Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1976 Disc Cards

Can anyone link me up with any articles or information on these cards. I am wanting to start collecting them, but would like to read up on them a little.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Anyone??
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I dont know of any articles written on these off hand and am sure others can provide alot more info than I, but from building my Munson master set these are the '76 disc cards Ive come across so far...

BUCKMANS DISCS
    CRANE POTATO CHIPS
    DAIRY ISLE
    ISALY'S/SWEET WILLIAM ( appears to be the most widely available )
    MSA SPORTS DISCS ( blank backs, appear to be tough to pick up )
    ORBAKER'S
    SAFELON
    TOWNE CLUB
    WIFFLE ( another tough one )

Aside from the '76 discs there many from '77 and '78 too. Most of the same brands I listed for the '76 discs but also include ones made by the folowing...

PEPSI-COLA
    ZIP'Z
    BIG T/TASTEE FREEZE
    PAPA GINO'S
    WENDY'S
    BURGER CHEF FUNMEAL ( smaller than the regular disc cards )
    CHILLY WILLEE
    DETROIT CAESARS
    HOLIDAY INN

Not sure if thats a complete list or not but its a start. Hope it helps somewhat !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the tougher ones not on the previous list are Red Barn, Saga and Customized. It seems that the Red Barn are the toughest from this particular series. There are also the 1982 FBI discs made in Canada, those are very, very tough to find.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Abe,

Nice work. I dunno how I left out the customized and saga disc, especially since I own some of each. The red barn completely slipped my mind since they are almost never seen. In over 2 years of searching for a Munson one Ive yet to come across an example.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bri,
    As for the Red Barn, check with ebay seller, I believe the name is joshjenpaul, they have sold a bunch of Red Barn's lately. I was able to buy most of the Jabbar, Reggie and Staubach discs from them that I'd been looking for years. They worked out a really fair deal.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    I have tried doing some research for some old threads on here and have found a few. A this point I will just buy what I can afford to, with not too much care of what is on the back, not looking to do a set of any particular back. I have look a few websites that have some for sale and the harder to find ones can be a little expensive in PSA 9. Thanks for the info.

Kirk
  • Options
    Which discs are you looking for? I have a few that I'm not using. Do you want graded or raw?

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Add Carousel to the list.

Crane and Isaly's/Sweet William are the easiest - common player PSA 10s from these sets can readily be found at under $10, and even HOFers sometimes.

Carvel did basketball discs, while Crane did football discs. Neither is especially expensive, although they don't come up that often on ebay.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Why don't you bother me anymore, Nig'M?
  • Options
    On Deck had some in 1982.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    Go away, racist punk.

Oh, and Antonio Gomez is not an acceptable role model.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't you bother me anymore, Nig'M? >>

Thanks for ruining my thread jack@$$!!
  • Options
    The blue and red MSA blank backs are considered a 1975 test disk. There is a regular 76 with a blank back also.
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    take you're ignorance somewhere else asshat.

julen

RIP GURU
  • Options
    Stingray - there are also a few variations in Master sets of many of the disc cards - players were listed with either of two teams. When the set isn't scarce, neither is either variation.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options

<< <i>take you're ignorance somewhere else asshat.

julen >>

YES! It's pretty hard to top asshat. I applaud anybody who has this word in their vocab.
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    BTTT

Most of the disc sets of the 1970s were made by "Michael Schecter Associates (MSA)" (whoever that was) so they are known as MSA discs. In 1976 there were a set of blank backs and in 1977 there were a set with generic advertising on the back now know as "customized discs" This is the disc list I work off for the 1970's: BigT/TAstee Freeze; Buckmans; Burger Chef; Carousel; Chilly Willie; Crane; Dairy Isle; Detrois Ceasar; Holiday Inn; Isalys; MSA blank back; Orbacher; Papa Gino; Pepsi; Red Barn; Saga; Safelon; Town Club; Wendy, WIffle Ball, Zipz.

The toughest of all of these in my opinion are Red Barn and Saga with stars like Ryan and Schmidt going for > several hundred dollars each when they come up on EBay. A next level of difficulty is customized, Detroit Caesar, Wendy and Safelon. Burger Chef is also tough because they had to be punched out of a paper placemat and therefore a lot of them were / are ruined.

The sets from the 1980s incliude: English Chicken, Fantastic Sam, FBI, Holsum, Holsum/Schafer, Jiffy Pop, KAS, King B, Kitty Clover, MAster Bread, On Deck, Peter Pan, Ranier Farms, Subway and Thom McAn.

The toughest of these are Thom McAn and FBI. Thom McAn Ripken and Brett are rarest and when seen, go for > $150. FBI is near impossible to get in NM shape. They are two disc panels that need to be punched out (like the burger Chefs) but all the panels have indents where the juice drink containers sat. To be NM you'd have to find one taken direct from the factory before use. A dented Ryan just EBay'ed for $761 a few weeks ago. I'll attach a scan of mine (although dents dont show up).
  • Options
    Wow that is some good information, Thanks!!! I would really like to get a hold of some Red Barn ones, memories of going to that place as a kid!!