Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New to the site & Pictures in Set Registry?

Hello,
This is my first post, but I have been hanging out at the site for some time now. Thanks for all the good information on many different types of coins. I have liked collecting coins since I was a teenager, but have just now started seriously getting into it. I have a complete Eisenhower set (with proofs and types in a Dansco), a State Quarter mint set (in a Dansco), a nearly complete set of certified Silver Eagles and 2 sets of the 20th anniversary Silver Eagles (1 set PCGS 69 graded the other sealed in original mint shipping box). I also have some miscellaneous coins and proof sets too (nothing worth mentioning). I also plan of keeping a set of the US President coins.

My question is about pictures in the Set Registry. I have seen people block the certification numbers on their coins when posting them on the net. Is it necessary to protect the numbers? I have seen sellers online and in other registered sets do this.

Thanks for all the good information. I just wish my checkbook would let me stay caught up with some of you!

Comments

• Options
    I forgot to post a link to my ASEs....
    My Eagles
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is about pictures in the Set Registry. I have seen people block the certification numbers on their coins when posting them on the net. Is it necessary to protect the numbers? I have seen sellers online and in other registered sets do this.

Thanks for all the good information. I just wish my checkbook would let me stay caught up with some of you! >>

image I want to welcome you to the Registry image

The reason is simple...Some not so nice people steal cert #'s from coins being sold (For instance) and try to complete a registry set or to possibly state ownership to a coin. I have no idea as to why someone would be foolish enough to do this. I have my Dimes listed and I also list the cert #'s in my comments area. There already in my registry and no one can steal the #'s to list in their sets.

I think collecting the new Prez $'s would be fun, as I will 1 year behind when I do so...the prices will be more adjusted by then!

Again WELCOME to the Boards....post often please!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Welcome to the forum and the registry sportster.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun on the boards. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

The blocking of the cert. number is a hold over from the older ie last years registery. Now if you put the coin into your inventory they are protected even if they are not in a set. Before they had to be in a set to be protected.

I and others now list coins for sale on ebay and other sites with no worry of some body hijacking the numbers. Edited to add that when sold it is the sellers responsiblity to release the numbers for the new owner to use.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Some people will request cert numbers when you sell a coin on ebay. The cert number is the coin's identifier in the world of PCGS. Why anyone would list a coin they don't own is beyond me, but it happens.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay