Home Metal Detecting
Options

Hit the local soccer field yesterday.

Got out yesterday to try and familiarize myself with the Tejon.
I headed to the local soccer field to do some coinshooting and stumbled upon this railroad tag of some sort.
It says Delaware, O. on one side and C,C,C&I RW on the other.
Doing a little research I found that C,C,C&I RW is the Cleveland , Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railway.

Some history:

<< <i>The CC&C was chartered in 1836. In the 1840's, construction from Cleveland through Galion and Delaware to Columbus was begun. The road entered Columbus from the north, running east and parallel to Fourth Street, then swinging southwestward to enter the passenger depot of the Columbus and Xenia Railroad. On February 21, 1851 a grand excursion train with 425 passengers took members of the state and city government to Cleveland, returning them to Columbus after a day's layover. Regular traffic was begun in April 1851, a full year after service began on the C&X. In 1868 the CC&C was merged with the Bellefountaine Railroad to form the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway. At that time the railroad still hadn't reached Cincinnati, and it was up to the CCC&I to finish the job. >>

Here is a picture of the old Delaware CCC&I depot which still stands today and is currently a local flower shop.
picture link

I dug a little over $9 in clad and a ton of pulltabs and can slaw. I have a lot of practise yet for the Tejon but feel it is going to be an excellent back-up detector.

HH

GR
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    John,
    Glad to see you're back into the "swing" of things.image

That's an interesting tag. What is it made of and how big is it? It reminds me of the lead things the electric companies put on the meters.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Gary!

<< <i>What is it made of and how big is it? >>

It's made of lead but the loop (which is half gone) is iron. It's the size of a US dime.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very cool find. How old is this site?
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice GR... those seals actually showed up at that S.F. 1906 earthquake dump out here a couple years ago when the huge demo took place. I found a couple of those but had no clue what they were. Thank you (and Jerry for the links too). image
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    There is a volleyball court at our high school I have on my list of places to visit. It is like a big sandbox and I expect rings are lost there.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    John, until you said the tags were the size of a dime I thought they were much larger, at least the size of a quarter. Very interesting find!

Laser, the ring yard sounds like a great place to hunt. If you find anything that doesn't fit Mrs Laser, keep me in mind. image lol
    Be Still and Know