Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do you shoot ancient copper/bronze?

I've had miserable results taking any coin photos lately, but ancient copper/bronze has got to be the worst!

For those of you who collect ancient or medieval copper, what techniques do you use? How do you get the details of an old Roman bronze to show? I can't! They just come out as dark mystery blobs worthy of the worst eBay auction.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wish I could help, but that is something I am not very good at either.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>How do you shoot ancient copper/bronze? >>

With a rusty old shotgun?
    Roy

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Very dark copper and bronze have the characteristics of a black hole that absorbs light; the reflectivity is almost nil.

I get my best results with one 40W bulb and one 60W bulb (GE reveal) positioned at 10:00 and 2:00 about 18" above the coin and the camera about 3" away.

Hah, I've even resorted to clipping a 2 x 2 with coin to the inside flange of the light hood of one of the gooseneck lights and imaged it that way, and it worked- a technique I've used a few times as the articulation of the gooseneck allows easy positioning in front of the camera any way I want it. With the bulb lit only an inch or so away from the coin it'll brighten almost any surface.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Overexpose it by a bit, or lighten it up a bit in photoshop or something.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.