Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The new Liberty Seated Type Set is now on the Registry

Exciting new type set by design type! Complete Liberty Seated Type Set

Comments

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Someday i hope you share pictures of your set. I know it is REALLY a highly graded set so there are issues regarding being held hostage, but those of us who swim in a VERY small pond live vicariously through major sets like the ones you collect. Looking forward to more on this subject.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someday i hope you share pictures of your set. I know it is REALLY a highly graded set so there are issues regarding being held hostage, but those of us who swim in a VERY small pond live vicariously through major sets like the ones you collect. Looking forward to more on this subject. >>

follow this link for every picture I have loaded into the Set Registry
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Looks like a fun set. I wouldn't even be close to completing but i may creat one anyway.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Look for a my Seated Type Set in the near future. Welcome back to the board TDN!

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Those coins are just amazing. I'm looking at some of the rarest coins in all of numismatic history.

Just spectacular.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exciting new type set by design type! Complete Liberty Seated Type Set >>

I plan to pursue this set despite that PCGS is trying to break me with those two Gobrecht dollars. image Who else considers them to be patterns?
  • Options
    Who else considers them to be patterns?

Sorry, but these days they're considered to be part of the regular issue series.
  • Options

<< <i>Who else considers them to be patterns?

Sorry, but these days they're considered to be part of the regular issue series. >>

I will sell a kidney and make it work. image Or maybe a gold coin or two.

Edit: Nah, let's stick with the kidney idea. image
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool set! I entered my meager group of Seated coins, and am in position #2, behind TDN. Additions will come very slowly for me, so I don't expect to stay near the top for long, but it's easy to do when there are only 3 sets registered. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    That looks like a really neat set to work on. I know that while working on my Dansco Type Album the seated dollars are pricey. The twenty center and trade dollar aren't as bad but still can be a little expensive. As for the others I don't know.

What are the tough holes to fill and are there any real stoppers in this set for an average collector?

Thanks,
    Millertime
  • Options
    The real stoppers will be the Gobrechts and the no drapery 1839 half.
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Cool new set..just pushed the button on mine too...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    TDN this might be the first time i've ever seen you not at the top of the registry list, you're slacking image

EDIT: Scher that set is amazing! got any pics?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I was going to ask if proofs would be permitted. I am planning to do my type set in MS, except for the Gobrecht patterns, of course. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, with the exception of the Gobrechts and 3 other pieces I had this set nearly complete a few years ago (NGC coins included) but moved in another direction. Always late to dinner.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>The real stoppers will be the Gobrechts and the no drapery 1839 half. >>

I agree with that. Among the Gobrechts, the 1839 Original was nearly impossible to find for my clients. I think the PCGS price guide has it woefully underpriced! I think only 14 or so originals of that date have been certified in all. This is a real stopper. 1836 Gobreccts are common by comparison.

Althought the 1839 No Drapery Half is tough in AU and better, I find the No Drapery quarter equally as tough by comparison, maybe even tougher than the half in high grades.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    One must remember that PCGS went through a revision of what they'll certify as an original gobrecht. This fact means that there are many coins that would be considered originals today in restrike holders. In fact, I bought my 1836 [issue of 1837] original in an old restrike holder and got it recertified. You may need to do the same on behalf of your clients...
  • Options

<< <i>One must remember that PCGS went through a revision of what they'll certify as an original gobrecht. This fact means that there are many coins that would be considered originals today in restrike holders. In fact, I bought my 1836 [issue of 1837] original in an old restrike holder and got it recertified. You may need to do the same on behalf of your clients... >>

Thre's a problem with that approach which is significant, however. Until the coin is out of the slab, and I wouldn't buy a raw one for a client, one is not sure what PCGS will do. I wouldn't risk serious money on behalf of the client unless I knew for sure of the designation. The edge might tell the story, but in the holder, how would I know? Just by reverse die orientation? Even that approach is not always reliaible as far as a PCGS variety designation.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • Options
    It's not the edge, it's the alignment and perfection of the die state. For the 1839, look for die alignment IV [medal turn, eagle level] and absolutely no die cracks in the reverse legend or die rust pits on the obverse. That type and state of coin will now be certified as an original.
  • Options
    And the first 100% complete set chimes in! Seated Type Set
  • Options
    That's one amazing set!

• Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    Hats off to #1...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    So Scher, any pics? Please image

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've be watching for worthwhile no drapery 25c's and 50c's to buy for the past 5 years. The quarters definitely outnumber the halves.
    There might be one MS63 or MS64 half on the market at any one time yet probably a half dozen to dozen quarters. The quarters come nicer as well. I've seen a number of the MS63-67's halves and most are disappointing. Yet I've seen a few of the gem MS 65-68 quarters and most of them are rather pleasing. I've yet to see a MS64 or better no drapery half in hand that I actually liked.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    You have some amazing coins, TDN.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)