Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Shouldabeena runnin' wild

Just to stir up a bit amongst the FB guys, I took a look at some of Shoulda's sets. This guy is a monster. How quiet and unassuming when he is out there killing everybody. Take a look:
I checked out for comparison some of the other bigger FB guys that I have dealt with or competed against with one question in mind. These guys spend good money and have great collections and while not all inclusive is a pretty fair list. So the question was ...... how many different sets do they each have registered (all sets included)??
MOSH 874
Dav 278
Bill's Gridiron 85
FabFrank 73
Vineyard 63
Skinsfan 41
MACPSA 37
D Rivard 28
nearmint 27
Rob Marcus 24
AEG cubs 23
Wang 18
Wolfbear 13
M VanD 5

Now these guys are some of the biggest names in 60's and 70's FB (apparently a few other things as well). Where does our quite unassuming friend fit in?

Shouldabeena 101 !!!!!!!!

He's taking over, I swear. It's no wonder I can't get anywhere in FB these days. This guy is closing in on the Empire and the Davallilo Dynasty. Watch in the rear view mirror big guys, Shouldabeena is coming on fast.
Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.

Comments

• Options
    He's been here forever, where do you think some of Davillo's sets came from. To be honest I haven't even seen a card from some of the card sets he has completed. (1960 Mayrose Franks?) A true fan and a great registry member!
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Yea,
    But if you put all his stuff together ......what do you have?? image
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    "Where do you think some of Davalillo's sets came from?"

Some of my sets? I am not listing those round things he sent me.

Although he did sell me 63 Stancraft and a few other things....and he just sold me the two Mayrose Franks cards to get to 10.0.

His collecting strategy is very confusing...Jeremy must stay up nights trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Can picking up strange items seemingly at random even be referred to as "a strategy?"
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    The strategy part comes in when he gets people talking about him. then he sneaks in and snipes
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    Can picking up strange items seemingly at random even be referred to as "a strategy?"

That is the beauty of Wolfbear .......... nobody can quite cut to the chase with a great one liner like him! image

As far as Shouldabeena Mike, he is one of the absolute nicest guys in all the hobby.
    Nobody writes a better more entertaining email.
    As for collecting strategies I think I asked him about his a few years back as I was kind of perpeled myself.
    He told me he doesn't really have one.
    He is just kind of all over the place with his ekeltic sp. collection.
    Which in a way, kind of defines him as a collector and I find kind of cool in itself.
    So many of us, certaining me and a guy like Wolfie included have ever narrowing guidlines and boundaries we place on our collections.
    Mike just lets it rip, which ever way the wind blows.
    Very cool & unqine guy IMHO.
  • Options
    Nobody writes a better more entertaining email.

Now that's an understatementimage

Mike is one of the nicest guys in the hobby. I wish him luck in whatever he's collecting/hoarding
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    OK for you guys that don't seem to fully get this. We all love Mike, great guy, hugs his kids, gives to charity, etc. etc.
    But this guy is wildly creative and talks smack with the best of the professional rasslers. My kids think it is great that Dad has club formed against him (Fear the Fuzz) which Mike was instrumental in creation. While privately we have nice and supportive conversations, in public its all out havoc. This is just another poke.
    This guy always talks about not being able to compete with the big guys. His poor $83 month budget and all ,earned pimping out college kids, or so his email address eludes. This 101 sets! That's Dav light knid of numbers. A lot of those sets are low number All Time Finest. If he keeps this up we should tell is wife what he really has.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Forget MOSH--the Evil Empire--I am focusing all my attention on Couldabeena, that sly fox.
  • Options
    Jim,
    Your 278 is a fine and impressive number. I suspect it is probably a top ten sort of number for the registry. But good Lord, 874 ! I can't name that many sets. I know a lot are newer but 874 ?!? Do you figure that Jeremy is snickering at me while I gawk in amazement. Guess it beats my 9 sets.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Top Ten?

Probably Top 2 although if I broke every single set I was doing into team sets maybe I could get to the top.

Poor Jeremy--just think how much time he must have spent under the empire entering these cards.
  • Options
    I could not agree more about Mike -- a great guy with a terrific sense of humor. Always a pleasure dealing with him!
  • Options
    "His collecting strategy is very confusing"

I'm sure it is to him also.

LOL image
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read this thread earlier. Thanks for all the kind words guys ... I'm gett'n all (sniff, sniff) teary eyed. ;-)

Actaully, I'm constantly amazed that I haven't been run off the boards for some of the wise a$$ comments I've made! LOL

But seriously, I think that's a big part of why I like to collect football cards. To me, it's not only a walk down memory lane ... but the interaction with other collectors is a fun release from the normal everyday nonsense that we all have to deal with. I think sometimes we forget that this is supposed to be a fun hobby, and I guess I like to poke people with a stick every now and then ... to try and remind them of that.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't come out and play earlier this week ;-) ... but I've been super busy trying to keep up with my 2nd annual "cherry pick my sets" threads that I posted on CU, LTS and Net54. I bet I've gotten over 100 different e-mails, PM's, IM's and phonecalls since I posted them. I never realized how many football lurkers (guys that never post) were floating around here, and I've met some really cool new football card collectors over the last few days.

I just talked to a guy on the phone yesterday that owns 3 Beechers and is working on finishing his 4th set of '35 Chicles! I also spoke with Carl Lamendola, who writes for Gridiron Greats magazine, and I've always enjoyed his articles. BTW, if you don't get Gridiron Greats, you are really missing out on a great vintage football publication!

Anyway, my little sale is just about over, and it will certainly redefine how (and what) I collect this coming year. My crazy collecting habits do seem to change with the tide ... and yes, I rather enjoy it that way. Since I can't own them all, I figure I'll just hold onto some of them for a while, and then trade them for others later on.

But don't worry Fuzz, I didn't sell off that much stuff! I kept just enough to keep you on your toes and chase you around that Olympic circle a bit. And yes, the proceeds will help me to start grading the really good stuff ... that I've been holding back for all these years!!

Moo Hoo Ha Ha!
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    When the 3 Beechers are up for sale, let me know. image

Doug
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i> ... I ... will certainly redefine how (and what) I collect this coming year. >>

Great April's Fools joke shouldabeen!

You really had us going there for a minute ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>When the 3 Beechers are up for sale, let me know. image >>

I smell an 1880's Football Card Olympics thread starting! image
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    I also spoke with Carl Lamendola, who writes for Gridiron Greats magazine, and I've always enjoyed his articles. BTW, if you don't get Gridiron Greats, you are really missing out on a great vintage football publication!

BTW, I haven't received my Gridiron Greats in over a year. Does anyone have the phone #?
  • Options
    BiGG Publishing - Gridiron Greats

phone: 772-563-0425

e-mail: gridirongreats@aol.com
  • Options
    Thanks Mike.image