Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I'm stumped on the ID of this Roman

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can it be Septimus Severus? Doesn't look like one to me. But I'm ignorant on these.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am without the slightest hint of a clue. The bust looks like Clodius Albinus, but the inscription (what I can see of it) does not seem to match.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Dead King in the Sutton Hoo helmet is stumped, then I know I don't even wanna try to guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I think that its a provencial drachm of Caesarea in Cappodocia of Sept Severus. The last 3 letters on the left of the obverse are the greek for SEP. The right is SEOVEROS (I think).

Very nice condition. BTW, the reverse is Mt Argaeus.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks STLNATS

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that its a provencial drachm of Caesarea in Cappodocia of Sept Severus. The last 3 letters on the left of the obverse are the greek for SEP. The right is SEOVEROS (I think).

Very nice condition. BTW, the reverse is Mt Argaeus.

image >>

If there was a "hats off" icon, I'd use it right now...well done STLNATS!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    You're welcome.

BTW, these things are dated by regal year by the letters in the exergue of the reverse. If I understand correctly, the "ET" is the setup and what looks an R is the date, but R isn't a greek number but a specialized reference should tie it down.

This seems to be a very early portrait as well, before the mints got used to Severus. Really a great, project coin. I'm jealous! Congrats!

imageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>If there was a "hats off" icon, I'd use it right now...well done STLNATS! >>

Here, you can borrow mine.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, these things are dated by regal year by the letters in the exergue of the reverse. If I understand correctly, the "ET" is the setup and what looks an R is the date, but R isn't a greek number but a specialized reference should tie it down. >>

Did a bit of checking the reference sites. Here's your coin, Sydenham 389, pictured on Wildwinds:

As for the "number R", Doug Smith's website has the answer - it's basically a common (at the time) typo for "B", which is Greek number "2". Year 2 of Septimus Severus was 194 AD.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Good followup info Sapyx! I'm always reluctant to assume a typo in an area that I'm not familiar with, so thank you!

Also, the date ties very nicely with the very early portrait style. Later issues seem to have a more conventional portrait.