Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How many different wax pack types are there for Topps 1973 Baseball?

I know this was the last year for cards to be issues in series, there must be several different types. Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are five different series of wax packs (Series 1 through 5). Topps also began combining all cards into one series late in 1973, so there are also "All Series" wax packs, which are somewhat tougher to find. All wax packs were 10 cents and contained 10 cards. All OPC wax packs were "All Series" packs. Topps also produced 27-card cello packs (25 cents), and 54-card rack packs in 1973, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Grote-
    I've got 4 different types- pitcher (Carleton), Catcher, Batter, and manager/umpire. What is the 5th?
    imageimageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Grote-
    I've got 4 different types- pitcher (Carleton), Catcher, Batter, and manager/umpire. What is the 5th?

I meant there are five series to the set (Series 1 through Series 5). There are four wrapper variations, 5 if you count the "All Series" wrapper with the promo on the left front side.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the wrapper variations reflect the series?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I found this pick of an all series wrapper.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Grote- Do the all series packs come in each of the 4 different designs, or just the catcher?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Grote- Do the all series packs come in each of the 4 different designs, or just the catcher?

Good question. So far I've only seen all series wrappers with the catcher variation. I've also seen plain wrapper variation wax packs without the "all series" label on the pack itself that were labeled as "all series" packs by GAI on the holder, but I don't believe that is a correct designation on their part.

BTW, Griffins, those 73 GAI 9 packs you pictured looked very sharp, very deserving of the Mint 9 grade.

• Options

<< <i> Grote- Do the all series packs come in each of the 4 different designs, or just the catcher?

Good question. So far I've only seen all series wrappers with the catcher variation. I've also seen plain wrapper variation wax packs without the "all series" label on the pack itself that were labeled as "all series" packs by GAI on the holder, but I don't believe that is a correct designation on their part.

BTW, Griffins, those 73 GAI 9 packs you pictured looked very sharp, very deserving of the Mint 9 grade. >>

Does that mean there are 6 pack variations then, 5 series and the "one series" pack?
  • Options
    Does that mean there are 6 pack variations then, 5 series and the "one series" pack?

There are five series of packs plus the all series packs, but I've also seen "mixed series" packs, too (series 1/2, series 3/4, etc.) so ther are probably more than 6 in the sense that you are referring to.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭

For the 1973 BB wax pack tray do all 3 packs in the tray have the same image on the packs ? or can you get a 73 BB wax pack tray with umpire , pitcher , and batter pictured on each pack in the tray ?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:
    For the 1973 BB wax pack tray do all 3 packs in the tray have the same image on the packs ? or can you get a 73 BB wax pack tray with umpire , pitcher , and batter pictured on each pack in the tray ?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, I'll take it. What's your PP address again? B)

• Options

@gemint said:

That's an old SCD ad and the only photo of a legit 73 tray I have ever seen. I've never seen an actual 1973 tray in person. And high series, too! If one of those surfaced for sale (5th series tray), I'd bet it would go for 20K+.

• Options

do you have the scan of the 71 BB wax tray also ?? just curious where did you even find the picture of the 73 tray?

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@gemint said:

That's an old SCD ad and the only photo of a legit 73 tray I have ever seen. I've never seen an actual 1973 tray in person. And high series, too! If one of those surfaced for sale (5th series tray), I'd bet it would go for 20K+.

Cool. Do you know what year the ad came out? Also, would there be any way to tell what series, like product code on the tray?

• Options

@paulb71 said:
    do you have the scan of the 71 BB wax tray also ?? just curious where did you even find the picture of the 73 tray?

It was an old SCD ad. Not sure of the date. I have never seen even a print ad for a 71 tray.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2021 9:18AM

@gemint said:

@grote15 said:

@gemint said:

Cool. Do you know what year the ad came out? Also, would there be any way to tell what series, like product code on the tray?

Based on the ad, I am assuming it is a 5th (high) series pack. I would expect the product code and backing to be same as the 1974 tray as Topps changed the design in 1970 when they switched to 3-pack trays from 6-pack trays in 1969 and then again in 1975 when wax packs went to 15c from 10c.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@paulb71 said:

It was an old SCD ad. Not sure of the date. I have never seen even a print ad for a 71 tray.

just curious what does SCD stand for? it would be amazing to see a scan picture of a 71 and 73 bb tray in the same week !

• Options

@paulb71 said:

@grote15 said:

@paulb71 said:

just curious what does SCD stand for? it would be amazing to see a scan picture of a 71 and 73 bb tray in the same week !

Sports Collectors Digest, a memorabilia trade publication.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paulb71 said:
    here is a photo you do not see everyday !!

That's pretty cool... :)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow cool sell sheet. I love it.

An observation: Topps really showed the star power in the ‘73 set. Looks like they just took a random stack of cards and laid them out. Even if they only had Series 1 available for the poster you have Aaron, Clemente, B Robinson, the iconic All Time Home Run Leaders card and some league leaders to show.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 2:16PM

Loved reading this letter. Glad the Clemente card was mentioned. I like the full names. Know them for most part for the greats of the70s - Rodney Cline Carew, Michael Jack Schmidt, Reginald Martinez Jackson, etc. etc..

I guess this useless knowledge is probably thanks to Bill Haber based on this.

• Options

@paulb71 said:

Two of those cards were never actually issued and are only proof cards, the Matty Alou in a batting pose as an Oakland A toward the upper left corner and the Phil Hennigan in a pitching pose as a Cleveland Indian toward the right middle were changed to airbrushed portaits of Alou as a Yankee and Hennigan as a Met on the released 1973 Topps cards.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2023 4:39PM

@1963ellsworth22and10

Good catch!

I thought this was the photo that Alou card was based upon, but the uniform looks different…

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2023 9:45PM

Amazing 73 set history detail. I used to have a BBCE sealed 73 box (series 4 I think?) - and sold it last year. I still have an old empty box from one of our group breaks here:

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@paulb71 said:

Very cool dealer sheet! Did you purchase it?

I have yet to see an authentic 1973 tray in person but this sheet at least indicates they were planned for distribution.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@paulb71 said:

Very cool dealer sheet! Did you purchase it?

I have yet to see an authentic 1973 tray in person but this sheet at least indicates they were planned for distribution.

no I did not purchase this, it is just a photo I found when I continue to search for a 71 or 73 BB wax pack tray. I found the half a case of 73 wax trays the most interesting thing in the photo.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul Great letter, thanks for posting here.

I found it very interesting the list of "veterans" that Topps omitted from their 1973 set based on their belief that they would not make their team's roster in 1973.

I saw Staub on that list which explains why he did not have a 1973 card.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@waxman2745 said:
    @PaulMaul Great letter, thanks for posting here.

I found it very interesting the list of "veterans" that Topps omitted from their 1973 set based on their belief that they would not make their team's roster in 1973.

I saw Staub on that list which explains why he did not have a 1973 card.

I have to assume that was not really the reason with Rusty. He was only 28 years old, and had not had a card in 1972 either.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    The 1973 set is among my favorites. Here is an interesting document regarding Topps’ planning of the set (courtesy of David Hornish)…

I read years ago somewhere that Hector Torres started crying when he was told he wouldn’t have a card in 1973, he is on the list of players omitted by Topps on the sheet.

• Options

• Options
  • Options

@PaulMaul said:
    Dick Woodson

Cool...Thanks... :)