Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why do you use PSA as your grading company of choice?

Rather than company X, Y and Z?

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Easiest to find cards I need that are already graded.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    For me, after collecting as a kid, and then putting everything away during my teens and twentys, PSA provided a good avenue to get back into the hobby. The $99 membership was a deterrent at first, but figured with access to eveything that came with a membership, it was a good way to jump start my interest again.

Unfortunately, I've been put off a little so far by what I feel is inconsistent grading on their part, only judging from the handful of grades I've both recieved and bought so far. I've bought two PSA 10 cards on Ebay that, while perfect on the front, have OBVIOUS FLAWS on the back. Very disappointing. In my mind's eye, I was pictured 10's as cards that I needed a 10x loupe to see any flaws, and now I own 2 where I can see flaws without even really trying. ugh.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Company X Y and Z have no credibilty.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highest resale value for the things I collect.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Joe Orlando is a hunting buddy.
  • Options
    Wow! The legend himself "davalillo" replies! Thank you! image

And thank the rest of you also!
  • Options

<< <i>Joe Orlando is a hunting buddy. >>

Just glad it's not Dick Cheney, Jim!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Good one Griffins! image
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    The PSA Set Registry has dominated the entire graded card market. That is why I submit to PSA.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why go with hamburger instead of Steak?
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    1) PSA cards sell for much higher prices

2) Easy to find PSA cards on ebay

3) SGC and GAI's set registries are complete jokes
  • Options
    1. Not always, and sometimes not at all with some issues
    2. absolutely
    3. somewhat, but improving (SGC) and what registry (GAI)?

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    A search of "1957" in the MLB-Singles (50-59)-Graded Category

Matching Categories
    Graded
    PSA(412)
    SGC(30)
    GAI(6)
    Other Graders(6)

How about for all Singles (50-59)?

Categories
    Graded
    PSA(3363)
    GAI(68)
    SCD(6)
    SGC(98)
    Other Graders(106)

'Nuf said.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I can afford to go with # 1, so why would I choose to go 2nd best?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Buccaneer makes a convincing case based on the market, at least for that particular year of cards.

What about pre-WII cards? I've been a reader of the Vintage Baseball Card Forum for quite a while and they appear to be biased toward SGC. Is that a major representation of the pre-WII collectors or are they just a minority report from a highly outspoken clique of vintage collectors?
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭

<< <i>What about pre-WII cards? I've been a reader of the Vintage Baseball Card Forum for quite a while and they appear to be biased toward SGC. Is that a major representation of the pre-WII collectors or are they just a minority report from a highly outspoken clique of vintage collectors? >>

I would have to say they are in a minority. About 2 years ago I sold a near complete T-206 PSA graded set, card by card, plus every vintage Cub card from that era and had the opportunity to chat with many people who were building PSA graded sets. A lot of these collectors at one time or another tried to participate on that board and the hostility towards PSA and those collectors made it not worth the time or effort to post on that board.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Anthony,

I was referring to when I spoke at the PSA Set Registry lunch when I started out my speech by telling an off-color joke about Joe and hunting. He was a very good sport about it.

Jim
  • Options
    << What about pre-WII cards? I've been a reader of the Vintage Baseball Card Forum for quite a while and they appear to be biased toward SGC. Is that a major representation of the pre-WII collectors or are they just a minority report from a highly outspoken clique of vintage collectors? >>

<<<<<<I would have to say they are in a minority. About 2 years ago I sold a near complete T-206 PSA graded set, card by card, plus every vintage Cub card from that era and had the opportunity to chat with many people who were building PSA graded sets. A lot of these collectors at one time or another tried to participate on that board and the hostility towards PSA and those collectors made it not worth the time or effort to post on that board.>>>>>>

I wouldn't use the word hostile, but certainly intimidating and at times arrogant. Not all of them, of course. But they do show a bias towards SGC, no question. My guess is that it is because they like the holder, they certainly appreciate rarity (like a BGS holder image) and they view PSA as many on this forum view BGS, the modern card grading company. But if you want to learn something about vintage cards or obscure, rare vintage cards, I highly recommend a visit or two to oldcardboard.com. They do know their stuff.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    For what I collect, there are only two grading companies I look for - PSA and SGC. I will pick up a modern card on very rare occasions and I have no problem buying a Beckett graded version for those.

Other than player sets, PSA makes up at least 95% of my hodge podge collection. The only reason that is the case is due to the lack of SGC cards on the market. My "focus" is primarily 50's issues, and SGC really is nowhere to be found - which stinks because almost every 50's issue looks better in an SGC holder. I trust both grading companies when it comes to accuracy and I am a pretty choosy buyer. I mostly buy mid grade and grades up to 7, so there is a big difference in quality more times than not within those grades.

I never really gave SGC any thought, but for the past year or so I have been inclined more and more to purchase those cards. They are just not out there. On any given day, there are about 1K SGC graded baseball cards on the market compared to 20K plus in PSA cards .... 50's issues go about less than 500 SGC cards to well over 2500 PSA graded examples.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

1. As a past, PCGS coin collector (PSA's sister company), the transition to PSA was my logical choice for my cardboard collecting.

2. I have enjoyed PSA set building over the past five years. The PSA Registry system works fine for me.

3. Plus, I agree with most of the other reasons to use PSA over other the grading services, that have been mentioned in this thread.

rd

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I echo many of the same comments. I will add that I like, and stick with, PSA for the simplicity of the grading scale. I hate half grades, decimal point grades, 100 scale grading, or anything that varies from a simple 1 to 10 scale. This is a hobby and it need not get too complex for me.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    b/c i can.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>Buccaneer makes a convincing case based on the market, at least for that particular year of cards.

What about pre-WII cards? I've been a reader of the Vintage Baseball Card Forum for quite a while and they appear to be biased toward SGC. Is that a major representation of the pre-WII collectors or are they just a minority report from a highly outspoken clique of vintage collectors? >>

The PSA market would have crashed years ago if the cards were as bad as they say they are.

1. I like the PSA holder, much better looking than the others..

2. Consistently high prices realized.

3. Fairly strict grading. Maybe not perfect, but far stricter than the raw world of the 80's/90's.
  • Options
    PSA was the first and is the best grading company. They have most attractive holders, the most consistent grading standards, and the best website. The only other comapny I've ever tried is BGS, and my experience with them was not good. One of the cards was not properly sealed in its holder and came out easily. Unacceptable. BCCG is a total joke. I mean, they'll grade a card "Mint or better". Could you imagine PSA doing that? It's supposed to be their job to tell you what the grade is. My only complaint about PSA was their slow turnaround times. With my recent experiences, they seem to have fixed that. They've actually been really fast, and I use the economy service!

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>PSA was the first and is the best grading company. >>

Actually there were two grading companies that were around before PSA came onto the scene: Alan Hager's Accugrade and one other whose name escapes me and I believe it began with the letter "B", but their holder was the same as today's SGC holder.
  • Options
    SBC.

• Options
    Thanks Griffins. I knew it was something with a "B". image
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i don't want to be fickle so don't me wrong. i like psa, but something about this company has touched my heart and soul...

• Options

• Options

I Like Orlando already, is he a collector? I collect antique colts and shotguns from 1850 to 1941. Still working on 2 more purchases to move to 5 on the Mantle Registry. Jim Meeksimage
    I use PSA and Pcgs because they are most experienced and recognized and command higher prices,