Options

My Own 75 Mini Case Break

13»

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to hear the story behind the GAI dropoff! Thanks again crave, for a thread worth waiting for!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I'll let the last post stand only because it is not the winning post. I'll post the grading results shortly.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    crave, i think it was the new DST setting causing my time to be off....LOL image

...waiting to see the results.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    Pretty sobering results from a sealed case. Tomorrow I'll get into the GAI details a bit more. I think it will make for some very interesting reading.

Grade Totals
    8.5 29
    9 36
    9.5 18
    10 3
    8 76
    Graded 162

Order #s

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    yuck. Was the case not that clean? I'm having a hard time understanding how any sealed case could have so few packs grading less than 8. I hope you didn't lose your shirt on grading fees.

Lee
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty sobering results from a sealed case. Tomorrow I'll get into the GAI details a bit more. I think it will make for some very interesting reading.

Grade Totals
    8.5 29
    9 36
    9.5 18
    10 3
    8 76
    Graded 162

Order #s

5072285 >>

Wow, I was close on everything but the 8's. I thought 72% would be 8's. Here's my guesses on the rest
    8.... 76 .... my guess... 414
    8.5.... 29 .... my guess... 63
    9 .... 36.... my guess ... 34
    9.5.... 18.... my guess... 14
    10.... 3 .... my guess... 3

Sorry about the grades, but thanks for the chance at the free pack. I'm sure you are bummed big time with those results. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm quite surprised, though the pack you pictured in the scan would grade no higher than a 7, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    actually, there is a "silver lining" to this in that I opened some raw packs over the past few days and there is no correlation between the pack condition (<8) and the card quality. The cards are definitely fresh, absolutely no evidence of tampering in any way and almost in every case MT corners, nice registration and surfaces. I'll get to posting some scans over the next few days. I should be able to complete my set with what I open. But, that's not the story.

In terms of the fee, I made sure that we had an agreement that I would pay a fixed amount for the graded packs and a much smaller fee for the packs that were ungraded. The fee didn't bother me in the slightest. I was in it for the thrill and the experience more than the money. I also sold half the cards before I had them graded so that minimized my exposure.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    there is no correlation between the pack condition (<8) and the card quality.

That is certainly true. Too often collectors equate the grade of the pack with the grade of the cards within the pack. The grade of the pack is solely based on the wrapper, centering of the wrapper, seal, etc., while the cards could be Gem Mint in a GAI 8 holder.

• Options
    and to be clear, I submitted 540 packs (15 boxes) in total. So, 30% were 8 and above.
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    looks like tennesseebanker won the pack unless I missed something?
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    Crave,

So what happened out GAI with the submission?

• Options
    <<<<Crave,

So what happened out GAI with the submission? >>>>

I ordered the case from Steve around the time of the National.....I think it was about the 5th of September when it arrived, give or take a couple of days. The case was sent to my friend in Newport Beach after it was verified to be as Steve promised (which it was - unopened) shortly thereafter. One box was removed so that I would have some cards to grade at a later date as well as review the condition of the packs. They looked pristine, all of them. Anyway, my friend hand carried it to GAI and left it with a person whom I had pre-arranged to be there to meet her and take the case. This was on 9/13. The case was promised to me (graded) by 9/26. GAI sent me 5 separate emails on 9/29. Each of the 5 emails contained the global order status number as well as a specific number of items. I didn't know at the time, but that was the "clue" to how many packs graded in each level from 8 to 10 (8,8.5,9,9.5 and 10). So obviously the packs were graded and were now about to enter the holdering process. On 11/17 they mailed the case back. It arrived on 11/21. That comes to a 10 week turnaround time. So, from 9/29 until 11/17, the ungraded packs were sitting somewhere at GAI; 162 packs met the minimum grade and 378 did not. The ungraded packs were sitting there for 10 weeks.

You can draw your own conclusions and I am not stating anything except the facts. image
    Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    My packs arrived at PSA on March 3 and were opened on March 9 because I forgot to add something on the packing invoice. I answered the questions on March 11 (after the weekend) and the packs still have not been logged in yet. So there is an open box of packs laying around waiting to be logged in before being graded.

You can draw your own conclusions and I am not stating anything except the facts.
  • Options
    Crave,

GAI is NOTORIOUS for being extremely slow when it comes to processing submissions. It's the main reason I'd never submit anything to them ever again. Your turnaround time on the 75 packs, I'm sorry to say, sounds very similar to the status quo.

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Crave thanks !

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the group Mini case bust, I had only 7 packs out of a pristine box that did not have corner tears. 30% grading 8 or better seems like a better percentage.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the group Mini case bust, I had only 7 packs out of a pristine box that did not have corner tears. 30% grading 8 or better seems like a better percentage. >>

I was going to make a similar comment. Even in the case, the corners can wear depending on how the case is handled over time. At least it sounds like his case had decently centered cards.

Regarding sending the packs to GAI inistead of PSA, I'm guessing it's because PSA doesn't grade minis. At least they didn't at the time we did our case break.
  • Options
    does any one have any raw to sell
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>does any one have any raw to sell >>

PM me your needs and if I have any, you can have them for free.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    this is a representative sampling of the raw cards weighted towards the stars......pulled from roughly 15 packs. thought you guys would be interested.

Mark B.

My PSA Registry Sets

• Options
    im loking for lots to put a set togther
    mike
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Those are some pretty wicked cuts. Seeing stuff like that makes me think pulling a 55/45 card out of a pack of 2007 isn't all that bad.
    Travis
  • Options
    seeing this coupled with being involved in the 75 wax bust makes me appreciate a psa 8 (NQ) 75 mini.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    With the O/C and tilts looks just like the original 75 minis case bust.

Gotta love that quality control of the 70's.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Who said they didn't have crack back in the 70's. Those people were smoking more than cigs when they were cutting!!!