Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1967 Canadian Dollar - Medal vs Coinage?

I was taking some pictures for a friend's upcoming auction and he asked me about a few rolls of uncirculated 1967 Canadian Dollars. I had a Charlton in the truck, and it showed 1967 Medal and 1967 Coinage in the book (2006 edition). I only looked at a few, I would guess they were MS63ish. Anyhow, I did a quick Google and searched the forum and didn't really see anything tell what the difference is (Besides about a 300 x price increase). Anyone have a link or a way to tell them apart? Only thing I could think was the Die Axis. They weren't in any case like I saw references to, just plastic rolls/holders.

Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Perhaps they are talking about "medal" alignment of obverse and reverse [the top of each meet at the same point on the rim] versus "coin" alignment [the top of each is at opposite points on the rim]?

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Charlton is referring to die axis alignment. The coinage alignment is very rare valued at C$2500 in MS62 vs C$20 for the "normal" medal alignment.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification, the way they listed the 2 under Date & Mint Mark just threw me off for some reason. The 1982 Dollar that has both Medal and Coinage listed as well shows the Axis arrows both ways so I thought it was that for the '82, but the '67 only showed up arrows, so thought it might be something else. Now I know what to look for when I go back this weekend image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    You're welcome.

Good luck in the hunt!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960