Home Sports Talk
Options

Not making the sweet 16 - trouble for Tubby Smith?

I hear he is on the hot seat in Kentucky whose fans are getting restless with the inability of the program to win another championship.

Dick Vitale says the Kentucky fans should get off Tubby's back. Looks like there could be a coaching change coming for the Wildcats.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be heading to Michigan.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    It is 11:27 and Michigan still sucks
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, Tubby has done JUST ENOUGH to keep his job. He is not going anywhere.

Here is my opinion - Tubby is a great coach but a terrible recruiter. Look at what he did with Pitino's kids in 1998. He won a championship. He just can't recruit for some reason. I watched that Kansas vs Kentucky game yesterday, and I thought, "There was a day when those guys would have played for Kentucky. Kansas just outmatched them in every way (with the exception of Randolph Morris down low).

Shane

• Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    The Travis Ford era is going to begin soon.
  • Options
    Hmmmm! I never really thought about Travis Ford. I have always said that Billy Donovan would be the next UK coach (whether it be 1 year from now or 10 years from now ). Travis Ford? Interesting.

Shane

• Options
    Averaging 26 wins over the last 10 years (with 1 title) is not enough for Kentucky???? If Tubby goes what a screw job he got
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Tubby, leave that ungreatful place of Kentucky.

Tubby, with your fantastic track record, you can easily get a good job with a raise somewhere else.

And I'm sure they will be very greatful!

rd

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hear he is on the hot seat in Kentucky whose fans are getting restless with the inability of the program to win another championship.

Dick Vitale says the Kentucky fans should get off Tubby's back. Looks like there could be a coaching change coming for the Wildcats. >>

Well hell, I guess Jim Calhoun better pack his bags then. No NCAA, not even NIT, WTF??? image
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he's on to GOLDEN GOPHERS.....

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hear he is on the hot seat in Kentucky whose fans are getting restless with the inability of the program to win another championship.

Dick Vitale says the Kentucky fans should get off Tubby's back. Looks like there could be a coaching change coming for the Wildcats. >>

I'm probably in the minority, but I agree with Mr. Vitale. Tubby is one of the most underrated and underappreciated coaches in the country. Good luck at Minnesota, Tubby. And good luck to whoever succeds him. Tubby did the right thing by moving on. He deserves better.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I am copying my post from another thread...

I used to always think that Billy Donovan would be the next Kentucky coach whether it was next season or 10 years from now (depending on when Tubby left). After hearing Andy Katz shoot down the notion of Donovan (Florida's A. D. will do anything to keep him), I am leaning towards John Calipari. He make UMass into a national contender, and what he has done with Memphis is amazing. I think he is a great coach and a great recruiter, and a great coach/great recruiter coaching at a great program means great success most of the time.

One thing is for sure, there are going to be some great coaches getting a call from Mitch Barnheart.

Shane