Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New '65 Topps set collector here!

Hey guys, just joined the boards 4 or 5 days ago and figured I would say hello. I just began working on a 1965 Topps baseball set in PSA 7. I've currently got 8 cards in hand with 8 more on the way. I'll probably mix in a few 8's and upgrade as I can afford it, but for the most part they will be 7's. I've always loved the look of this set, and it's something that's in my current price range. Just wanted to introduce myself; have a good one!

Dustan
Just started a PSA 7 1965 Topps set!

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Welcome Dustan!

Good luck with the '65 set! Probably my 2nd favorite of the '60s (1967 is my favorite). I've got a few of the '65s in my player sets so I can appreciate this set!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Dustan,
    That's my favorite Topps set (only '53 Topps comes close to it in my opinion).

I'm building a raw NM set (with higher value cards graded PSA 7+). It's a HUGE challenge, but it's fun. I'm taking it slower than most and am just over 30% complete right now. At first I was thinking about doing the whole thing graded, but then I wondered where I'd store 600 PSA graded cards.

Good luck with the set!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dunstan!

I just retired my 65 set and have been selling off my cards.

Good luck it is a great set!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Dunstan

shoot me a PM or email me at Winpitcher@aol.com

I can put together a nice starter lot for you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I also have over 100 psa 8s that I have upgraded that I would put on ebay--PSA 8s are pretty cheap now for the most part.

E-mail me at jdc122@aol.com for the list.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The 65 set is my favorite design of the 60's, and since I can't quite afford a set in this grade from the 50's, this will do for now. Jim and Steve, I've emailed you both. I'm also hoping to pick up some stuff at the Sun Times Show this weekend in Rosemont, IL. Anyone from around IL that plans on going? See you guys around the boards.

Dustan
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Nice choice, Dustan! Glad to see you taking an active part sharing what you know. I've got probably two-thirds of a raw '65 set and maybe a little more of the '64 set. I've completed the '62 and '63 sets raw and am working on a PSA set for the '62s at this point. I collected all of these as a kid. When did you start collecting??

• Options
    Mike, I started collecting in 1990 when I was 9 years old. Been hooked ever since, other than a few years in high school where I found other interests. I had always collected only modern cards, but began getting bored with that 5-6 months ago, and started reading up on some vintage stuff. I've got a small T206 collection (halfheartedly going for the Cubs team set), and decided a few weeks ago to go for the '65 set. I wanted to do an earlier set but my current budget doesn't allow it. I know this is something that'll take me a while, but it should be a fun journey.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can get a printer friendly checklist for this set?
  • Options
    The registry has printer friendly checklist.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I found that, but I don't know how to copy and paste it into a document so I can reduce the size. I'd rather not have 17 pages worth. I can put it into Word and use 2 columns so it won't take up as many pages, but that's all I know how to do.

I got your email, also....still thinking it over.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    What are 8s going for in this set? Excluding the low pop commons and stars, of course.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    got your email, also....still thinking it over.

no problem.

yeah well with my eyes I needed the 17 pages or i'd be squinting.

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Dustan....welcome to the boards. I have some 1965's on ebay right now. Here is the link.

1965 Topps
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14