Home Stamps Forum
Options

Here we go F'n Banner Ads on PSE's site!!!!!!!!!!

Well here we go. I saw the banner ad for "Stamp Wants" on the PSE home page. I "wants" no advertising. Ebay started adding all the ads and computer crap a few years ago and my computer just froze up or did the "delayed hoppity skip" when scrolling. I had to block a bunch of ebay's crapware just to look at the material up for bids. I can't block "Myebay so after I view it foer a couple minutes it starts locking up. I noticed the slowness right away when I saw the banner ad here. I hope this sight doesn't slow down with thead crap, if so I will never post here again, besides imagine how slow it will be to register your stamps in the registry! I think PSE takes in enough revenue without having to clog this site with ads(And I hope they're not planning to).Any of you guys ever been to a site that has so many ads that your computer is unusable? Let's hope this doesn't happen here. Yeah sure you can change a bunch of stuff on your computer or in your security settings, but why should you have to on a free site. It's not really free if you have to view a bunch of ads.

Comments

• Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    I can ignore banner ads without problem. I can't imagine it is a viable income stream - but I've never figured out how to make an informational internet site make money.

I find the "recommended dealers" links more troublesome. It is not clear what it takes to get on the preferred list (money, submissions, Papal blessing). Also, it may appear to some to be a potential conflict of interest. That always lurks in the back of my mind and such appearances should be avoided if possible.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I have most ebay ads blocked, but it took me a while (and much frustration) to figure out how. There many people who had enough of ebay at that point. How greedy can one company get. Revenue from seller fees, picture fees,Paypal fees, and then advertising at the cost of usability by the main revenue generators, the users! If you want to log in or have to log in to use a certain feature, it usually can't be blocked in the security settings otherwise it doesn't work correctly or at all.
  • Options
    edueku could you share how you blocked the ebay ads that you got blocked.
  • Options
    I am not edueku but I have no problem with ads. I use Firefox as a browser and I have added a free program called Adblock. My local online version of the newspaper used to give me fits until I added Adblock and now everything is smooth sailing. By the way, Firefox is also a free program.

Rolin Lewis
  • Options
    Basically you go into tools>internet options>security tab> restricted sites. You can add any website or page here but you have to be careful otherwise, like I mentioned above, some of your pages may not work especially one you need a password for etc. I'm still using an older browser but at the same time I don't want to have to download a new browser or software every time there is a new type of ad software. I really need to get a new PC but I'm a tightwad.
  • Options
    Thank you both for the information. I'm a big fan of Firefox and will look for that add-on. I also use IE on my other computer and will see how edueku advice works. edueku you can update an older computer with Linux and it will make a world of difference, I suggest SimplyMEPIS. It's for the more relaxed Linux user (such as myself). I can use the command line but I dont have to if I don't want to. Plenty of GUIs for most everything. You can dual boot too so you don't lose your
    Windows too.
  • Options
    Ed, please stay no matter! You've interacted and participated on this board quite a lot and it would be a shame for you to stop. I don't have a problem with the banner ad on the PSE homepage.

Jerry
  • Options
    Well I don't plan on leaving just yet. But it seems once the revenue generating ads begin there is no stop to their proliferation (money talks). Ebay was a breeze to use when I first used it in 2000, now without a bunch of their crapware blocked it is unusable on my computer(pages stalling for up to and exceeding 5 mins each). I can't even "watch" items on ebayUK, I have to write each # then go to the US version and manually type in each item # in search and then click "watch" on each one, because for some reason I can on the US version. As far as software and computers I get by with the bare minimum of knowledge. I have repaired(software) on my computer and installed a modem but that's about it. I will probably just buy a new computer eventually. Anyway I'm staying for now...