Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Difference of Opinion on Card Value

I verified that the less expensive card had no qualifiers.

Profile of Hugh Mulcahy (145)
Player: Hugh Mulcahy
Card Number: 145

Category: Baseball
Year: 1939
ACC #: R334
Set Name: 1939 Play Ball (1939)
Card Size: 2-1/2 x 3-1/8
Number of cards in set: 161

Set Description: Issued by Gum, Inc. in 1939 the fronts of the card are quality black & white photos of the player. Backs of the cards are numbered and have the player’s complete name and quality bio on the player.

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8

Date Auction Price

1/25/07 eBay $295.00

7/16/06 eBay $5,655.55

Text

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Registry madness. Two guys were going very hard at each other for '39's last Summer, and that is what you see reflected on the price of last July.
    The winner got his, the underbidder got his (and I think got an upgrade as well) and then the field was clear for cooler heads to prevail earlier this year.
    Great argument for taking a step back when things get heated and working on other sets.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    What a difference half a year makes.

I wonder whether the guy who bought his for for $5655 regrets it today, or whether this is a case where the collector is so independently wealthy that he does not care about wasting the extra $5K +.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a difference half a year makes.

I wonder whether the guy who bought his for for $5655 regrets it today, or whether this is a case where the collector is so independently wealthy that he does not care about wasting the extra $5K +. >>

It is the latter. The people dropping $5+K on commons in 8 for a set generally are spending well into the six (if not seven) figures per year on their hobby.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Some portfolios just dropped $5300. The price is even more surprising given that 6 bidders bid over $1000 the first time and 7 bid over $500.