Home Metal Detecting

Few 06 finds from whatzzit jar - Big pics

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Living in Western NY, the ground is still frozen (Was -10 wind chill this morning), so I'm still Jonesing for the spring thaw and envious of the spring finds posts for this year already from you guys. Gearing up for my spring soon and grabbed a few things from last year to share. If you recognize any of them, clue me in would you please image Most of these were found in friends yards. Most of my town is from the mid 1800's, so good yards to search.

Thanks - Jeff
Edit to add approx sizes

Masonic: 1 1/4 " across

About 1 1/2"

About 1 1/8"

About 7/8 "

About 7/8"

About 3/4"

About 3/4"
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Looks like the first one is a marketing piece for a company that sold medals and such to Masonic lodges. Kind of the equivalent of the logo pens I get ion the mail from companies wanting me to buy their pens.

Second one could be a zipper fob?

The rest all look like cool buttons until the bottom and that looks like hardware from a horse bridle or saddle.

Nice finds!
    I just looked up the company hallmarked on the back of the 1st item, the Masonic medal/badge. C.G. Braxmar Co. evidently manufactured and specialized in firefighter, police, steamship and railroad badges.

They were in business for sure up until at least 2000 however when I called the phone number listed for them in New York the guy who andwered said he has had the number for at least 2-years.

Here is a list of some e-bay auctions , mostly old advertisements for Braxmar.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks DesertRat.

The Masonic thing was found at a friends house that only dated back to about the 20's. I figured that piece was somewhere from the 30's - 50's. Google shows a lot from the late 1800's from this company up to recently, but I haven't found one exactly like it. I meant to take a picture of it when the other masonic items were popping up in the fall on the board, but was too lazy.

I searched through a few hundred webpages trying to match some of the buttons, but never came close. I have a few dozen more, but those were the only ones with a lot of detail. The 2nd thing down reminded me of the medals I have from the military minus the ribbon part, but maybe a FOB of some sort.

Jeff

The second one is the emblem of the U.S. Army

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top two are watch fobs, likely from the turn of the last century. If you dug them, hats off to you! Good finds!

The Masonic fob has a very Victorian/Edwardian era look to it, judging from the lettering font used on the back.

The eagle fob might be an army emblem, but the Great Seal is used on plenty of other things.

The eagle button looks like a civilian variant, so I don't know what it is. It's old, but not more than 100 years or so, were I to take a wild guess. That punched tin (?) shank like that is curious. I found a civilian variant anchor button with a like that once in an old park in Savannah (before I realized it was forbidden to detect there).

Speaking of anchor buttons, I am not sure if yours is civilian or military. If it is military, it's not US military, to my knowledge.

To me, all of those finds look to be from around the late 19th century to the first decade or so of the 20th century, at the latest.

I love old fobs and baggage tags, probably second only to coins and tokens. I like 'em even more than buttons, and I like finding buttons a lot, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Nice assortment of relics Jeff!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • In hoc signo vinces (Greek: "åí ôïýôù íßêá") is a Latin phrase meaning "in this sign you shall conquer."

Lol, got it from WIKI.

Joe
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love old fobs and baggage tags, probably second only to coins and tokens. I like 'em even more than buttons, and I like finding buttons a lot, too. >>

This is about as close as I have from the last few years. My 1st few years detecting I use to just keep the coins and jewelery and tossed a lot of the beat up stuff like this unfortunately.

The dog tags are from 1967, 1933, and unknown tag marked "Royal Dog Food" at the bottom.

The 3 things at the top have a neat story. The left one was found at the high school's old (IE 40's) football field area about 6 inches down in a sidewalk crack that use to lead to the ticket booth. The right one was found at a friends barn built around 1870's while looking for their kids pocket knife they had lost (I got to keep anything not the pocketknife). But the middle one is my most favorite piece in the world.

When my elderly aunt (mid-80's) moved a few years ago, I helped her move and had a day to detect the yard. It was a double lot that had a house tore down (where 4 generations of my family had grown up) and had so much trash I didn't find much. But in the back corner next to a shed where the garage had been 50 years ago I found that. That was my grandfathers from the 1939 World's Fair.