Home Stamps Forum
Options

POLL: How old are you?

I am a coinee. I have read a lot of disparaging remarks about stamp collectors being a bunch of old guys and collecting stamps is dying. Are they right?

I voted "just show me the results".

GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!

Comments

• Options
    Well, I'm not a guy but I'm 50 so, I don't know if you consider that old or not. I still like to consider myself middle aged rather than old.
    That could just be a female thing. image
  • Options
    I'm not old!

But I still collect stamps! The only thing different is I collect everything! It used to be just stamps & coins!

Russell
    Treasures of a Lifetime: Something of value from a period of time representing someone's life!

Edited: My URL removed! I don't spam!
  • Options
    "collecting stamps is dying" If you had put this remark up here prior to May of last year I would have to of had to go along with it pretty much. Things have changed and vastly so. The upward swing that has taken hold of stamps is stronger than that of coins and currency combined right now.. No kidding either! But please agree and encourage remarks you may hear or see that say something else. Things have moved way too high and way too fast. Some of the household names in coins are here to stay with stamps also. For starters, please go to the PSE homepage and check out Jay Parrino's...yes The Mint...new website for stamps. Just incredible!

Jerry
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955

<< <i>...I don't know if you consider that old or not. >>

At 56 I don't think 50 is so old anymore. image
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    I'm 38 but look younger and act even younger.
  • Options
    I'm 42 and have been collecting stamps since childhood. And I'm certainly not an 'old guy', young gorgeous woman is more like it. Tee Hee Can't you tell by my avatar?

• Options

I don't consider it to be dying just yet! Not from the prices I'm seeing on the online auction sites, in Linn's and in the AP. I 'm in my mid forties but I've been a stamp collector since I was 19yrs old and I think the hobby is alive and well. Don't quite know where the interest is coming from because it does still seem to be an older persons hobby, maybe all those baby boomers with retirement cash to spend now, I don't know! I tried coins once, but ended up selling off most of my collection for emergency cash, I only kept some circulated stuff and my proof set collection. Don't see myself going back to coins, have gone back to my first love, which is stamps. I have never really tired of them. I truly hope people never lose interest in stamp collecting, it's such a great hobby! image