Home Sports Talk

Royals announced Alex Gordon will be starting at third.

DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should be a rookie of the year candidate. Geez, there will actually be some excitement in KC with fans following his progress.

Wish they hadn't sent Billy Butler down to the minors, seems like he deserved a chance to start the season in KC.

But nice they got Tony Pena Jr. to take Angel Berrora's place, anybody is better than him.
DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great news for Royals People. Myself as well, my Draft is today so I will do my best to snipe him late. Everyone is touting this kid to be a monster for the Royals this year.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for KC fans, this club will never enjoy any consistent level of success under their current stingy ownership. Any time they develop any player with talent, they seem to look to unload him before he becomes arbitration eligible, or replace him with some aging star well past his prime. It's a shame for the fans in that city.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Things have changed Grote. A HUGE stipulation of Allarid Baird's hiring was that he got control of personnel. He's all ready gotten an extra ten mil to spend this offseason. We shouldn't have to worry about any more of the stuff from the past like

We can keep either Beltran, Damon, or Sweeney, but not more than one so take your pick. image

or

I think Juan Gonzalez is poised for a healthy and productive season. image

They won't be a $100 million team but Baird thinks the market can support an $80 million budget, which is about double where they are at right now.
    Travis
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Things have changed Grote. A HUGE stipulation of Allarid Baird's hiring was that he got control of personnel. He's all ready gotten an extra ten mil to spend this offseason. We shouldn't have to worry about any more of the stuff from the past like

We can keep either Beltran, Damon, or Sweeney, but not more than one so take your pick. image

or

I think Juan Gonzalez is poised for a healthy and productive season. image

They won't be a $100 million team but Baird thinks the market can support an $80 million budget, which is about double where they are at right now. >>

I'd love to see KC spend more in order to be more competitive. Great ballpark and excellent fans in KC.
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    It would be nice to get the pride back in that KC organization! I'm a baseball fan and can't stand when the team's "hands are tied" in regards to payroll. Believe me, I know here in South Florida (Marlins fan) what that's like. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Yeah, but the Marlins have put together some pretty competitive teams with their limited payroll. The Royals have lost 100 games in about 20 years straight.

Except for a couple years ago when they almost made the playoffs???
    Travis
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, but the Marlins have put together some pretty competitive teams with their limited payroll. The Royals have lost 100 games in about 20 years straight. >>

Florida and Oakland have been "models" in terms of how to build and rebuild and rebuild with low payroll and still put winners on the field. Some teams, like the Royals and the Pirates, can't seem to get it right. The Royals had one surprising year recently, but couldn't sustain it. Plus it didn't help that the division suddenly got competitive and became arguably the best in baseball after being the worst in baseball for so many years.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, but the Marlins have put together some pretty competitive teams with their limited payroll. The Royals have lost 100 games in about 20 years straight. >>

Florida and Oakland have been "models" in terms of how to build and rebuild and rebuild with low payroll and still put winners on the field. Some teams, like the Royals and the Pirates, can't seem to get it right. The Royals had one surprising year recently, but couldn't sustain it. Plus it didn't help that the division suddenly got competitive and became arguably the best in baseball after being the worst in baseball for so many years. >>

Also has not helped the Royals that they have had super duper rich ownership who did not want to invest any money for a better product.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KCballboy- Allard Baird? We've got a new GM. Sounds like you're still reeling from that KU loss to UCLA, snap out of it and let's get on to the baseball season.image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    The Marlins are masters at rebuilding.....but, it's still frustrating as a fan to have a winner and then it's dismantled and start again. Hopefully we can get a ballpark built and then get some solid funding for a ballclub that can compete year after year and not just one year and four to five down years between.

I know that I'm a bit spoiled as we've already won two World Championships, but it's not fun watching teams that could possibly contend being sold off piece by piece.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

<< <i>KCballboy- Allard Baird? We've got a new GM. Sounds like you're still reeling from that KU loss to UCLA, snap out of it and let's get on to the baseball season.image >>

WOW! And to think I read over that like 3 times before posting. A prime example of why not to post at 6:30 in the morning.

Dayton Moore. I meant Dayton Moore.
    Travis
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    But David Glass, former CEO of Wal Mart, is the primary owner of the team.

Should you really trust someone whose business monicker was "Falling Prices"?
  • how long before alex gordon is playing for someone else making 8 figures image (how long did it take Johnny Damon?)

<< <i>how long before alex gordon is playing for someone else making 8 figures image (how long did it take Johnny Damon?) >>

In today's game it's not long for any player. You could go down any team's history in the past 10 years and put together a great team of guys that left for more money.

Being an Indians fan you should know. Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton

The Royals only garner more attention because they haven't been able to do anything with their young talent like other teams.
    Travis
  • True, but when was the last time the Royals made an effort, to keep anyone worth keeping? When was the last time they were even competitive?

I spent a week in KC back when Damon was a youngster; the Tribe was in town, I saw four games... attendance wasnt more than 13,000 on any night. A shame too, nice folks in the stands; heck i met Buck O'neil and spent an hour talking to him. It was a great trip and I'd love to go back some day.

Indians had a great run with some great teams. Thome was with them for 12 years, Lofton was with them 9 years (and his numbers post Cleveland pale in comparison) Belle retired 4 years after he left Cleveland; he had a few awesome years but was more trouble than he was worth. Ramirez is still crankin out the numbers but he isnt worth $20 million lol. not for his lack of effort and durability.

The Indians have and still do, sign players for decent money after 2-3 years, which is how they stayed relatively competitive for so many seasons. Im confident they will tie up Sizemore and Hafner for decent money for a few years; same with Sabathia.
    I think Alex Gordon stays for less money though. True he got a huge payday when he was drafted, but he has a pretty good relationship with George Brett, who was one of the main reasons he is here. He's a midwesterner, grew up & went to college in Nebraska. And if the Royals are able to turn it around and be competetive soon with a some of their young talent and new GM, I could see him wanting to stay put.

The Royals have a better chance of keeping him than guys like Beltran who grew up poor and in a foreign country, and Damon a military kid who was always moving.
    Travis
    And one final comment. The greatest thing that could have possibly happened did happen, almost. That talentless, waste of space, worst player in the league, Angel Berroa will be in AAA to start the season. That means his suck won't be able to rub off on Gordon. It should also help Gordon's health in that he won't have to dodge the balls that bounce off of Berroa's chest or fall out of his glove. If there was one ROY that they should have ever gotten rid of. Unfortunately he had a sophmore slump that has now lasted into his 6th year senior season.
    Travis
  • Happy 30 birthday Alex!