Home Metal Detecting
Options

Garrett 250 or Whites Prizm II

If you had to choose between the two, which one and why? This will be a MD for a beginner and my son. The Garrett would have the larger coil and I'm not sure but I think the cost would be pushing $300 if the larger coil. The Prizm II would cost $225 after tax. I'm looking for pro's and con's and if you think my cost are way off. As far as the features go, what Prizm matches up with the 250?

Thanks

Rob

I believe I was going to get the Garrett, but now I'm not sure.
4/92
4/123
-----------
Invested $216.76
Return on Investment $0.68
Found but keeping $.15

Comments

• Options

<< <i>what Prizm matches up with the 250? >>

I believe the IV is the closest since it has accept/reject notch discrimination feature.

Prizm IV

Ace 250
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>what Prizm matches up with the 250? >>

I believe the IV is the closest since it has accept/reject notch discrimination feature.

>>

That is what I was thinking from looking at them, but there is about a $200 price difference between them. If that is the case, why would I consider the Prizm IV or the lower end Prizm II? Or have I just answered my owne question?

Rob
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Options
    You will find it nearly impossible to find anything equal (feature wise) unless you buy used. (which is not a bad option in my opinion, but is still tough to do in the $200 range)

I used the Ace briefly and was quite impressed really. Though, now I no longer us machines with graphic ID. image

<< <i> Or have I just answered my owne question? >>

imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak about the Garrett but I bought a used PrismII for $75 this past Fall and it is very easy to use. I am just a beginner when it comes to detecting but I was out there digging within minutes of turning the Prism on. Now if the snow would just finish melting!
    Just my two cents worth.
  • Options
    I got the Prizm 2 so my grand kids could use it.
    Why? It is light.

Easy turn on and go.

Gives an idea what is in the ground. An idea is all you can hope for with any unit.

Prizm 2 can noch out iron- bottle tops. Also pull tabs and even zink coins! This can cause the loss of small gold. :-( But with kids, they will give up soon if getting too much junk.

The size of the coil is fine. If I was to buy any other coil..It would be the BigFoot. I think the kids will stay with the stock coil.

I am happy with the way the Prizm 2 can pin point a target!!! It takes time for people to learn to pin point with any detector. I let the kids use the Prizm 2 at the beach (easy digging). They did well. I took the Prizm 2 out for a hunt during the VTH3 round 8. Just to see how well I could do. Lots of people think they need the BEST detector to find things...Not so! I did not find any thing great, but it did find targets. And about pin pointing, I did as well with the Prizm 2 as I do with the DFX! I was able to dig a two and one half inch plug and get the target. :-) See photo:

Can other detectors do this...I would guess so. Good luck in your quest.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i use the 250 and like it very much...great on coins....i only paid $198.00 for mine and have seen them new for $212.00 with the stock coil...in my opinion you can't go wrong for $212.00....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I have the 250. I like it. Its extremely easy to use and I found some coins.
  • Options
    Hey crock.
    Where did you get that digging tool that makes such awesome plugs?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey crock. Where did you get that digging tool that makes such awesome plugs? >>

Just about any garden shop will have a "Bulb Planter", I just take a file to the edge so it will cut better.
    I think the cost is under $5.00.

**NOTE** You can hurt a good find if you don't pin point well. :-(

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage