Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Baseball- To Grade or Not to Grade

I have sent numerous cards in for grading, but when it comes to 1969's I have only sent in a few. - I'm talking generally commons. They do not realize any good prices for the most part $4-$7. I have about a 200 card submission ready to go and I'm starting to get cold feet. For the most part they will grade 8's and about 10% 9's. I have been pretty accurate with this in the past. I just sent in a bunch of 67's and I received 75% 8's, 15% 9's, and about 10% 7's. I do not want to do a registry with the 69's- so what should I do? Should I just send them in and break even with the 8's and make up for it with the 9's. Most of the cards are also not the lower pops as you would expect. Please send me your opinions on this. Is it worth it to send them in. I wish I could just send in the 9's as I know there must be 20-30 in the lot, but it's hard to predict 8-10 when they are all centered and sharp. There could be a couple of 10's in there. Please give me some thought out suggestions. THANKS fellow members.
DANNYimage

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    some board members may b interested in a raw lot for sale.

julen

i could possibly be interested too
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Danny,
    The prices you project are very realistic. In the case of 8's absically break even. 7's are probably a throw away. 9's could garner a $10/card profit. For you $1k grading investment you might make a $100 or so only enhanced if you get a few 10's.
    Your choices would be limited if they were graded. You could set on the bulk until more interest picks up for 69's but you have invested your money and are waiting. In that case you would be bet off to grade later. If you confident on 10's then why not but trry to bulk out the commons on the board to aviod some of the fees.
    Seems like a lot of work and time for a smaller return. You may just want to offer the group raw at a $1+ a card. At $250 for all 200 you are probably financially ahead in the short term.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in all you think would only be an 8. I am starting raw sets so I would be happy to help out image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Danny,
    I would also have an interest in purchasing your 1969 Topps Baseball raw, if you decide to sell them in that state.
    My email address is: robinson209@comcast.net
    Thanks,
    Kirk
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    This brings up an interesting point. At what year do you stop sending in commons (assuming they are 8's, not 9's) because it becomes a money losing proposition?

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    This brings up an interesting point. At what year do you stop sending in commons (assuming they are 8's, not 9's) because it becomes a money losing proposition?

My vote is 1971.

That means 36 years of NM common cards are not worth it to grade. With all sincerity this is a shame.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    any commons after '73 (the last year cards were printed in series)

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Danny,

The one thing I missed in your post was what you wanted to do with these cards. There is an implication that you are considering grading them for resale, but I'm not sure. The original premise of slabbing cards was to preserve them in an attractive holder and authenticate the grade. For that purpose, any card deserves grading. For resale, and given the current cost of submissions, graded commons at 8 stop becoming profitable about 1967; I'd say 1981 for 9s.

I have a tankful of '68s that would 8, but they are all dups and I don't think I would turn a profit, so they just remain in my collection as trade bait.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Mark writes:

"graded commons at 8 stop becoming profitable about 1967."

That would be my guess also.