Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

UPDATED PHOTO (as promised): 1963-D Lincoln Cent

It is really hard to believe that this coin is still weighted the same as most of the other memorials in the set with a pop of just 40/0. I don't know if many lincoln collectors have noticed but the pop has gone up by 5 since January and dropped back down 1 to 40. I passed on one at the last Baltimore show and one other last month. It took a couple of years to find one I really liked but boy does it pay to have patience. A huge THANKS to Jaime H. who couldn't have been a more stand up guy to deal with a few months ago when I acquired this coin. Let's just say I got very lucky that I ended up with this particular coinimage

Comments

• Options
    Congrats Ellewood. You don't owe me anything though.

It looks like the pop went up another 2 to 41. It was 20 when I first started paying attention in early 2004.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    WOW. I just checked it 3 days ago when I PM'd you about the pop going to 39. Someone made those two in the last day or so! Either hoards and rolls are opening up...or PCGS is getting more lenient on the date. I seriously doubt the latter though. image
  • Options
    image Congratulations Toby! That is a great addition to your memorial collection. I'm real excited
    for you. Your wife and Emily Ann's picture is a great addition too. Happy hunting.

Michael-RegistryNut

imageimageimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...BTW, I doubt WS will ever own a 66 example. That kind of money will buy too many great MS wheats!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I'd love an FS-025.8 in 66RD.
  • Options
    image Great addition Toby, Congratulations. image
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    It is always a great feeling after a long search to find just the right coin to fill a slot.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    bump for the update image
  • Options
    edited first post and added photo as promised.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>edited first post and added photo as promised. >>

The image shows just how special that Lincoln is.

Congrats on the coin. image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    Hey RegistryNut, how's my old 63-D doin' these days? Back when I sold off my set, this was BY FAR the toughest lincoln to let go of.
  • Options
    Hard to believe not even one '7 to date. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hey RegistryNut, how's my old 63-D doin' these days? Back when I sold off my set, this was BY FAR the toughest lincoln to let go of. >>

Hey Toby,
    The 63-D is doin just fine. I'm still really glad to own it and it's one of my favorite Memorials. In fact, along with my ms70rd sf 2006, it is my favorite coin. I sure thank you again for the first dibbs offer. And what a
    great offer that was! I got to cherry pick the fabulous TBL Collection before everyone else. Whoo hoo! Well, except for the 43 steelie. WaterSport already had dibbs on that one.

On another note, I didn't realize the 63-D came from our own LincolnsRule. I thought you acquired it through Jaime Hernandez at PCGS. image

If LincolnsRule could give this coin up, the one in his Registry set must be the finest 63-D there is. image

Nice to remember past coin stories. I hope to never forget any of them. image

RegistryNut
  • Options
    Right, it was not mine. I guess I mistakenly said thanks in the message above! I just served as a reference for the other Jaime H who I had dealt with and met at a show. I'm quite happy with my 63-d but it would be fun to see RN's and compare!
  • Options
    RN,

I'm glad to hear that the coin is still in your hands. I did acquire it from Jaime Hernandez. What a great guy to deal with. There has GOT to be a 67RD out there SOMEWHERE...maybe hiding out in a roll or mint set....but will someone ever find it????? This is one of the most fascinating (and underrated) non-variety lincoln cents in my opinion. I'll be the first to admit that I regret selling this special coin...but hey...live and learn. I just noticed that one of Ron Bozarth's 63-D in 6 RD just went for almost $1100.00 with the juice in a heritage auction last month. Incredible. Actually, that's where the coin really should be price wise IMO.

If I have the opportunity to acquire another, I will do it. I'll only buy one that is as nice or better than the one I used to own.
  • Options

I do not collect Memorials, but I have a number of "original" rolls of memorial cents. I opened a roll of 63-D last night after reading this thread.

WOW, I understand the issue now! If the roll that I opened is any representation of this date/mint, then that is one very tough date. I saw a group of very poor quality coins. I took them up to my bedroom and threw them in the change jar!

Jack

• Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    I must respond.

The 63-D Lincoln Cent is, by far, the toughest Memorial Cent in MS-66RD. It may not exist in true MS-67RD. If PCGS hasn't slabbed any 61-D or 62-D cents in 67RD
    (and I have seen outstanding examples of these two dates) then certainly the former statement is very understandable. I haven't seen a 63-D cent that really
    "blew me away." (I have slabbed nine MS-66RD coins over a six-year period.)

I have opened and examined a mint sewn bag of 63-D's and didn't find a single coin worth slabbing.

I have tried two bulk submissions of 63-D's, requesting the minimum grade = MS-66RD. The first submission netted 3 66RD's (3/100.) The second submission of
    150 separate coins netted - zero 66RD's!

I buy every obw roll and nearly every tubed roll of 63-D 1c (unless obviously of poor quality) in hopes of finding just ONE coin that, when slabbed PCGS-66RD, will bring
    $750./+ to a registry set collector.

This coin will always be the conditionally scarcest of the regular issue circ strike Lincoln Memorial Cent series (1959-2008.)

This date outpaces its next "competitor" (73-S) by a much wider margin than the current pop reports indicate (46-63D, 77-73S.)

I do like the 63-D cent pictured in this thread. I'd like to see it in person; maybe this coin would "blow me away."
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not collect Memorials, but I have a number of "original" rolls of memorial cents. I opened a roll of 63-D last night after reading this thread.

WOW, I understand the issue now! If the roll that I opened is any representation of this date/mint, then that is one very tough date. I saw a group of very poor quality coins. I took them up to my bedroom and threw them in the change jar!

Jack >>

No way I'm opening my one OBW roll. image
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Hi Toby

Maybe searched sometime ago, rerolled and cellophaned. I got them this way a couple years ago...I maybe searched 20 rolls with these 27 rolls left. Are they pocket change???

Edited to add....I did try an experimental submission.

Cert Number PCGS No. Date Denom Var Grade Status
    13108507 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108508 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108509 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108510 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108511 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108512 2887 1963-D 1C MS65RD Cert Printed
    13108513 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108514 2887 1963-D 1C MS64RD Cert Printed
    13108515 2887 1963-D 1C MS65RD Cert Printed
    13108516 2887 1963-D 1C MS65RD Cert Printed
  • Options
    swampboy,

The odds are that your OBW roll is only worth 50 cents right now. image Why not open it up and see if you have a 1 in a million coin in there?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive found a few stunning memorials at my local BM. He KNOWS how to pick them....but he is too cheap to slab them!

Its a good place to look for those high grades if you understand PCGS grading standards.

OH MIKE, I have this one!

its a sweet coin but the nicks....keep it at 65.
  • Options

No way I'm opening my one OBW roll

Let's just say that there is no way I'm opening any of my rolls from the early thirties. However, if I had anymore 63-D rolls, I'd open 'um in a hearbeat.

Jack

• Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

OH MIKE, I have this one!

its a sweet coin but the nicks....keep it at 65. >>

You musta got that one from WaterSport, he ended up with some of them.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it after reading OTF (on these forunms) how scarce really nice 63 D's are.