Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A Big, Gigantic, Enormous difference in Mints we have!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Philly is suppose to be our Main U.S. Mint. I cannot begin to tell you all of the diffrences I have seen in looking through dozens of rolls of '06 Dimes. The Philly issues are just junk, and I mean pure junk. I found large rim clips on 3 Roosies and tons of flakey looking dull struck through grease dimes. Just pitiful. Its a wonder if I can get one to even grade.

As far as the Denver Mint, its a whole different game. Gleaming white shinny dimes with lots of FB strikes and very few with heavy marks. In fact I just made 10 MS67FB Business Strike dimes and 11 overall, and a grand total of just 1 MS66FB from Philly.

Very sad.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Average Denver quality is almost invariably better (often far better) than Philly.

There is surprisingly little difference in quality at the extreme high end though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Philly is suppose to be our Main U.S. Mint. I cannot begin to tell you all of the diffrences I have seen in looking through dozens of rolls of '06 Dimes. The Philly issues are just junk, and I mean pure junk. I found large rim clips on 3 Roosies and tons of flakey looking dull struck through grease dimes. Just pitiful. Its a wonder if I can get one to even grade.

As far as the Denver Mint, its a whole different game. Gleaming white shinny dimes with lots of FB strikes and very few with heavy marks. In fact I just made 10 MS67FB Business Strike dimes and 11 overall, and a grand total of just 1 MS66FB from Philly.

Very sad.

Later, Paul. >>

I'll 2nd that. Just went through 10 rolls of 06-P's......MS62 on average. No more 06-P 10c rolls for me.............ever!!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Do you think work pride has anything to do with the huge quality difference. Maybe its just the cleaner air in Denver. Could be the great scenery in Denver also.

Ken
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    How about the relative age of the press in use, also how deep in the run the coins were.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    It's the total opposite when it comes to Sacagaweas. Philly is a much easier grade and the Denver coins are always in worse shape. Maybe they do it on purpose to keep everyone guessing.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Government workers just collecting their paychecks while doing the pure minimum and not caring vs (maybe) government workers who actually care about their job?

Stereotyping (but, I was one before when I was younger), but east coast government workers don't seem quite an "enthused" by their job as west coast government workers......they seem more likely to do the least amount of work as possible.

On the whole, government workers don't usually care much about job quality anyway. 9-5, 1 hour lunch, and out of there! (strong stereotyping there)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>On the whole, government workers don't usually care much about job quality anyway. 9-5, 1 hour lunch, and out of there! (strong stereotyping there) >>

Don't be ridiculous! Smoe of us work 7-3, with a half hour lunch!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website