Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coinworld is reporting a new bill introducing new reverse designs for the Sac Dollar.

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
A bill introduced on 02/14/07 would see that the 2007 and beyond Sac Dollars would get a new reverse every year. The bill proposes a new reverse design on not less than 20% of the total Sac Dollar coins minted and issued every year during the Presidential dollar coin program.

Its called: The Native American $1 Coin act or S. 585.

Exactly how many Dollar coins will we need?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Sac reverse changes sound like fun. As far as "how many dollar coins do we need?", maybe with more, the dollar coin will finally catch on. They sure provide more excitement than all the recent paper money changes/improvements, and they open up a lot of possibilities for future coin collectors.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    they are making Sac dollars at the same time as the pres dollars? Dude, WTF?!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they are making Sac dollars at the same time as the pres dollars? Dude, WTF?! >>

Yep! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>they are making Sac dollars at the same time as the pres dollars? Dude, WTF?! >>

Yes, it was written into the law that was discussed during the last half of 2005, signed into law in Dec 2005, and discussed ad infa nauseum for the last year. Where have you been? image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image You KNOW this is ONLY for COLLECTORS!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the breaking news!

Beat you on this one, Russ!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just waiting for the announcement that the Jefferson Presidental Dollar will become permanent...
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I read the same article, if they cant duplicate the same artistic level as the current look that would be great for collecting IMO.
    Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I read the same article, if they cant duplicate the same artistic level as the current look that would be great for collecting IMO. >>

Actually, a permanent design change for all of our coinage -- and preferably not just from one rendition of a dead president to another of the same dead president -- would be even better for collecting.

This one-off, short-term "collect 'em all" stuff is a way for the Mint to milk the golden goose for all its worth, while avoiding the real issue of stagnant long-term coin designs.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Regardless of what they put on those little dollar coins people will just not use them. At least no one I know even tries to use them. The only reason I ever get them is in change instead of a quarter. I'm still waiting for kids in school chem labs to Copper plate the Washington Quarters to look like the Washington Dollar.
    Carl
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    All right this is getting unreal. They are killing the goose. Stop it already.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>while avoiding the real issue of stagnant long-term coin designs. >>

Never forget the primary mission of the US Mint is to produce the coinage needed for our Nation. Stagnant designs do not interfere with the primary mission.

But I do agree changes would be welcomed. My changes:

End the Cent with the 2009 Flurish, no replacement.
    Redesign the nickel for 2008 (70 Years). New composition, same size, vending compatible, new deisgn.
    Redesign the dime in ______. Same composition, same size, new design.
    Run a quarter program for the US Territories and the District of Columbia in 2009.
    Redesign the quarter in 2010. Same composition, same size, new design.
    End the half dollar after 2013 (50 years) with no replacement.
    End the Sac after 2009 (10 years).
    After the Presidential Dollars reach the end of the 2-years dead Presidents, run a new rotating reverse series.

Principles for new designs:
    1) Dead presidents should be out for any new design. Exception: Continue the dead presidents as recently deceased presidents reach 2 years.
    2) Designs should reflect US values.... Liberty, Justice, Equality, Opportunity, etc.
    3) Rotating reverse could feature amendments to the constitution (much be historical and thus educational).

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭
    This could solve the problem of what to do with all the mandatory minted Sac dollars.

WH
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they will try to make the SACs look worse than the President dollars and then hope that people will think that the President dollars look good.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image You KNOW this is ONLY for COLLECTORS! >>

Nope...it is ONLY for special interest groups.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the upcoming changes to the reverse (4) of the Lincoln Cent.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget the upcoming changes to the reverse (4) of the Lincoln Cent. >>

Those are for collectors. 1 year, not strung out, not about political areas (that I can tell yet), getting back to original look, etc.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

Never forget the primary mission of the US Mint is to produce the coinage needed for our Nation. Stagnant designs do not interfere with the primary mission.

Redesign the nickel for 2008 (70 Years). New composition, same size, vending compatible, new deisgn.
    Run a quarter program for the US Territories and the District of Columbia in 2009.
    After the Presidential Dollars reach the end of the 2-years dead Presidents, run a new rotating reverse series.

1) Dead presidents should be out for any new design. Exception: Continue the dead presidents as recently deceased presidents reach 2 years.
    2) Designs should reflect US values.... Liberty, Justice, Equality, Opportunity, etc.
    3) Rotating reverse could feature amendments to the constitution (much be historical and thus educational). >>

here's what I'd like to see done, but it will never happen with so many resources invested in the state quarters program...

eliminate the cent and the nickel.. round to the nearest dime. Redesign the dime but keep it the same size. Make a 50 cent coin that is nickel sized but change the composition slightly for vending machine purposes. Eliminate the quarter and make a dollar coin that is quarter sized (I suppose they could use the current dollars).. again changing it slightly for vending machine purposes... eliminate the half dollar and make a 5 dollar coin that is half dollar sized. Then they can eliminate the dollar bill and optionally the 5 dollar bill... and people will have more reason to keep track of their change instead of just throwing it into a jar plus there will be less of it.

My grand plan that will never be implemented. image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    If they introduce anymore designs coin collecting is going to be like stamp collecting. There will just be too many.

They should not mess with the sac design. The reverse is truly excellent. Why not just leave it alone?
  • Options
    RodiusRodius Posts: 857

<< <i>Regardless of what they put on those little dollar coins people will just not use them. At least no one I know even tries to use them. The only reason I ever get them is in change instead of a quarter. I'm still waiting for kids in school chem labs to Copper plate the Washington Quarters to look like the Washington Dollar. >>

You are right about that. 1883 V nickel comes to mind.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

3) Rotating reverse could feature amendments to the constitution (much be historical and thus educational). >>

here's what I'd like to see done, but it will never happen with so many resources invested in the state quarters program...

eliminate the cent and the nickel.. round to the nearest dime. Redesign the dime but keep it the same size. Make a 50 cent coin that is nickel sized but change the composition slightly for vending machine purposes. Eliminate the quarter and make a dollar coin that is quarter sized (I suppose they could use the current dollars).. again changing it slightly for vending machine purposes... eliminate the half dollar and make a 5 dollar coin that is half dollar sized. Then they can eliminate the dollar bill and optionally the 5 dollar bill... and people will have more reason to keep track of their change instead of just throwing it into a jar plus there will be less of it.

My grand plan that will never be implemented. image >>

Eliminating any denomination will, imho, spark "inflation" fears among the general populace and is the WRONG thing to do.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Eliminating any denomination will, imho, spark "inflation" fears among the general populace and is the WRONG thing to do.

Is this what happens historically?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file