Home Sports Talk
Options

Papelbon to close, Tavarez #5 starter

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was reading boston.com and noted the decision has apparently been made. One of the games best closers last year will at least start the season in that role. Tavarez, who supposedly does well when he has a "defined role," will have plenty of pressure to perform as an AL starter in one of the more difficult-to-please markets in the Majors.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news! I think Papelbon should stay in his closer role. Tavarez will be fine as long as Sox Nation does not boo him, he gets to flustered and then bad things happen.

This was our only real hole, the closer position and now it is filled. GO SOX!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Great news! I think Papelbon should stay in his closer role. Tavarez will be fine as long as Sox Nation does not boo him, he gets to flustered and then bad things happen.

This was our only real hole, the closer position and now it is filled. GO SOX!!!! >>

a catcher who can hit may be a hole this year if last year and Spring training is any indication
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Freddie Kruger, I mean Tavarez, was not a bad starter for the Sox last year. In fact, I'd say he was pretty darn good all things considered. As much as I would have loved seeing Pap as a starter, this is probably the best move for the team as it maximizes the talents of both players.

Besides, if Clemens does wind up in Boston this year, Papelbon will get a chance to etch his name in the record books as the closer who capped off the Rocket's team-recording breaking 193th win.
  • Options
    Now that Papelbon has ben named the full time closer I feel more comfortable with the bullpen situation as everyone can now assume the roles they were hired. Bullpen buy committee has never worked. However; for some reason I don't feel comfortable with Julian Tavarez in the rotation. Yea, we are talking about a 5th starter and what a great problem to have compared to most teams. I just don't think he has the make up or talent to be anything but a spot starter and is more suited for long relief and the "mop up" role.

Less than 2 weeks until opening day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Freddie Kruger, I mean Tavarez, was not a bad starter for the Sox last year. In fact, I'd say he was pretty darn good all things considered. As much as I would have loved seeing Pap as a starter, this is probably the best move for the team as it maximizes the talents of both players.

Besides, if Clemens does wind up in Boston this year, Papelbon will get a chance to etch his name in the record books as the closer who capped off the Rocket's team-recording breaking 193th win. >>

Wow, is that all the games Rocket won in Boston? Man, he has been gone a long time huh? I would have thought 230 wins plus off the top of my head ...... amazing .... he has won 44% of his games in a uni outside of Boston. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Tavarez? you mean the secret love child of Pizza the Hutt and manuel Noriega? Don't believe me..... watch and learn!

THiS:

+
    This:

=
    This!
    The sox should back up the truck for Clemens and deport Tavarez image
  • Options
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I don't think Tavarez will be in the rotation for very long. Jon Lester is waiting in the wings, he'll start the year in AAA to make sure he is fully recovered from last season's medical treatments...but I'd bet they call him up by June for the 4 or 5 spot in the rotation. I don't even think we need to get involved in the Clemens circus at this point - the staff and bullpen look more than ready to win without him.
  • Options
    I just hope Paelbon doesnt wreck his arm again for your sake. The sox bullpen really weighed them down the last month of the season.
  • Options

<< <i>I just hope Paelbon doesnt wreck his arm again for your sake. The sox bullpen really weighed them down the last month of the season. >>

Red Sox Nation shares the same concern. When we hear "9th inning only and save opportunities only" we all think "yeah, right." That kind of restriction is what he needs, at least until the playoffs. image
  • Options
    I get a little nervous thinking about Papelbon getting sore at the end of last season, thats why I was sceptical about tossing him in the rotation. Hopefully he will not log in as many innings early on and stay healthy for the stretch run.
  • Options
    I honestly thought he wanted to start - but, if you read the reports, he is saying that he wants to close...and be a closer for the rest of his career. At least if Timlin, Donnelly, and Pineiro are healthy, they can use them for the 3-run saves, and keep Papelbon for the 9th inning tight games. In any event, the only question for the Sox this season has now been answered.
  • Options
    Jerry,

Lots of talk outside of the Boston Globe and Boston area bubble that the Sox rotation is full of noting but questions. Of course New England is drunk on Sox juice but I would be worried about that rotaion if I was a Sox fan. Schilling is flat out old, Beckett is flat out IMMENSLY over-rated, Wakefield scares absolutely nobody, and D-Mat is a unknown quantity at this point.

The Sox have a very questionable rotation image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Dan, say what?

I realize the strength of the Sox rotation will be downplayed by the NY media (I listen to, and read both) but the edge at this point must clearly go to Boston. Matsuzaka has been impressive this spring (the Yanks are thinking about sending their "answer" to him - Igawa - down to AAA to start the year because he hasn't had a great spring), Schilling may be old but he's fully recovered from the injuries of 2005 and eager to show the Sox management he deserves another contract, Beckett will bounce back to form after an underwhelming 2006 (where he still won 16 games) and Wakefield is steady as they come. Tavarez at number 5? Maybe the only weak spot, but even he showed he can pitch well as a starter late last season. The upgraded bullpen, and now with Papelbon at the back of the pen, will make the Boston staff very tough to beat.
  • Options
    Jer,

Beckett won 16 games in SPITE of himself. That had everything to do with the Sox offense and hardly anything to do with good pitching. The Sox have just as many questions in the rotation as the Yanks do. Obviously both of us are going to see the good in our own teams and dismiss as much as possible any negative.

Anyway, I am looking forward to lots of banter back and forth!

• Options
    schilling looks strong, Becket is a question mark on his consistency, but he has incredible talent; and he is still getting used to the AL; wakefield is def. a question mark; I hope Lester comes back as their solid 5th starter; hes a bulldog on the mound. and Dice K has been very very impressive thus far; he's the real deal.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Jer,

Beckett won 16 games in SPITE of himself. That had everything to do with the Sox offense and hardly anything to do with good pitching. The Sox have just as many questions in the rotation as the Yanks do. Obviously both of us are going to see the good in our own teams and dismiss as much as possible any negative.

Anyway, I am looking forward to lots of banter back and forth!
    image >>

I agree. Not sure why people are so stoked about Beckett, since he's only had one season where he posted solid results and pitched over 150 innings. Maybe he turns into the next great pitcher, but there have been plenty of guys with numbers as good or better than his after 4 years who have gone on to have mediocre careers. Wakefield is solid, and there's no reason to think that Schilling won't have a good year, but the rest of the staff simply has not proven itself at the major league level.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think Tavarez will be in the rotation for very long. Jon Lester is waiting in the wings, he'll start the year in AAA to make sure he is fully recovered from last season's medical treatments...but I'd bet they call him up by June for the 4 or 5 spot in the rotation. I don't even think we need to get involved in the Clemens circus at this point - the staff and bullpen look more than ready to win without him. >>

Rumor has it a healthy, improving Kyle Snyder might work his way into the rotation if (or when) Tavarez falters.
  • Options
    I think Lester strengthens and is back by June or July and becomes the number five.
  • Options
    No doubt - I like Lester a lot, and I think it could be as soon as late May when we see him back in Fenway.
  • Options

<< <i>No doubt - I like Lester a lot, and I think it could be as soon as late May when we see him back in Fenway. >>

the sooner, the better!
  • Options
    I dont think Lester will be as strong a starter as we hope this kid needs another season under his belt.