Home Sports Talk
Options

Bears RB Thomas Jones traded to the Jets

Article

I say the Jets get the better deal here. Benson is good, but not as good as Jones. Jones is a very very underrated RB in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it works out better for Benson, now he has a hold on the starting job in Chicago, he has been in the league a few years now and has fresh legs so the Bears made out ok as well. Jones is going to be thrown into a mix of running backs in New York, Barlow, Houston, Washington, and who knows did Curtis retire yet?
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm still wondering why the Jets went for Jones when they already have Barlow and Washington. Granted, neither of those two are great, or as good as Jones, but they're decent. They need more help in other areas. Then again, they did make a great deal IMO.
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm still wondering why the Jets went for Jones when they already have Barlow and Washington. Granted, neither of those two are great, or as good as Jones, but they're decent. They need more help in other areas. Then again, they did make a great deal IMO.

The Jets had the 2nd worst yard per carry avg. in the AFC

Obtaining an above average runningback was VITAL for the Jets offense

Dave
  • Options
    Any news on Martin?
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I really like the move. I think Barlow is unrestricted. Houston has been inconsistent and injured and he is not that big. They are probably looking at Washington as a third down, David Meggett type back.

Curtis Martin was on the NFL Network the other day and it looks like he is going to retire.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curtis Martin had done everything but announce his retirement. His knee simply won't heal. This was a must for the Jets. Even if doing running back by committee you have to have at least one good running back, last years trio was average at best.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bears got rid of the wrong back. They never should have drafted Benson. Don't get me wrong, he will be good. But Jones has been great since coming to Chicago. Even when they had no passing offense, and everybody stacked 8 in the box Jones got 100 yards most weeks (including receiving). Then he held the rookie off for an entire year because he was simply better (so was Adrian Peterson). This year the one-two punch was great at the end, but it was Jones who was the key.

Reminds me of the Bills and Travis Henry/McGahee. What's the rush to get rid of a high performing player? Jets got an absolute steal.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Thomas Jones is like the plague in the locker room. That's why the Bears got rid of him, it has nothing to do with Benson or Peterson.
  • Options
    I don't think Barlow can do much with the Jets. He didn't do much this past season.

It's very likely that Curtis Martin will retire, just a matter of when than if.

With the dual RB style with teams, I would love to have Jones and Washington as a tag team. That would be sweet.

Don't know if Benson will be the solo RB.
    Take the plunge into my ebay store
  • Options
    How is Jones a cancer to his team...examples please. He did voice his displeasure on losing carries and frankly how can you blame him...he has been a consistant 1200 yard back.

The Jets hardly gave up anything to get him, so this is a great deal for them as it is almost foolproof
  • Options
    I have a pretty good inside source for alot of NFL news, and was told that absolutely everyone in the Bears locker room couldn't stand Thomas Jones(makes alot of sense too why he didn't stay too long at Tampa.) I was told he constantly berated the other Bears RB's and Lovie Smith personally asked he be traded due to his effect on the rest of the team.
  • Options
    With all due respect, I will continue to get my NFL news from the likes of John Clayton, Peter King and Chris Mortenson and nary a once have I heard them report on such incidents
  • Options
    With all due respect, just cause they didn't say it doesn't mean it's not true. And if you knew Peter King you wouldn't trust what he says, but to each their own.
  • Options
    Why would they not say it, that's a sexy story to the medium. Lets see a report on a good guy giving turkeys to charity or lets report on a player acting like a turkey

You and I both know what story the media is going to feed
  • Options
    can't argue with which story they would run with no doubt
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i am not a bears fan. but all the talk around chicago is that you are wrong about jones being a cancer. all the radio heads say that everyone on the team liked jones. few of the players like benson, hes a loner they say.

but since i am not a bears fan i love that they gave him up and a late #2 for an early #2 pick. i sorry but benson has been hurt three times in two seasons. not sure if he can last a full season yet. i also thought jones was the better runner. benson is tough but speed kills. not sure how benson's hands are at catching the ball either, jones could.

so for me this ranks up there in highlights for the bears for this calendar year with...letting rivera go...grossmans t.o.s in the superbowl...nobody showing up at the airport as the bears limp back from miami early in the morning.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Jones was well like and respected by the players. Having said that he's been whining for two years now about wanting a new contract and how badly he's been treated. He told them he wouldn't resign he wanted to play in Florida, blah blah blah. What choice did they have, while he is a good back they have a first rounder on the bench. They've got other players to take care of in the next 2 years. If they hadn't traded him they would have gotten nothing for him and had to listen to him whine all year. They already have Briggs crying like a baby, who wants to be paid more than Urlacher.

If the Bears get a good player in the draft and the he plays well for the Jets then they both made out ok. Frankly I am tired of professional athletes whining about making $7.2 million a year. I think the Bears are tired of it too.
  • Options
    I really am not looking to convince anyone, but I'm not sure what all of your sources are, but mine is a former NFL player and the other has been involved with the league since the AFL days.
  • Options
    If he was such a problem we would have heard about it....bottom line.

As mentioned the media loves stories like that
  • Options
    dude your pretty convinced the media picks up or writes about every single bad or possible negative story they possibly could. sorry, it just don't work that way in reality in every instance.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, I've got CB in a protection league image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Jets fan, I'm very happy with the trade. We got an All-Pro caliber, 1,200 yard back for a song. And with plenty of cap room, the Jets should be able to sign Jones to a nice deal. This was a salary dump trade by the Bears, IMO, and the Jets are the beneficiaries. Boy, the Bears are getting cheap! First they want to keep Lovie Smith one of the lowest paid coaches in the league after bringing a team to the Super Bowl, and now this move. Can Benson endure the beating that comes with being an every down back? He's had his share of injuries already and then some, so I'd be a little apprehensive about his durability if I were a Bears fan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect, I will continue to get my NFL news from the likes of John Clayton, Peter King and Chris Mortenson and nary a once have I heard them report on such incidents >>

• Options

<< <i>I have a pretty good inside source for alot of NFL news, and was told that absolutely everyone in the Bears locker room couldn't stand Thomas Jones(makes alot of sense too why he didn't stay too long at Tampa.) I was told he constantly berated the other Bears RB's and Lovie Smith personally asked he be traded due to his effect on the rest of the team. >>

Actually I was under the immpression that Benson was the one who did not seem to "fit in" and Bears players questioned his committment to the team, last year he came a long way and was starting to get respect from his teamates.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Benson has a long way to go to earn his teammates respect, no doubt about that. However they don't own the team or coach it. This decision was a tough one, it boiled down to having to pay a lot of money to two quality backs, which the owners and braintrust decided they couldn't do. This has become a game of interchangeable running backs. Now they have two of the top 37 picks, let's see how they do before we criticize them too much.

Lovie signed a contract and got an extension that pays him over 5 million in the extension years. Angelo got a longer extension, its time for those who call them cheap to zip it up. Its time for Smith and Angelo to earn those large long term contracts and it seems they understand this better than the posters here. On of the lessons you learn in life is that automatically following the pack isn't necessarily a good long term plan or because someone else's daddy and mommy bought their 13 year old a scooter means that you should too. image