Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it worth trying to certify non-FS Jeffersons from the early 1960s?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm wondering if there are any potential profits to be made making MS66 non-FS coins at PCGS for the 1960-1969 dates. Since there are so few FS coins to go around, I figure MS66s would be at least somewhat desirable.

I've been slowly breaking up a complete set of Jeffies, and several of the early 1960s coins have no chance of making FS, but they are otherwise well struck, mark free, and in a few cases, very attractively toned. At the same time, I'm not a big fan of spending $18 to certify a $20 coin.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much all ms66's from 1960-1969 sell for $100 or more. 68-d is probably the only exception (someone just got a boatload of them graded). Some can go for $500+. I'll pay $1000 or more for an ms66 61-d,62-d or 63-d.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you make more than one PCGS MS66 non-FS 1961-D, 1962-D and 1963-D, please contact me. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a 1964 MS66 for over $300.00 on eBay last week. Got lucky on a couple of people wanting it. But the MS65 1964-D would not draw a bid at $25.00. These were both Non FS coins.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I sold an MS66 69-S for over a grand. they are tougher than you think, Look for MS67's and hope you get 66 on them. that is how I go about it.
  • Options
    "But the MS65 1964-D would not draw a bid at $25.00. These were both Non FS coins. "

That 64-D was always a relatively common coin in high grade,
    Pieces with very nearly full steps are also very common
    on that date.

Only pieces with the full sharp five steps are rare,
    on the 64-D. The mintage was up in the bazillions.

Regards, Steve.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've sold a number of 1964-PD's over the years because, for the most part, they had crappy strikes! With the master hubs working into their 25-26th years at that time, many collectors, including yourselves, will never see a full detailed strike example. Recently, a very nice 1964 PCGS MS65FS was added and IMO it's a MS66FS. It can be seen in my profile. I believe the pedigree is A. Craven to M. Dingledien.

Is it worth trying to certify non-FS Jeffersons from the early 1960s?

If you believe you have any EDS examples in the bunch, I'd like to personally see them. It might be a waste of money sending them in to find out that way.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection