Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please help ID this coin?

As you can see, I am new to the forum as a poster, but have been a lurker for years. I really enjoy reading all of the excellent post on interesting topics. I hope that I can contribute in a little something as time goes on.

Anyway, I would like help identifiying this coin. I am pretty sure it is Nepal with a date range of 1890-1950. I can NOT find it in the latest editions of Krause. If anyone can direct me down the right path, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Indian princely State- Baroda, 1892 if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the forums!image

Ed to add: actually, I'm not sure of the date on this 2 Paisa, somewhere between 1884 and 1891. 1892 2 paisa was struck on a smaller planchet. Prices for an XF example range $5 to $12 depending on date. Your piece is known as the short hoof variety. A coin struck with a horses hoof on it should tell you that their horses were very important to them.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Here's another one with a very strongly rotated reverse.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, I'm glad Laurent stepped up to bat on that one, 'cause I would've said "Central Asian something-or-other doohickey, probably Indian". image

(Actually, I might've also guessed Nepal first.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    The first coin seems to be VS 1949/8 (1892). The second one is the regular VS 1949.
  • Thanks, Laurentyvan! It was under my nose the whole time. I see it now. I just would not have guess India because I have no experience with this country pre 1900.
    Incidently, I aquired this coin in a bulk purchase and the previous owner had not a clue what it was either.

Now to figure out the date.
  • based on the weight of the first coin of 13.00 grams, I would say you are correct, koincollect.
    It must be a thin planchet type. (though if this is thin, those thick ones must be like a rock in your pocket)