Home Sports Talk

Charles Barkley

jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
Anyone else hate him? I wish somebody would just cut tether that keeps his pig a## from floating away from the tnt studio

Comments

• I hated him as a player and I hate him more as an announcer. I hope he and Bill Walton die in a plane crash this weekend.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hated him as a player and I hate him more as an announcer. I hope he and Bill Walton die in a plane crash this weekend. >>

Don't hold back...please tell us how you really feel.

• he is a lousy sportscaster, as is walton. I will second the dying in a plane crash theory...unless Bill Walton removes himself from the HOF. Never made any sense why he was in there on his NBA laurels.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, such hatred here!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hated him as a player and I hate him more as an announcer. I hope he and Bill Walton die in a plane crash this weekend. >>

• jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Bill Walton belongs in the pothead hall of fame or the weak ankle one.
  • Next to Brad Daugherty, Bill Walton is the 2nd best center ever
  • LOL damn, and i thought I was a Cleveland fanatic. LOL

brad, Mark Price....Larry Nance! oh those were the days... too bad they always ran into Jordan sigh.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, such hatred here! >>

All over the place
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Charles Barkley is the $hit. He's one of my favorite players of all time.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Barkley is the best but that's because I partied with him back in the day.

Well... We were at the same bar and I bought him a couple of drinks image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    He's a mediocre analyst, but I enjoy his spontaneity and humor.
    Capecards
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Cheer up guys.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he is a lousy sportscaster, as is walton. I will second the dying in a plane crash theory...unless Bill Walton removes himself from the HOF. Never made any sense why he was in there on his NBA laurels. >>

Maybe he didn't make it primarily on his NBA laurels. It is the BASKETBALL HOF, not strictly the NBA HOF. Plenty of collegiate greats are enshrined there, and on THAT basis Walton is worthy. I'd agree that he's not a HOFer for his pro career, though.
    Have you ever looked at his stats. Bill Walton scored over a 1000 points in a season twice. He has no business in the hall of fame.
    I could a better argument for Jo Jo White, Dennis Johnson, Reggie Theus ( 19000 plus points 6000 assists, everyone with those numbers in the hall), Benard King +++.
    The guy is a chump. As for Charles "The Hutt" Barkley, I will just wait for the day that he eats himself to death. Hopefully that time isn't too far off
    There is not a single player who has ever been voted NBA MVP who is not in the HOF. Unlike other sports, to be the MVP is only for the greats of the greats.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Charles is a very funny guy and has a way of explaining things that are hilarious as well as insightful and in some cases incite-full.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles is a very funny guy and has a way of explaining things that are hilarious as well as insightful and in some cases incite-full.

I agree completely. He is one of the more entertaining talking heads on TV.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    I like Charles, he is brutally honest, and insightful.

He is also funnier than sh*t.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I liked Charles until he threw me through a glass window
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I never had a problem with Bill Walton in the Basketball Hall Of Fame because as someone else pointed out they are not just about the NBA. My biggest problem with him was when the NBA top 50 players Team came out in 1996 and he was elected to it. They left off Bob McAdoo who also was by the way the winner of a NBA MVP Award, and Domonique Wilkens and Bob Lanier all who in my opinion were more worthy than Mr Bill.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I liked Charles until he threw me through a glass window >>

Thats what happens when you gab another man's butt

Barkley is intelligent , refreshing, and hilarious. I watch him every chance I get. And he was a fantastically unique player too.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    I like Barlkey.

I like the argument that Bill Walton is overrated. Kind of like Joe Namath was overrated. It only took a couple of solid years, lots of media and a championship and the doors to the HOF were opened.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • i too like sir charles. you know how you stand with him. shorter!!! he tells you what he thinks and that is refreshing.he loves to gamble and that can't be all bad. he's not afraid to bust on players that are hotdogging. but he has the WORLD'S WORST golf swing. image
    I wish they would lock him in a room until he eats himself to death.
  • Neither Bob Lanier, Bob MacAdoo, nor Dominique Wilkens ever carried their team on their back to an NBA title. Walton did just that with the Blazers in 1977. Not only that Lanier and Niq never won a title. MacAdoo did with the Lakers, but as a role player. The Big Grey Head was great back when he was still the Big Red Head. As for Barkley, he scored more points than Bird. He got more rebounds than Shaq. He averaged more rebounds per game than Kareem, Hakeem, or Shaq. He averaged more points and rebounds a game than the Dream. Did I mention that he is only 6' 6'' tall. You cannot discount Barkley because he did not win a title. The guy had the misfortune of playing during the eras of the Bird Celtics, Magic Lakers, and Jordan Bulls. These three teams won 14 out 19 titles between 1980 and 1998. The guy is an HOFer just like the Grey Head is an HOFer.
    Shaq and Bird were winners and Barkley wasn't . Bird also played 3 fewer seasons than Barkley so it would be easy for him to have more points.
    Elgin Baylor never won either, he was superior to all others mentioned. Bill Walton does not deserve to be one of the 50 greatest in NBA history.
    Look at the numbers.
  • Happy 49th birthday Charles.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I may be wrong.....but I doubt it"!!!! image
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forget.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• << <i>I never had a problem with Bill Walton in the Basketball Hall Of Fame because as someone else pointed out they are not just about the NBA. My biggest problem with him was when the NBA top 50 players Team came out in 1996 and he was elected to it. They left off Bob McAdoo who also was by the way the winner of a NBA MVP Award, and Domonique Wilkens and Bob Lanier all who in my opinion were more worthy than Mr Bill. >>

yup

+1
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • One of my favorite stories about Barkley.

When he was on the 76ers, he was on vacation with the GM. The GM's son asked his dad if he could go in the ocean. The GM's response? "No, son, not now. Charles is using it."

Haha

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • I like Chalres, the one person I cant stand is Jamele Hill of ESPN. Everytime she opens her mouth the race card comes into play. The girl needs some concrete socks if you get my drift.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • On another board, I was comparing Yao Ming with Walton (who I think is overrated).

-Walton had 3 seasons, 3, with more than 60 games. That must be among the lowest of any hall of fame player.

Only 3 seasons averaging more than 16 points a game!

He played in 468 games, averaged 10.5 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, 13.3 points.

-Yao Ming, 486 games, 19 points a game, 9 rebounds, almost 2 blocks. Say Ming led the Rockets to 2 or 3 titles. Very possible with T Mac, Alston, Battier.

If he won 2 titles, and got an MVP....why would Walton be 50 greatest of all time? Same thing with Ewing.

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Love Barkley, think him and Kenny are better off without Shaq.

Barkley - Superstars video
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been to Lake Tahoe twice and Charles Barkley is simply fantastic with the fans and "gets it". He signs many autographs, takes photos with fans, and engages in numerous conversations with so many people it is all quite refreshing a man of his stature does all this because most do not even at a celebrity golf outing.

A spectator blurts out that he will bet $50 that Charles cannot hit the fairway off the tee. Charles look back and says "What am I going to do with $50?" Everyone laughs. The spectator ups the offer to $200 and Charles shanks his tee shot and gets two hundred dollar bills and drops them on the ground and walks down the fairway. That is good stuff!

At another hole, I was only about 15 feet ahead off to the far left and blurted out to Charles, "Am I safe here?" He looks over to me and says "I cannot predict the future!" I then responded with "you predicted that the Mavericks would win the NBA title!"...Charles cracked a sly smile and responded "Yes I did!".

As an athlete I was not totally on board with Charles, but as a former athlete the dude gets it and he is the most popular guy in Tahoe. I saw him later in the night gambling in Tahoe and although he really is nothing like the rest of us....he made it feel that way.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Charles is fun to watch because of his great sense of humor and brutal honesty. He's not perfect and I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you that. As for Bill Walton, he annoys the hell out of me.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Love Barkley's golf swing.image
  • Happy birthday Charles!
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Chuck!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Luv Chuck! My brother sat next to him on flight from Chicago to Phoenix just after his playing days. They cracked jokes the whole trip. My bro said he was a really fun guy.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always liked the "Chucksters" commentary. He did survive the negative publicity resulting from the spiting on a young girl in the stands incident. It took place at a 76ers/Nets game
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • I like Barkley. Completely impartial and totally judgmental. Great combo
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good/great player, but a real clown other than that.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Keep talking Charlie.People hate the truth.Keep telling it the way it is.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)