Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Rare Parkhurst Hockey Find in England

Rare Parkhurst Hockey Find in England
Mar 13 2007 10:26AM

Every collector, at one time or another, dreams of an amazing hobby find. Maybe it's a stack of cards found at a garage sale. Maybe it's a hand-me-down from an elderly relative. Or maybe it's a pristine set discovered in some out of the way locale.

For most of us, those scenarios will remain the stuff of fantasy. But for Fred Lacroix, one of those dreams came true. Lacroix has owned Fresher Sportscards in London, Ontario for 17 years. He's seen a lot of quality material over the years, particularly of the vintage variety. But he'd never seen anything quite like the spectacular 1952-53 Parkhurst set he recently acquired.

"We've had them on display in the store sporadically and everyone who's seen them has been amazed," Lacroix said. "People who know their vintage [cards] really love them." It's hard not to. Despite being more than half a century old, the cards look as though they were just popped fresh out of the pack.

"The colours are spectacular," Lacroix says. "It's by far the best group of '52-53s we've ever seen."

As amazing as the cards look, it's their background that makes them truly unique. The cards were purchased from a dealer in England, where they'd been stored in a box, untouched and unseen, for 54 years.

"He was a tobacco card dealer," Lacroix says. "I don't think he really knew what he had at first, but he figured it out pretty quickly. The mystery is how they got there in the first place." After consummating the deal and getting the cards in hand, Lacroix decided to have them graded by BGS. "I had confidence in the set. BGS is tough, but I knew it would stand on its own merits."

Lacroix plans to auction the singles from this unique find on eBay in April under the user name freshersc. Want to get an early look at the singles? The entire set is pictured individually, front and back, at www.freshersportscards.com. For more information on the find, email Fred at freshersportscards@bellnet.ca

-- Al Muir

This was cut and pasted from a post off of the Beckett boards
Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    BGSimage
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Good question, why BGS???...even worse, these are slabbed with the BVG holders. So many issues have come up with the BVG holders (trimmed cards, colored cards, fake cards, etc.) that I don't think they even use these anymore.

It may be worth buying the whole collection, busting the cases and resubmitting to PSA...only risk...trimmed cards, colored cards, or the dreaded fake...
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm now a HUGE Oaklahoma fan image
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    You can have the parkhurst cards, I need to get to Oklahoma!!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    In reality, most of those cards are pretty midgrade including the Rocket and Gordie. The Tim Horton rookie looks like the best of the lot.

I agree- why BGS??