Home Metal Detecting
Options

Got this penny in change

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got this penny in change at the Moffett Commissary.
I saw immediately that there was something "wrong" with it.

(Image Deleted)

It could not have been in circulation for 60 years and looked this good.
It was probably in somebody's collection and somehow got spent.
It is out of circulation again.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    sweet!
  • Options
    WTG! Nice find!
  • Options
    marsfanmarsfan Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Used to go to the bank when I was a kid back in the early 60s and go through rolls and made up a nice collection that way. Only needed the 9 most costly ones when my sister decided to buy candy with them. Fair amount of buffalos and mercurys to.

By the time I found out they were gone and I'm sure there were more than a few happy folks finding these to.

About 20 years later she did the same only at the bar with my dads silver dollars and halves. They realized what was up and called him in and sold them back to him so that was nice of em. I keep a eye on her now.image
    Sorry kids when I die my Mars Attacks cards are coming with me.
  • Options
    My sister bought potato chips with my mercury dime collection. So I feel your pain marsfan! Oh, by the way very nice wheatie.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!
  • Options
    I Still go to the bank and get them to order half dollar rolls.
    Most of the 64's are gone but there are plenty of the 40% silver and now the melt price is about double face, it makes for a relaxing time sitting in the floor with the kids watching a movie.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Nice find on the penny. But to Fuzz. I read in coin magazine under coin finds that people were saying that they were still finding silver. I thought no way. So while at the bank I thought to try it myself. My first roll I purchased the first half dollar looking at me was the reverse of a 1942 Walker. I have found 9 dollars face in Silver halves on 1 40 % silver at the local banks. I have had some happy hunting.
    stubby
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭