Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1857 $2.5 Gold

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been looking at gold recently trying to get a feel for how the various series look before I plunk down cash.... Does this look like a cast copy???

Auction link

Thanks


L
Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭
    sure looks suspect to me......

    TorinoCobra71

    image
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I stand corrected
  • Options
    IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭
    image That one isn't even close.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet it's real. Heavy jewelry wear and/or sweated to death, but real.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    If you buy it I have a 2.5 dollar bill I can sell you. They would make a nice set.image

    Look at the wings. They stand out bold like they have no wear yet there is no definition. This looks poured to me.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, we disagree. Now, is it possible to prove who is right?
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, fakes NEVER look this bad. That's because it wouldn't pay to make them this bad. The coin is worth no more than melt, even if real.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Only possibility I see for real is if it was somehow corroded by acid. I can't see that as wear as the highpoints are still high.

    Look at the left wing, what is that hole. It looks like an airpocket, what kind of wear could create that??

    How do you explain the rim, it looks like 2 rims. I see too many indents that look like airpockets, its just a bad fake.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you explain the rim, it looks like 2 rims.

    Bezel damage.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It's real. It was used in a ring.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>It's real. It was used in a ring. >>



    ex-jewlery makes sense to me... do you think this is how the details got so mushy..ie...from the heat involved in setting it into the ring?

    Thanks to everyone...this is quite an education for me.

    Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...BTW...the seller has a 14-day return policy as well...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ex-jewlery makes sense to me... do you think this is how the details got so mushy..ie...from the heat involved in setting it into the ring?

    It's not from heat. It's from use. Think about how badly your watch gets banged up through normal use. Now, what if the watch was soft 900 fine gold, like the coin? It would look like hell, just like the coin.
    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would save my money. There are a lot better coins around.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭
    Even if it is real, it is numismatic trash. Not worth it as a hole filler IMO.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to say fake
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Could be real...but save yourself the hassle and buy a cert. one.

    They can be had pretty cheap

    Here's one of my favorites

    image
  • Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, it's fugly!

    I could see buying it for $10 for amusement value, but over 100 bucks for that thing is a joke!
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't consider purchasing something in this state. I only brought it to the groups attention because I'm trying to get a feel for what these things look like as they wear and what a counterfeit might look like. If/when I go to purchase gold I'll either buy certified or I'll buy from my local B&M shop as I'm a bit out of my element looking at these.

    L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file