Home Sports Talk
Options

Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame -Pete Rose

<< <i>"We're happy to have Major League Baseball's cooperation with this," >>

Refering to the Rose exhibit

There is going to be a 2,000 sq ft exhibit that is going to include 100's of Pete Rose baseball cards.

Reds Hall of Fame to open soon

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Does anyone think this will make Rose happy so that he turns off the whine machine about not getting into Cooperstown?

I doubt it will but Cooperstown looks impossible now that the selection process has moved to the veterans committee who are
    known to be even more hard core anti gambling than the sports writers.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone think this will make Rose happy so that he turns off the whine machine about not getting into Cooperstown?

I doubt it will but Cooperstown looks impossible now that the selection process has moved to the veterans committee who are
    known to be even more hard core anti gambling than the sports writers. >>

Agreed. Rose is so deeply in bed now with gambling interests, it's doubtful he will ever change, although I'd like to be incorrect about that. He just "loves" his gambling too much despite the harm and destruction it has caused him. He's "lucky" - he basically has a license to print money with his name through autographs, card shows, memorabilia, etc., so unlike 99.9999% of other addicted gamblers, he won't be going broke anytime soon or truly feel the disastrous financial consequences of gambling addiction.

Bottom line - he loves gambling more than he loves baseball. It's really quite that simple.

-
  • Options
    He must really love to gamble b/c I have never known another player to have ejoyed the game like him
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with Rose is he most likely Gambles like he played Baseball. I always wish him well
  • Options
    <<< He must really love to gamble b/c I have never known another player to have ejoyed the game like him >>>

<<< Problem with Rose is he most likely Gambles like he played Baseball. I always wish him well >>>

Astute comments!

Yes, I like Rose myself - I'll never forget how he helped my Phils win a World Series. Would the Phillies have won the 1980 World Series without Pete Rose on the team? - I doubt it.

Believe me - basically any addicted gambler who had access to almost unlimited amounts of money...wouldn't stop gambling. That's how strong is the addiction. Most all addicted gamblers only seek recovery when they are dead broke and their situation looks kind of hopeless. Rose is in sort of a unique money making situation whereby he will probably never go broke, therefore it is unlikely he will ever need to seek recovery or gain a desire to stop gambling.

I thought Rose might quit gambling after he served his prison sentence, but even that didn't stop him. Rose has been very fortunate that some illegal bookie didn't beat his brains in over well publicized gambling debts he owed to some fairly nasty bookies. I'm guessing these books were afraid that harming Rose, because of his fame, would draw attention to themselves and result in swift criminal prosecution, so basically they wrote off Rose's gambling debts. Joe Blow owing this same debt to these same bookies, and ignoring them like Rose did and not paying, would have received a baseball bat to their ribs.

• Options
    Steve you are right, I ask this though, was it neccesary to bet on or against the Reds while he managed the team?( Personally with my opinion ofcourse ) I would think that this was foolish and I cannot understand the thought process here, let me explain... would it not take the "action" feeling out of it if he had a huge edge on betting a team he manages? The best part of gambling IMO is the uncertainty of whether your going to win or lose, Unless he got way over his head with the book and he was in a " I need this game" mentality. I quess Im not sure of his financial situation at the time but I highly doubt he was in a situation where all his "out's " were gone. So why take this chance? I would think that him betting on games that he had no control over would not be looked at so harshly as his situation.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve you are right, I ask this though, was it neccesary to bet on or against the Reds while he managed the team?( Personally with my opinion ofcourse ) I would think that this was foolish and I cannot understand the thought process here, let me explain... would it not take the "action" feeling out of it if he had a huge edge on betting a team he manages? The best part of gambling IMO is the uncertainty of whether your going to win or lose, Unless he got way over his head with the book and he was in a " I need this game" mentality. I quess Im not sure of his financial situation at the time but I highly doubt he was in a situation where all his "out's " were gone. So why take this chance? I would think that him betting on games that he had no control over would not be looked at so harshly as his situation. >>

Well there is an old saying that "gamblers want to lose" - there is validity to that in certain situations but for most gamblers, I never bought this old saying - I believe that most gamblers want to win.

It's a complicated addiction depending on the person. Lots of variables, lots of influences, lots of reasons, etc. I believe as far as Rose is concerned he definitely liked the action - even with him possibly manipulating the action, of course it still wouldn't be a sure thing. He could keep his tired pitcher in the game and somehow the pitcher still manages to get the outs and win the game. Although in the long-run of course, keeping tired pitchers in the games would result in losing more games than winning (winning the bet for Rose if he bet against his team).

Rose probably knew he couldn't do this often, or even a brain-dead Ohio sportswriter would quickly figure out what was going on and expose Rose. So Rose would probably try to pick his spots betting against his own team, and as mentioned, it still wouldn't be a certainty to win the bet. He would probably place a much bigger than usual bet on that particular game and that would give him his gambling "high" - the adrenaline rush that gamblers crave, and that craving helps make gambling addiction a very tough addiction.

There is an old saying for gamblers that "the next best thing to gambling and winning, is gambling and losing" - for an addicted gambler that old saying is definitely true.

Steve

-
  • Options
    Rose should be in the hall of fame.
    Rose should not be allowed to have any job remotely close to any baseball team.

What he did on the field cannot be discounted. What he did as a manager and betting on the team, while tragic, didn't affect his 20+ years of service as a HoFer on the field.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I agree with axtell.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with axtell. >>

I do too
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Rose was a great player.

Rose has been banned from organized baseball by the Commisioner's office

The Hall of Fame chooses, but is not bound, to extend that ban to his Hall of Fame election. The Baseball Hall of Fame is not legally beholden to the commisioner's office. That said, it would be stupid for them to buck MLB.
    Wondo

• Options
    Heh, why not? Elect Rose to the Hall!!!
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the lyin' bass turd out.

Sincerely,

Eck
  • Options
    Put him in as a player!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should promote another book during Goose's HOF induction -- that will impress the Veteran's Committee.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with axtell. >>

Blasphemy, that name should never come up here! - Even if it is that worthless piece of ____. Feel free to fill in the blank with the appropriate noun.