Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Symbolism on Coins

Some of my coins - from widely scattered places - have on the reverse two kinds of leaves. Some I take to be laurel and oak, which I assume represent honor or glory and strength (roughly analogous to our olive branch and arrows). Others have two different unlobed leaves. Any ideas about what they might represent?

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    There are tons of coins with wreaths on them. But I can't think of very many specifics right now... which ones are you thinking of? from which countries?
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Many coins also use the Olive Branch and leaves to represent peace.
    Shep
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mistake what this one symbolizes.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Leapt before I looked. (How unusual!) I mean I shouldn't have even brought this up when I can't post pictures.

You probably all see any number of variations of rookie fever.

I was thinking a single kind of plant might be just ornamental, but two different ones might mean there's an interesting symbolism. Anyhoo ... right now I'm looking at a 1917 Peru 1 libra and a 1932 Tunisia 20 franc. They have nearly identical pairs of strings of leaves, one kind long and narrow, the other shorter and wider.

The Tunisia - I was excited that, with the help of Wikipedia, I could read the date in Arabic (1351) and correlate it with 1932.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of my coins - from widely scattered places - have on the reverse two kinds of leaves. Some I take to be laurel and oak, which I assume represent honor or glory and strength (roughly analogous to our olive branch and arrows). Others have two different unlobed leaves. Any ideas about what they might represent? >>

Some of the plants used in wreaths have deep, ancient symbolism behind them. A laurel wreath, for example, was used by the ancient Greeks and Romans as a symbol for victory, either athletic or military. The olive branch, as part of a wreath or by itself, is symbolic of peace. The oak was a sacred symbol of Zeus/Jupiter and has long been a symbol of strength.

More normally, "national" wreaths use plants native to the country as a simple geographic symbol. For example, old Canadian coins show a wreath of maple, Indian coins featured a wreath of Lotus blossoms and New Zealand coins feature a wreath of silver fern.

As to your specific examples: the Tunisian coin's picture is a bit blurry in Krause, but it's probably laurel or olive.

The Peruvian coat of arms is supported by a wreath of laurel and oak.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)