Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Grading special challenge- 1986 topps mini league leaders

I recently bought two boxes of 1986 Topps Baseball mini league leaders. I know cheap stuff right ($20 delivered for two boxes). It created at least 5 complete sets (66 card set).

Here's the challenge: build the best gradable set made from just two boxes and submit to PSA for grading (during $5 special) and record on the set registry. It will be on the honor system that you only crack two boxes.

If anybody can think of another set older than 20 years that you can buy raw/ box and submit the complete set for grading under $400 let me know.

If anybody thinks I'm crazy, please let me know that as well!

Be good!
WJF

Buying Mike Schmidt basic PSA 10's, rookie QBs

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Bill-

I think you're kind of crazy, but if you like the set and don't mind dropping that sort of coin grading it out, more power to you.

Cheers and good luck.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Bill, I think that anyone that pays the kind of money that we do for cardboard has to have a little bit of a surplus of the 'crazy-gene' in our systems! image

If I wasn't so wrapped up with my sets right now I would join you as that set brings back good memories for me. Good luck in building your set! Are you looking for a specific grade (PSA 9 or higher) for these?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I'm currently #2 in the 1986 Topps Football (PSA 9 only). But for this set, I was just looking to have fun and see how good of a set I can put together by cracking just two boxes. So far I'll probably pull a couple 7 and 8's (hopefully mostly 9's).
    WJF

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    You might be able to get some good coin from some of us player set collectors if you end up with some 10s of specific players. Good luck and keep us posted with scans as you get the graded!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck, i would like to see how it goes, if i wasn't trying to finish a couple of set that i'm close to i wouldn't mind completing a high end set for under $400 with a lot of the stars i remember growing up. let us know how it goes. let me know if you want to move one of the other sets that don't get graded.
    thanks
    fred
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    I've built the set that I'm sending in.

$5 plus shipping for all the doubles. You might get one more set worth grading at 7/8 +. There were only 5 cards in a cello pack and wrapped pretty tight so even box fresh had some manufacturing issues.

WJF

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    There were a lot of 33 and 44 card boxed sets from Topps and Fleer in the mid '80s. If you want to go further back, the late '70s Burger King and early '80s Coca-Cola sets can be put together cheaply.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I can't imagine spending $400 on grading a $5 set, but if you like the set and have the money, then go for it. I like those small sets too but I just keep them raw.

$400 can buy you a lot of nice cards, even already graded ones.

Good luck if you grade them.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    cardbender...please don't discourage him.

Sincerely,
    PSA Shareholders

Loves me some shiny!