Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need Advice, Please

to start. i'm not a collector but my parents died and i've got several silver dollars, i'm guessing about 30 or 40, anyway i need to know if any of them are special other than being silver dollars...also my dad had a run of maybe 10 or 15 years plus duplicates for several years..i need to split these up into three equal or near equal parts and not knowing the value of any of these plus if there is any special value in trying to keep the run of years in tact as much as possible, has got me baffled....i can make a list of what i have in order to get some help from you folks or if it would be better, i could take them to someone local...i just have no idea how to accomplish this task...any help would greatly be appreciated !...if anyone would like to give me advice, i'm all ears and if you would like to email me, my email is...satch@carolina.rr.com

thanks in advance

Gary Blackburn
need help in knowing what i have here

Comments

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    You have come to the right place. Pics., dates, etc. will allow the experts on the board to help you. jws
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    You have definitely come to the right place. When you post a list of coins and show us some pictures, there will be many great people ready and willing to help.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards, Satch! Enjoy!

You've come to the right place for help. First thing though, do NOT clean any of your coins, if you do clean them you will reduce their value substantially. We have plenty of silver dollar experts on here who will be glad to help.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Hi!

I'm sorry about your loss.

Post pictures here, and we'll try to help. Be careful handling them.

Whether or not they turn out to have much value beyond the silver (some do and some don't), you should keep them as a reminder of your dad. If you sell, you will likely regret it.

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT clean or polish the coins in any way. This is by FAR the biggest "rookie" mistake.

Coins that seem at first glance like duplicates may actually be differrent mint marks or other varieties.

Rex

• Options
    Sorry for your loss, pics are are must as here you will find a great deal of knowledge from some very coin savvy folks and welcome to the boards.
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome & condolences.

If in upcoming days/weeks/months you do take them to somebody local, don't sell them to the first guy you see. You might find radically different offers between dealers.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Wow !!!...Talk about people eagar to help !!!...You folks are a prime example !!...It may take me a bit but I'll get on this asap...And thanks for your kind words and offers to help !!....Oh, and I can only speak for myself but no, I'll not be selling any of mine !!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow !!!...Talk about people eagar to help !!!...You folks are a prime example !!...It may take me a bit but I'll get on this asap...And thanks for your kind words and offers to help !!....Oh, and I can only speak for myself but no, I'll not be selling any of mine !! >>

Welcome to the boards. A lot of good people here ready to help you.

Where in the Carolinas are you located?
  • Options
    I'm in Charlotte, on the east side close to Matthews
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your losses.

Just be sure to handle the coins with care, by the edges if they are not in holders.

Don't clean, wipe, polish anything, it will reducece their value to nil, in some cases.

On the bright side, welcome to a wonderful hobby. Your best bet is to list them all here for everyone to see and if you can post any pictures, that would really help. This is the only place on earth where you can speak and learn from the best in the industry. It has done wonders for me and probably saved me a few thousand dollars in mistakes.

Life member of the SSDC
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in Charlotte, on the east side close to Matthews >>

Cool. I'm in SC near Florence.

In two weeks Charlotte is having a fairly large coin show. Might want to check it out.
  • Options
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Im in SC also... right by Georgia... on Hilton Head Island.

I visit Charlotte often.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file