Home Metal Detecting
Options

WHAT I FOUND WHILE DETECTING YESTERDAY

Ahhh...there's nothing like spotting the very first rattlesnake of Spring. A big honkin' Western Diamondback. He's not pleased that I woke him from his slumber either.

I also found baling wire, a chrome valve stem cap and a lot of nuts and washers.

J.C.

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh my - growing up in Phoenix, I found a few of them here and there... but I never stayed long enough to take great photos like that - I hope it was a very telephoto lens. Thankfully we don't have to change your name to TWOPUNCTUREWOUNDS image
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Yep he's big and look's very p'od!!

If I was young and dumb again I might have played with himimage but I'm a little older and I think alot smarterimage

Keep your's peeled for those badboy's while out detecting Twodogs.

Oh yea that is a cool pic of the snake.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    I was about 4 feet from him before I spotted him. He blends in so well with the surroundings. I went back to the van and grabbed the camera and it took me a half an hour to find him again. It was a beautiful creature. I too have a lot of respect for those bad boys.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

• Options

Great pics JC!!

Four feet from a snake is about 20 yards closer than I want to be!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It seems I have seen those pictures somewhere before, oh yes, now I remember.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    nice pics...how bout some snake cabobs?...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    They make damn fine hatbands too
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "And the treasure was guarded by a spirit"

Should have looked underneath him.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    aaahhhh! Watch out!
  • Options

<< <i>It seems I have seen those pictures somewhere before, oh yes, now I remember. >>

You'd only see them once if you'd just stick to one forum site.
    J.C.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WHAT I FOUND WHILE DETECTING YESTERDAY >>

A Caps Lock key? image

No, but seriously- I would scream about that in all caps, too. So far I have had two or three snakey encounters in the field, but not one of the rattley ones, yet, thank goodness. While one of my little legless acquaintances fell from a branch and landed across the bill of my cap, swinging right in front of my face and causing premature cardiac arrhythmia, he was fortunately just a little green snake. The other was really, really big, but a black snake, so both of my encounters have been of harmless varieties.

Even so, they made me step back a ways. Had I met your l'il buddy, there, I would've taken a BIG step back, and pronto! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- I sure hope that third picture was taken with a zoom lens...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems I have seen those pictures somewhere before, oh yes, now I remember. >>

You'd only see them once if you'd just stick to one forum site. >>

Likewise image
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    That right there is why you never detect in the desert with headphones on.

Those are some excellent pics TD. Worthy of framing and selling up on the highway with the rock girl. image
  • Options

<< <i>That right there is why you never detect in the desert with headphones on.

Those are some excellent pics TD. Worthy of framing and selling up on the highway with the rock girl. image >>

Exactly why I don't use headphones. You're smarter than I gave you credit for, DR. image

Unfortunately the rock babe got run off from her spot by ADOT. I miss her...
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i>That right there is why you never detect in the desert with headphones on. >>

Try these.

Keep your good ear to the wind and your bad ear to the speaker.

Of course that's easy for me to say, as I'm not hunting in rattle snake country. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>

<< <i>That right there is why you never detect in the desert with headphones on. >>

Try these.

Keep your good ear to the wind and your bad ear to the speaker.

Of course that's easy for me to say, as I'm not hunting in rattle snake country. image >>

those might work!

TwoDogs: You're smarter than I gave you credit for, DR. Gee thanks TD.... I think image

Out here we get these green buggers
    imageimage

They are quite pretty and quite nasty all at the same time. The venom of the Mojave Green rattler is composed of hemolytic and neurotoxic elements, which means it destroys the red blood cells resulting in blood clotting problems and causes nerve damage. Its venom affects the nervous system and can lead to paralysis.

• Options
    Are those Mojaves? I can't see the tails. We have green rattlers here that people mistakenly call Mojave Greens but are actually Blacktail Rattlesnakes. They have a portion of black at the base of the tail and the same basic "coontail" as the Western Diamondback.
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i>Are those Mojaves? I can't see the tails. We have green rattlers here that people mistakenly call Mojave Greens but are actually Blacktail Rattlesnakes. They have a portion of black at the base of the tail and the same basic "coontail" as the Western Diamondback. >>

Yes, those are our local nasties. I found one in my shop one day and caught it. I put in in a terrarium on my desk in the office for about a year before letting it go back into the wild about 10 miles from the shop. (I didn't want it coming back for its weekly meal of white mice)
  • Options
    Cool. I've owned Boas and Bullsnakes, but never a rattler.
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i>Cool. I've owned Boas and Bullsnakes, but never a rattler. >>

It was definitely a cool conversation piece. He was about 2ft long when I got him and he grew about 6 inches in the year. Very quick acting toxin. Drop a mouse in and he would hit it almost instantly and within 10 seconds the mouse was dead. I had to let him go when an employee complained. Just as well, I didn't want to keep it forever, it needed to be free.
  • Options
    Growing up in Southern Oregon it was necessary to keep a hoe (the gardening kind) next to the door of the house. That way, when you opened the door and there was a rattlesnake coiled up on your porch as sometimes they were, you could grab the hoe and kill it before it had time to strike. I lived at the base of a rocky hill, so not everybody had to do this.
    Bob