including require varieties - my own hot button) I will continue to support the registry sets. I guess my glass is always half full
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Deep Coin strikes a chord again,

It seems like every time I read one of your posts, you're saying what I'm thinking.

It doesn't matter what number my set is at, I'm going to savor each little step I make. And hopefully while doing that will get to share some of my interest with others who are doing likewise.

Great post Deep Coin,

madmike
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think both are right, it sounds like DeepCoin and MadMike are collectors, and like what they collect. The people who buy into the Registry Hype will be the losers. Look at the price drops in the last year on many issues. People that bought these high were taken in by the hype. If you enjoy what you collect, then this issue is not pointed at you.

Earlier this year was a big fuss by some board members being upset because the amount being spent on some coins seemed crazy to many other board members. They started threads about "It is my money, and I will spend it the way I want" and so on. No one is questioning that, it is the people who may be taken in by the hype and never realize their may be a downside to some of these coins. All the people who call this "hype" and so on are trying to do is help someone see there is two sides to the issue. Ironically, the one person who yelled the loudest about this possible downside is the one who was complaining that they were not listed as being a possible candidate to press registry issues. Who wants a one sided thinker thinking for them?

If you like what you collect, you will be a winner regardless of value.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Great comments guys!

Enjoy your coins and not their pricetags or their ranking.

It's all about the coins!

-Keith H