Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detecting in Dahlonega? (Lord Marcovan?)

The "dynasty of metal detecting" family is taking a trip to northern Georgia the next couple of days and we were curious if anyone knows any potential hunting sites in the area. I thought maybe Lord Marcovan could have some hints?

This is TuscaloosaJohnny. Not really sure which name this is going to post with on this computer...
I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Well, if you're going to look for Civil War relics, be careful. I believe that all state property is protected.

If you want to search old mining towns or anything like that, I suggest doing some research before going.

If you want to have some different fun, go to the gem stone grubbing place. It's a blast. (near Helen I believe)
    You can also tour some of the old gold mines. Lots of fun.

Also, if you can find a stream and a place to park, take your detector down and wade through
    (most streams are shallow) and shoot for gold nuggets. There are still gold nuggets there,
    but they are few and far between. (I found a couple about the size of peas)
    Take a rock hammer and eye protection too. If you can find rock outcroppings look for the
    quartz. Some times you will see large veins of it. Crack some of the quartz out. We found
    big chunks of quartz with gold veins running through them. Don't try to extract the gold though.
    They're worth more as is.

Good luck!
    Big Dave
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have visited Dahlonega, but not done any detecting there.

If one could get permission anywhere around there, it certainly presents some very interesting possibilities, doesn't it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i> Metal detecting in Dahlonega? >>

Yes, please! image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage