Home Stamps Forum
Options

QUESTIONS ABOUT A 114 SCOTTS IMPERF

I HAVE NOT BEEN BACK TO THIS FORUM FOR A LONG TIME.
I HAVE SOME INTERESTING QUESTIONS ON SOME OF MY STAMPS.

I AN NOT WELL EXPERIENCED ABOUT FORUMS BUT WILL TRY MY BEST

I HAVE A SCOTTS 114 LOCOMOTIVE THAT IS AN IMPERF

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF SUCH A THING?

SHOULD I GET IT AUTHENICATED?

WHO WILL AUTHENICATE?

HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?

I HAVE A SCAN IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

MY EMAIL IS DLW1955@HOTMAIL.COM

WILSON6330@COMCAST.NET

Comments

• Options
    Lonedan - #114 does not exist as a genuine imperforate. What you have, assuming it has a genuine grill, is a perforated stamp with trimmed perforations. This stamps exist with jumbo margins, particularly from edges of the sheet - a common old time amusement was to make fake imperfs. Nobody will expertize it and it is of no value.

If unused, and without grill, it may be a proof. I assume your copy is used.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    THE STAMP DOES HAVE A GRILL.
    BUT WHAT IS ODD YOU CAN SEE THE START OF ANOTHER COPY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE STAMP.
    IF YOU CAN SEND ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS I WILL SENT THE SCAN TO TOU

THANKS DAN
    WILSON6330@COMCAST.NET
  • Options
    Hi Lonedan. Are you able to post a scan here?

Jerry
  • Options
    I WILL TRY

I AM KIND OF NEW TO THIS
    WILSON6330@COMCAST.NET
  • Options
    Dan - I don't need to see a scan - it is a fake. The portion of next stamp you see is because your stamp was at the edge of a pane and shows portion of stamp from adjacent pane. The sheets were laid out with panes that were separated by scissors or knifes rather than perforated. Your stamp is an edge copy with one natural straight edge and the other sides have had the perfs trimmed fraudulently.

Sorry.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    The shop I work at has a 114 with no grill. Came in with a collection.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Richard. I didn't know about this with 114.

Jerry
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Paul - 99.9999% of #114's without grill are actually pressed out grills. You can't get a cert for a no grill (unless a #125). If there was a legitimate #114 without grill actually issued in error, there is really no way to tell it from a pressed grill.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Richard, I'll pass it on.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    regarding your post on 114's without grill, richard, you say you can no longer get a cert for a 114 without grill--when did that happen? I have a cert, admittedly not recent, from the PF for a 114a without grill and with og. This is for informational purposes only, not to disagree with your statement about no grills being pressed out grills. By the way, never did send the used 45 with UK cancel in for expertization that I showed you a few years ago--basically don't trust the expertizing services. The last time I sent one in they put a tiny perf tear into a VF/XF unused 67 buff. I also don't believe them when they say the expertization process is blinded to the submitter.
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Redrobin - My statement was over-simplified. The info about pressed grills really only applies to used stamps. And, actually, there is at least one on cover example that received a cert years ago as a no grill. It was "sweated" off the cover which preserved the full original gum after it had been seen by the PF before the procedure.

I'm afraid I don't remember ever seeing a genuine used #45. Also, I have not heard any confirmed reports of either the PF or PSE damaging stamps while in their possession although it is certainly possible.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com