Home Metal Detecting
Options

WHICH DETECTOR SHOULD I BUY ??

im looking to upgrade, i have to believe there have been advancements since my '93 model garrett GTA 1000 i primarily coin hunt, and i like the simplicity of the GTA 1000 and was thinking about maybe getting a GTI 1500 or maybe the GTI 2500 or i would consider a different brand/model i need some input !

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a similar move. I graduated from a '92 model GTA-500 to the GTI-2500. Being a Garrett GTA-series veteran, I thought I would have an easy learning curve, and I did indeed learn the controls of the 2500 quickly. Mastering it has taken a little longer than I expected, however, but I have not been out too much with it, and I guess I could say I have not completely mastered it yet.

Aside from the added weight and the lack of a chestmount feature instead of the lame hipmount that just detaches the battery pack and unbalances the machine (which you no doubt are familiar with from the GTA-1000), I am satisfied with the 2500 and look forward to using it more.

If you move up to the 2500 from the 1000, you will have very little problem learning the new machine. The weight will take some getting used to, though.

As it happens, there is another thread about the 2500 at the top right now. (Edit- oh yeah, you already replied to it.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    im not sure i wanna spend the money just to have a detector that talks to me, i have to believe there have been improvements in the 15 years since the GTA came on the scene such as depth improvement, maybe discrimination, that kind of thing, from what ive read, other than the treasure talk thing, (which i doubt i will use much) and the size imaging, the GTA 1000 isnt all that ancient
  • Options
    Take a look at the GTP series.
    The 1350 is the top of that line and has some of the bells and whistles of the GTI.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the money, I don't think the GTI-2500 adds that much value over the GTA-1000.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it- you have a fine detector already, which is plenty capable of gettin' the good stuff. If you feel the need to splurge, maybe treat yourself to bigger and/or smaller accessory coils and/or a nice pinpointer, if you wanna upgrade your arsenal, but nothing is wrong with the machine you have, and it could be considered the lowest rung of the "top tier" machines.

That goes for the other brands as well. By the time you're at the upper-midlevel or lower high-end machines like what you already have, you've got enough in the way of equipment, at least until some new breakthrough is made. While the Imaging size feature of the 2500 is nice, and I like its backlight for night hunting, I wouldn't say it's a better machine than yours- just fancier, with more bells n' whistles. Bells n' whistles are nice to have, but not vital.

If you wanna try another brand, you can always keep your 1000 as a backup.

Maybe try one of them special coils like a HotHead. I've never tried them, personally.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    funny, i was thinking the same thing, i am not convinced that any manufacturer has actually invented a detector that is 100% accurate, the GTA has been a good machine and i have found alot of good stuff with it, i have read the reviews of a few of the current top notch models and its crystal clear that the 100% accurate detector hasnt been produced yet so maybe not all that much has changed since 1993 yes a few more bells and whistles are available, but those bells and whistles are not of interest to me for the most part. a backlight is nice for hunting at night, but i have a tough enough time finding the target in daylight, hunting at night would be unthinkable, i dont need a detector that talks, and i dont need to a sizing feature that is a guess at best, and i dont really want a machine that will detect ANYTHING 20 feet down, cuz im not gonna dig that deep ! the old saying still holds true, "you cant find coins where they aint at" so i'll spend less money on a new detector and more time doing research and find some better places to hunt.
  • Options
    I've always wanted a metal detector. My parents bought me a real cheap metal detector when I was a kid. I wasn't really happy with it but it did make noise when you passed it over a piece of metal. Is there a really good metal detector out there for the beginer? I'm interested in getting one but I wouldn't know where to start.

Russell
    Treasures of a Lifetime: Something of value from a period of time representing someone's life!

Edited: My URL removed! I don't spam!
  • Options
    Russell, You should look for a local dealer that can show you what will work for you. You need to let them know what type of hunting you want to do. You are in the GOLD area of the state, witch might need a defferent type of detector for gold hunting.

This site might help:

Greg is in Foster City, CA
    650-574-2012 WK
    650-346-2848 Cell
    au4greg@sbcglobal.net

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i thought my old garrett GTA was outdated, that is until i read some reviews of some new machines, turns out it is probably as good as anything available today, and since one just sold on ebay for more than half of the original price of 1993 i guess im not the only one that feels that way ive liked the garretts because of one reason, a monkey could turn it on and find coins. and that is no bullsheet it is a true turn on and go detector