Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA graded 1972 Topps Baseball set club is now forming

Greetings follow PSA graded 1972 Topps baseball set collectors. I have started this club to bring together all of us collectors in the hope that we can work together and help each other. We could all start out by telling each other how many psa graded cards that we have towards our sets and the grades. Perhaps even swap email addresses. I will start by saying that I am currently ranked third in the PSA set registry. Once I have entered the cards that I have recently got in I will have 461 cards in my set. I have 455 PSA 8s, 5 PSA 9s and 1 PSA 7 (Bill Bonham Green Letters error - highest grade available). My email address is downey@viconet.com. Good luck on your sets, Neil

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    1972 Topps elitists! I'm taking my Bowmans and going home.
  • Options
    If I sent '72 Topps in and got 8's back, would you guys actually buy it, or would I end up eating all of it?

I collect Bowmans, too, but if I can turn a profit on graded '72 Topps, I can use the extra cash to buy Bowmans.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    David> Elitists? Wait til you get a load of this. . .a specific venue for what Neil proposes is on the way!

Some of you already know of a project I've been working on for some time and I greatly appreciate the input all of you have provided so far. While there is still a good bit of content work to be done, much of the design work has been completed. So. . .it is now time to make a semi-official announcement -

Coming. . .February 14, 2002 - www.1972topps.com

That's right folks. . .on February 14, 2002 I will launch 1972topps.com to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the issue of the 1972 Topps set and the 72 season. February 14 was selected to coincide with the first reporting of pitchers and catchers - the true awakening of baseball from its off-season slumber.

Among areas planned for the site-
    * Nostalgia - music, news, sports, cars, and other things to take you back 30 years.
    * A checklist for 1972T. This will be available as a web page, as an Excel document, or an Acrobat document.
    * Scans of all cards in the set- assembled over time
    * A section for want lists. A center for trading - devoted to to 72T
    * Possibly a spotlight of a particular builder of a 72 set (perhaps monthly)
    * And more. . .you didn't think I've give away all the surprises, did you?

I am more than happy to listen to suggestions for the site - just e-mail me.
    For those of you who can't wait, if you go to 1972topps.com right now, you'll see a blank "future home of" page. So, be patient. . .and look forward to it. image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Bruce> Considering I know of at least six people seriously pursuing a graded 72T set, I have a hard time imagining you'd eat too many 72s in PSA8 or higher. There are tons of 72s with pops less than 6.

So what you will need to decide is can you turn a sufficient profit selling 8 NQs at the going rate of $10-$17 for average-pop Series 1-5 commons and $10-$25 for Series 6 commons. PSA9s have been going anywhere from $25-$80 for commons of all series.

I hope that helps you decide if it's worthwhile to you. I'm sure I speak for the other builders of 72T when I say we can always use additional suppliers.

Mike
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Mike -- make sure you can use that url first without bing hassled by some anal-retentive individual at Topps having the company attorney send you a "cease and desist" letter.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Neil...I'm in.
  • Options
    Mike,

What a great idea. I don't understand why there isn't more of this. I have read time and again about egos and people actually getting into p*ssing contests with each other over their sets. I don't care what other people have, I worry about myself. I would be happy to trade with other collectors but there isn't much demand???

Said another way - I think while we might all be working on a set or sets, we all have other cards that are from our "non set" yrs. Say I'm working on a 65 set but I have a few 64's, I would love to trade the 64's for 65's.

Does anybody else share these views???

Am I wrong on this???

Thanks for your feedback,
    DL
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    rw2win-

I have seen way too many collectors who are generally unwilling to trade....anything

I am always willing to trade certain cards -- but I am only willing to trade my cards for similar cards. For example, I have a nice run of Philadelphia Phillies PSA 9 and 10 cards -- from T206 to 1985. I would generally be willing to trade (m)any of them for Mike Schmidt PSA 10 cards or 1955 Bowman PSA 8 or better cards.

However, most people that I deal with either a) give me an outright cash offer for my cards or b) try to trade my their PSA 7s and 8s for my PSA 9s. I have found it very hard to find anyone that will trade me straight-up vintage PSA 9s for 9s.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Schmidt> I have often seen the same things, but I think things change some when you have a group of people together who are building a given set. For example, when I have duplicates I usually ask around among my friends building the set if they need it. If so, we either trade for a card I need or a sale arrangement is agreed upon. Occasionally, I will trade 9s for multiple 8s that I need. And among the six people I know building the 72 set, most are outstanding trading partners. But there are a couple who seem to be socially retarded so they usually move to the bottom of the list when when I offer my duplicates.

rw2win> Thanks. My intention is mostly to provide a meeting place for people who love the 72T set (graded or ungraded) and to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the issue. I think it can also be a place for people who aren't collecting the 72 set to find a home for 72s they may be looking to get rid of. The want lists I'll post will be limited to 72T and any trades involving other years will be strictly among those parties and outside of my site.

Vargha> I thought about that and decided it is a minor concern. Topps is a hobby company and as such has more to lose than to gain by quashing fan sites extolling their products. Also, my site will not be a commercial enterprise. I will not solicit nor will I accept any advertising or other donations for the site. I will also be sure to spell out the copyright relationships in an appropriate place on the site. Failing all that, I'd hope Topps and their attorneys would have better things to do the go after a tiny fish like me.

Mike
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Mike - Looking foward to checking your site in 6 weeks. Your project is very admirable and unique. You told me a bit about it last month and told me to keep it hush until you made your announcement.
    Here's an idea that might have some merit. See if anyone can find any original ads for the '72's either Topps promoting it, or card dealers selling the set.
    With my '68 set that I'm assembling in PSA-8 & 9's, I have an original wrapper, some graded '68 Topps game cards, and a page from a 1968 Sporting News that has a few dealers selling the sets. Arrowhead Trading Co. In Mn has the complete set offered at $11.95, likewise the House Of Addington in NY, and Stan Martucci also in NY. Card Coll. Co in NY offered it at $13.95 w/ a free 64 page checklist of Bowman & Topps, and they offered singles at .4 cents each, regardless of player.
    Hmnnnn .4 cents for Mantles, Clemente, Aarons, Ryan RC's, Bench RC's - find me a time machine!.......jay
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    And Mike if you need a scan of a 1972 wrapper for your site, advise and I will Email it your way....jay
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Carlos,

Just a heads up. When you hit the 50% mark for the 72 Topps Set - you'll receive a coffee mug and a commemorative t-shirt. Just email Neil and he'll get them right out! image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Hey Frank: Can I get a mug for just for creating the "Neil Downey 72' Monster"?

Regards,
    Dr. Frankenstein
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Neil,

Did you hear that??? I should be at 50% next week.

Neil you should know that I'm 6'6" tall and 250 lbs. so make my shirt a XXL (Long)image

Frank> I can't tell if your in first or second...It changes EVERY DAY.

Carlos
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Since first and second keeps on switching, may I suggest....

The 1972 Topps PSA set...Non-Celebrity Deathmatch!

Winner takes all (the others 1972 cards)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Hey Frank, What are you trying to do to me? I think that it would be a great idea to get mugs and t-shirts and even a secret hand shake, but I am not going to supply them. Besides, 50% is nice but I'm now over 61% complete. I'm glad to see that everyone is having a fun time with the thread that I started. Keep up the talk, Neilimage
  • Options
    Hey Neil - According to Frank you've been holding out on me with that mug and T-Shirt. I guess I have to buy one of those $8.00 72' Vida Blue cards first.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Neil,

Don't stiff me on the T-shirt...

Carlos
  • Options
    To all fellow 72 collector's I would like to start an open line of communication with the most active set builders. I have many cards to either trade or sell. Just e-mail me. getupkid@earthlink.net.

Best Regards

EJ

Mike, I'll try not to be so socially retarded from now on.
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    I've also been a bit introverted on this topic so far and would like to toss in my hat for club membership. Dale just bumped me down to #7 on the set registry ranking image But I have several '72's in for grading now. Since I'm working on too many different sets at once I won't be challening the top 6 anytime soon. I look forward to checking out Mike's website next month.

I can't believe series 1 PSA 8 commons are listed on eBay at $15 each and they almost all have bids! I can't even get that kinda dough on some star cards from that era.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Erik> Welcome to the board. I think it's incredible that you're over 70% complete now. Outstanding!!
    What did you think of the Mays IA what went for $135? I was surprised you bid so high knowing how selective you are with centering.

69topps> I can sympathize that it's tough when you're building multiple sets. Paying attention to my 75T and now 82F has caused me to let many 72s go to the likes of Dale and Carlos image I still pick up a few when I can and I'm getting ready to send off a bunch of 72s in the next couple weeks. As for your comment about some commons going for $15. . .it just depends man. I've had auctions for some high# 8s which barely broke $10. Last week I vultured three high# 8s and got them for right at $15 each. And I've seen other times where you couldn't touch high#s for less than $20 or even $30. There were two PSA8 Rick Monday examples last month - one closed at $47 or so and the other at like $70. Something to keep in mind is anything with a pop lower than the number of people building the graded set is going to have demand. So population does factor into it. Especially when the set builders have to bid against all the people collecting only Cubs or Reds or a certain player. So it just depends. One of the best things to do is to make friends with the other people building the set because you'll find most of us have duplicates from time to time and offer them around. Frankly, I this is one of the things I really like about building the 72 and 75 sets. I've been fortunate enough to make some good friends among the people building these sets and sure we all bid against each other for cards, but the benefits far outweigh this.

Mike

• Options
    Mike,

I think the Mays In Action is probably one of the hardest cards in the set to find in an grade of 8 and almost impossible to find centered. Out of the many 72 sets that I've owned, many cards stand out as problem cards as far as centering. Hank Aaron IA #300, Harmon Killebrew IA #52, Vida Blue IA #170, George Hendrick #406, Ken Henderson #443, Willie Stargell IA #448, Montreal Expos Team #582, Alan Gallagher #693, and Larry Stahl #792 just to name a few that stick out in my mind. Some of these have examples of 8's and even a few 9's but they have been very tough to find perfectly centered. Also, you just don't see the the Mays IA card all that often for sale on the web or at shows.

Thanks for the compliment on my 72 progress, but what I find more impressive is Frank's percentage of 9's in his 72 set. It's pretty incredible. Many dealers have asked me when I buy 72 cards at shows if I'm Frank. His legend even lives on the west coast.

• Options
    The thing I thought was interesting is the pop on the Mays IA is somewhere in the 20s, but you're right - you hardly ever see them come up for bid. This is why I wasn't surprised when the recent PSA8 Rick Monday cards went for ~$45 and $70 even though the pop is around 8 - because I've never seen an ungraded example worth buying.

Do you generally find already-graded stuff at shows or do you mostly see ungraded stuff? At least in the midwest (Chicago) the already-graded 72s are pretty slim.

Mike
  • Options
    I guess I was lucky with the Mays IA. I found a decent one several years ago at a card shop. Since I haven't been chasing the card, I didn't realize how scarce it is. I was surprised to see one sell on eBay recently for over $100.

• Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize the scan would come out so large. Wasn't trying to hoge the thread image
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't realize the scan would come out so large. Wasn't trying to hog the thread image
  • Options
    ...and then I get busted for a spelling correction. I guess this isn't my day.
  • Options
    69topps> That's about as nicely-centered as you're going to find most of the In-Action cards. They just plain tough.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I'll buy raw cards sight seen, but won't buy them on the net. I only go to big West Coast shows. With PSA and many "PSA" dealers located right down the road, you can find very nice graded cards here. The problem is the mark up is ridiculous. I have much better luck on eBay, even when a card gets some heat like the Mays IA.

I bought a Willie Stargell IA PSA 9 for Frank at a show for $175.00, which I thought was a little pricey, and offered it to him for the same price because he kept asking me about mine. I'd do the same for you if I knew there was a card out there you wanted, but you'll have to pay a premium.

ej