Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps 2007 Target Box Break

Okay, I really hate you guys. imageimage I was at Target to pick up some toiletries and various other "need to buy" items when I walked by the Trading card section. Of course, all this talk about 2007 Topps made me stop and pick up a "Bonus Box" with ten packs and a special pack of Ted Williams cards. Arrrggghhhh!!!! On the bright side, I was able to remove the 2006 Updates and Highlights, and 2007 Series 1 unopened packs from my list of needed packs in my collection.

Anyway, I figure I'd post what comes out of each one as I break it down as reading through all the threads about rips is kind of fun. If I get something big, I'll scan it and edit the photo back in later.

"Bonus Pack"
TW6
TW9
TW17

Pack 1:
#4: Bengie Molina
#44: Todd Greene
#80: Johan Santana
#154: Bill Hall
#253: Jim Tracy
GN62: Chase Utley (Generation Now)

Pack 2:
#37: Tony Gwynn Jr.
#129: Aramis Ramirez
#136: Jon Rauch
#206: Ben Sheets
#319: Brandon Webb
JG93: Josh Gibson HR #740

Pack 3:
#38: Adam LaRoche
#62: Dan Wheeler
#184: Gil Meche
#314: Andruw Jones
#MHR255: Mickey Mantle HR History HR #255
OTG1: Ryan Howard (Topps Own The Game)
Topps Checklist 2 of 3

Pack 4:
#94: Willy Taveras
#135: Troy Tulowitzki
#179: Joe Nathan
#265: Jimmy Rollins
#279: Adam Lind
5of5: Unlock the Mick five of five

Pack 5:
#78: Adam Loewen
#97: Dave Bush
#156: Ryan Theriot
#327: Derek Jeter/Bobby Abreu Classic Combos
MMS2: Mickey Mantle Story #2
GN63: Chase Utley (Generation Now)

Pack 6:
#45: Andre Ethier
#51: Carlos Lee
#168: Mark Teahen
#180: Roy Halladay
#272: Jeff Salazar
#153: Bob Wickman (Gold) 1799/2007

Pack 7:
#21: Chris Britton
#75: Jered Weaver
#77: Austin Kearns
#238: Philadelphia Phillies
#251: Charlie Manuel
#286: Joaquin Arias
Checklist 1 of 3

Pack 8:
#115: B.J. Ryan
#162: Chris Ray
#209: Jonathan Broxton
#217: Chris Coste
#224: Matt Thornton
#234: Pittsburgh Pirates

Pack 9:
#7: Mickey Mantle
#48: Darren Oliver
#170: Chien-Ming Wang
#173: Rob Mackowiak
#185: B.J. Upton
GN121: Justin Morneau (Generation Now)

Pack 10:
#20: Delmon Young
#84: Elizardo Ramirez
#132: Ray Durham
#264: David Murphy
#281: Chris Narveson
OTG17: Jermaine Dye (Own The Game)

Regular Issue Pack (Opened because my collection of unopened packs is only regular ones and not "store specific" ones):
#56: Mark Loretta
#75: Jered Weaver
#100: Dontrelle Willis
#201: Chuck James
#207: Mark Mulder
#218: Clay Hensley
#224: Matt Thornton
#239: New York Yankees
#254: Jerry Narron
#280: Curt Schilling
#286: Joaquin Arias
GN37: Ryan Howard (Generation Now)

So overall, nothing too spectacular or worth scanning, but it sure was fun ripping apart that box. An even better benefit is that it only cost me 12 bucks total for the box and the one pack. I think I may have to pick up a few more boxes there because $10 isn't a lot to worry about and I can go by a Target on my way home every day. image
I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    how was that only 12.00?

Either I'm blind or my Target has those at 19.99, which would certainly seem incorrect.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I have only seen the red number vartiations in hobby boxes. Has anyone found them elsewhere?
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • JdurgJdurg Posts: 997

<< <i>how was that only 12.00?

Either I'm blind or my Target has those at 19.99, which would certainly seem incorrect. >>

Then I think your Target is ripping you off. The box I bought has "$9.99" printed right on the box and that is exactly what I was charged. Doesn't seem right if they are charging you $19.99 for it. Then again, how many cards were in each of your packs? In the box I got it was 10 six-card packs and not the regular 12 card packs.

I also saw ZERO red-backed cards so those may indeed be Hobby only. If there was a hobby shop anywhere in southeast Connecticut I'd try and verify that by buying a box.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    The 07 box I got from Walmart was 19.99, but it had 20 packs with 6 cards in each pack

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Right, $9.99 for 10 and $19.99 for 20
    I thought it said 19.99.

my wife works there, I'll have her check them for me later and snag me some more if they are 9.99

Damn you guys!image
    I know the feeling. I had no plans on buying the box of cards today, but they were just sitting there calling out to me and I kept thinking about all the threads I've read on here about this year's set. I just couldn't resist that $9.99 price tag. Of course I didn't get anything spectacular which reminded me of being a kid again, nor did I get the infamous Jeter card, but I did get to relive some fun times in my life in regards to opening up packs of baseball cards. I think I'll have to pick up another box next time I stop by. It's fun doing this. image
    Yeah that darn Jeter card....my boy keeps asking if I got one.

I might have been better off paying stupid money for that card!!image

<< <i>Yeah that darn Jeter card....my boy keeps asking if I got one.

I might have been better off paying stupid money for that card!!image >>

image I'm starting to think the same thing. Each year my father gets me a complete set of Topps cards which is why I haven't tried to put one together by hand in YEARS. However, with Topps saying that the card will be changed in their factory set there is no way that I'll be able to get that variation unless I pull it from a pack. So it looks like I'll need to put together a set by hand in order to get that card. Still, I think this can be fun. If anything, it will give me a good number of these inserts that I need to complete my insert set. It's disgusting how many Topps puts out. image
  • Did you happen to notice if the ubiquitous STUDENTS WORK HARD GET CARDS card was in the Williams pack and if so did it have a sticker on it ? I'm wondering if that sticker is used to track those cards but its not magnetic.

Rich

<< <i>Did you happen to notice if the ubiquitous STUDENTS WORK HARD GET CARDS card was in the Williams pack and if so did it have a sticker on it ? I'm wondering if that sticker is used to track those cards but its not magnetic.

Rich >>

I got a few of those cards but they weren't in the Williams pack. The Williams cards were in their own clear cello packing. There was a magnetic tracker, but it was taped to the cardboard inside the box itself. The Report Card thing didn't have any stickers on there.
  • Well I guess I have the rare sticker on a worthless piece of cardboard card. What is the story on the serial numbered gold cards ?

Rich

<< <i>Well I guess I have the rare sticker on a worthless piece of cardboard card. What is the story on the serial numbered gold cards ?

Rich >>

Like they've done in the past few years, Topps is issuing a parallel set of Gold Cards in addition to their regular issue cards. With it being 2007, every card in their set has a gold version of it individually numbered to 2007. So the story is that when all is said and done there will only be a maximum of 2007 gold parallel sets possible so it's kind of tough to put them together. It's not like the gold cards from 1992-1994 where there were tens of thousands produced and it was easy to put a set together.
  • Thanks. I'm getting back into this after a 10 year absence . Just when I thought I was out, the Jeter card pulled me back in ( pulled it on my 6th pack).
  • ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    I only collect vinatage, but last night at Walmart I finally gave in and picked up 2 packs of 07 Topps. Pulled the Jeter in the second one. Real nice set this year, I might actually put the whole thing together.

<< <i>I only collect vinatage, but last night at Walmart I finally gave in and picked up 2 packs of 07 Topps. Pulled the Jeter in the second one. Real nice set this year, I might actually put the whole thing together. >>

Yeah, it is a nice set. I like the facsimile autographs on each card and the overall design. MUCH better than the crap they've been putting out in recent years. I still think they put out far too many insert and 1/1 versions of cards, but the public likes that. I think we have more of a "I want rarity" crowd than a "I want a complete set" crowd.

I myself am not really a big time collector. Many of the collections that people have here on this board dwarf mine in terms of size and value. Christ, many of the cards I've seen posted here are worth more than my entire collection. image I only collect things from 1980 onward since I wasn't alive before 1980. That's why my card collecting is limited to Topps sets and their parallels since that time. I'm really happy that I have complete sets of Topps and Topps Traded/Update from 1980-2006. I've even been able to put together many of the parallel and insert sets through the years too. My problem right now is finding room for all of this stuff. image Then, I had the fortune/misfortune of finding this forum and got the idea to collect unopened packs from each of those years as well. Damn you all. image

Anyway, welcome to the boards manofmoe and Bigstep. I haven't been here too long but have found that the people here are really nice and do what they can to help out fellow collectors. Stick around and you'll find yourself with much less money and a TON more cards. imageimage
    Geez

you guys got my Jeter!image
  • Before I got mine I thought don't correct it, now I think it should be corrected immediately.
  • Goose,

I'll send you some money so your wife could get me some topps boxes. I have bought two boxes @ $20 SH INCLUDED and have not gotten a Jeter. But I pre ordered a NY yankees team set for $3.00 (inc s/h) pre jeter hype! The 10 packs + 1 bonus do not include the RED backs.

thanks,

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies