Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The official, but unofficial, legal but illegal Don Mossi / Bill James Thread

Celebrating everything Mossi - Go ahead and share.

Noted baseball historian Bill James described Mossi as such: "Don Mossi was the complete five-tool ugly player. He could run ugly, hit ugly, throw ugly, field ugly and ugly for power. He was ugly to all fields. He could ugly behind the runner as well as anybody, and you talk about pressure ... man, you never saw a player who was uglier in the clutch." Curiously enough, his looks have led to baseball cards featuring him to become very popular amongst collectors.
Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    is there a player set for Mossi yet? It might be fun!

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Noted baseball historian Bill James described Mossi as such: "Don Mossi was the complete five-tool ugly player. He could run ugly, hit ugly, throw ugly, field ugly and ugly for power. He was ugly to all fields. He could ugly behind the runner as well as anybody, and you talk about pressure ... man, you never saw a player who was uglier in the clutch." Curiously enough, his looks have led to baseball cards featuring him to become very popular amongst collectors. >>

It's sad that Bill James stooped so low as to slander the man so - hopefully it was done tongue-in-check.
    Unfortunately, Wikipidia decided to pick it up verbatim and that was not tongue-in-cheek.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Don's numbers weren't ugly... 101 wins.. 80 losses.. 3.43 ERA.. not too bad.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember years ago reading a Beckett and there was a little article done by a kid and he made refferance to Don Mossi, something along the lines of ........as big as Don Mossi's ears...Always wondered about that until I saw his pic.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Bill James is such a pompous tool. He is the baseball version of Peter King and Len Pasqareli. Know it alls and everyone else is a moron

James was a big fan of the Kansas City Royals. Most baseball fans remember the infamous call of Don Denkinger in game 6 of the 1985 World Series. Even Denkinger has admitted he got it wrong. I never condone the abuse the man had to take, but he blew the call and may have cost St. Louis the World Series.

Here is a direct quote from James in his 1986 Baseball Abstract. "There is no other way to put it. Jorge Orta beat out an infield single, and (Jack) Clark argued briefly about the call". Billy Boy must have eating another meatball sandwich and never saw the play.

Him calling anyone ugly is the pot calling the kettle black. Watch out George Clooney, you may have competition. He reminds me of Mr. French on Family Affair.

or this photo entitled "Hey Bill the train is BEHIND you."

• Options
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    If Don Mossi were pitching today he could command a $10 Million a year contaact being he was a solid to very good left handed starter. There's scrub's pitching nowadays making $5-10 million who couldn't carry his jock strap.

In addition, his looks are stunning and very distingished too.
  • Options
    I bet he could hear hand signals from the opposing teams third base coach.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Bill James used to have some very funny derogatory comments about players/managers/front office people. I think it was the 1981 Baseball Abstract where he offered his opinion on what each manager would be doing if there were no major league baseball. For Billy Martin, the entry read "5 to 10 years".

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.