Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am Perplexed & in need of Grading advice...

Just to clarify - I have never used a grading service as I generally dabble in collecting coins 'spur of the moment' when I see something that I like (raw or slabbed). So, I have some GW 'smoothies' (argh... yeah, another post about 'em) and decided since NGC is in my hometown (and with the appearance of "buffies") that it might be best to have at least some of them slabbed. So, I did the following (excerpted from an earlier post):

*"I just got back from my local NGC Authorized Dealer (Antwerp Diamonds) here in Sarasota - and was actually surprised by what the Owner/Dealer said about the coins. (I went there to have them pre-screened and see if any of them were even worth having graded & slabbed) Well, out of 41 smooth edge coins, he said 6 of them might have a shot at NGC with the highest possible being an MS64, another dozen or so he said might make a MS62-63, maybe... so I'll probably just send the six in along with the better 2 of the 4 die-clash (incused edge) coins that I have. He also noted that the faces were all pretty marked up on them (no kidding)."

Well, here's the rest of the story - and the questions...
When I opened my first roll of GW coins from the bank, I figured that the smooth edge error that was on the news must be hugely widespread (making my dollars worth maybe two bucks each), because nearly half the roll was smooth (about 11? of 'em).... so when my family came in and saw my carefully spread out "gold coins" all over the table & asked what I was doing... about six sets of hands started mauling them before I could keep the fingerprints off! (grr...) Therefore about a third of my coins now have a lovely black speckled pattern across the once shiny surface.
Question #1: when you send coins to be graded, do they clean those spots off? Or do you have to send them to a cleaning service like NCS first? And how badly does that affect the grade, compared to unhandled specimens?
Question #2: (this is in regards to the above *quoted snippet about taking the coins to an authorized dealer for review) I just took out my magnifying lens to take a look at the 6 coins he selected for submission... and lordy am I perplexed... It seems that he picked out the ones with the most black carbon speckling and lack of shine?? I am confused and don't know what to do... So, is it a better idea to send them in for grading, or just send them to one of the cheaper "authentication" places so that buyers will at least know that they are authentic smooth edge coins?

Comments

  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭
    1) If you want your coins "curated" Send them to NCS or learn to do it yourself.
    2) If you think the coin is worth getting graded, submit it!

    You Neighbor in Port Charlotte, Fl.

    Hurricane Charley was here.........

    TorinoCobra71

    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file