Home Metal Detecting
Options

A New Season....A First!

Hello fellow forum members. It's been awhile.

I've been out a few times but was skunked in all except one time. It was tough the first few times since the ground was still frozen solid. Another challenge is trying to learn the machine again.

I decided to hit a park past Saturday where I had found Merc's and later silver coins. I got a solid quarter reading about 7 in. or so down. I was pretty happy because at this depth I unearthed silver coins here. As soon as I saw a portion of the coin I knew right away it's a first for me. A few possibilities were already deduced. It's not Barber, definitely older than Frankies, and absolutely not a quarter. It's a WLH! Yoo hoo! My very first WLH!

The first Seated will have to wait...Until then...Here is the picture:

1938 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Happy Hunting and good luck with the new season.

P.S.

I just took an assignment in Detroit. If you live in the Detroit metro and would like to get together to do some digging, let me know.

Comments

• Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool!!
    I got my first, and only WLH last summer.
  • Options
    Very nice find, those are great aren't they?
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys. The halves are tough to find I think because those that hunted before would have picked up the signal since the coins are too big.

I can see, Silverdream, that you like WLHs. Mine is in bad shape but I will take it and I'm pretty happy. That is one first out of the way...
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Digging any half dollar is a great find, even better with lady liberty walking. Too bad it didn't have a D mint mark. I've never found a half yet, but finding a walking liberty and a standing liberty quarter are on my wish list.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Darn, that is a nice find!! Congrats big time!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Nice work!

That's another coin on my wish list.

Congrats!

<< <i>The halves are tough to find I think because those that hunted before would have picked up the signal since the coins are too big. >>

That and there probably wasn't too many of them lost in the first place.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>That and there probably wasn't too many of them lost in the first place. >>

I agree totally.

The halves and the cartwheel dollars are too easy to lose too because they are heavy and can fall out of the pocket.
    Especially when the old timers are trying to get on the horses.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for my first silver period. I love Walkers so I say:image
  • Options
    there were lots of halves and dollars lost. alot have already been found. i know guys who have 100's of silver halves. i personally have found 2 morgan dollars and many halves. riccar dug one recently at a location i've been to several times.
  • Options
    very cool!...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>

<< <i>That and there probably wasn't too many of them lost in the first place. >>

I agree totally.

The halves and the cartwheel dollars are too easy to lose too because they are heavy and can fall out of the pocket.
    Especially when the old timers are trying to get on the horses. >>

I always thought it was from a hole in the pocket and the old lady was too lazy to mend it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad that ain't got a D mintmark!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.