Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare??? Double Variety Buffalo Nickel ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260085361550&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016 Hi Folks...check out this auction that ended a little while back on ebay. I had been watching it and after searching for a mention of this "double variety"...I couldn't find a reference. Cherrypickers Vol II mentions each variety but not a coin with both. I was willing to go around $200 just for the sake of having this unusual variety combo...but then the bidding went WAY over the top. Has anyone heard of this coin and did the winning bidder know something I didn't??image In case my link didn't work the auction # is 260085361550
Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Link Help

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Link Help

-Paul >>

Thanks Paul image I have to use the test forum to learn how to do that...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Buffalo Nickels The Abraded Die Varieties by Ron Pope, the 1913-S Type 1 with 2 feathers and no designer's initial is one of the rarest abraded die variety Buffalo nickels, with fewer than 12 seen according to the author. The book estimates its value at $425 in AU-50 so the auction went fairly high, but when you have 2 determined collectors, which appears to have happened in this auction, the price went over the estimate. I think part of the reason for the high price is that the 1913-S Type 1 2 feather seems to come in only the No Designer Initial permutation, forcing anyone who collects 2 feather Buffaloes to get that variety just to get the 2 feather for that date.

The book mentioned above is excellent for any Buffalo nickel fan of these kind of varieties. (For disclosure purposes, I have no financial interest in this book.)

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Thank you Rich ... I will have to add that book to my collection
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the coin pictured in the E-Bay auction is the same coin shown as a two feather variety that was found by Norm Talbert and included with picture on page 73 of David Lange's Buffalo Nickel Book.

The picture in Lange's book does not show the area around the date, so it is impossible to know for certain if the Lange picture lacks an initial.

It is my personal opinion that Mr. Talbert would not have missed the lack of a designers "F".

That E-Bay coin is one strange bird.

The only way that the two errors could be on the same coin might possibly happened like this:

The obverse die was removed and re-worked (polished) to extend its' life. The polishing removed the feather. The die was then re-inserted in the press, and more than likely the initial became obscured in some way later.

I don't think that a die is re-worked more than once, however I may be wrong. A susequent re-working could have easily removed the initial. A good build up of grease could also do it.

Needless to say, this is the first time I have heard of this double variety.

It should be pointed out that if this coin was a Philadelphia issue, the missing initial would have caused a bit of a stir.

The trial strikings of the Buff were all done without the initial, and the coin could have possibly been a trail striking which somehow got out of the Mint..........thus making it quite rare.

Pete

Edited to add: I posted this reply before seeing the previous 2 posts. So I guess the coin was known, but still quite rare.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the seller of that coin, I'll bet you anything that he cherrypicked it and it is new to the condition census. The hammer price is very strong, but I doubt anyone can find another of similar quality offered for sale in the last ten years. The example I cherried a few years ago has no feather and no initial... and no date. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    The information on this board is priceless.
    Could not afford the coin in question, but they let me hang out here for free.
    I'm getting an exceptional education. Thanks to all those who are helping me learn. jws
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was quite surprised at the price it brought, too. I know the buyer. The coin is quite rare-one of the "stoppers" for someone trying to complete a 2 feather set.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Cool Buffalo, I have one without the 'F'. I sent it to ANACS over a year ago and they did not designate it 'No F'image
    ANACS claimed they could see an F. I still don't see it.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    The coin you show has NO initial. It's a well known NF (no "F") variety. You are not the only one who's had trouble with proper attribution at ANACS. That's one of several reasons I refuse to slab with them anymore.
  • Options
    Typical for ANACS as of late. The coin you show is the no F variety, no matter what the bobos at ANACS say.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard back from the seller last night, I was right, he did cherrypick that coin. I won't share what he paid, but he definitely earned himself a coveted YOU SUCK™. I sent him a link to the thread, in case he wanted to join and share the story of his good fortune.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The information on this board is priceless.
    Could not afford the coin in question, but they let me hang out here for free.
    I'm getting an exceptional education. Thanks to all those who are helping me learn. jws >>

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The book estimates its value at $425 in AU-50 so the auction went fairly high... >>

Yes, but for super rareties it's always tough to estimate values since little data if any is ever available. I'm sure Ron will be updating his records to reflect this.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Chris-

Already done!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, everybody!

I'm new to the message boards, and I just got my login info, so I apologize for not jumping in earlier!
    I was the seller of the coin. I really don't collect any more- I enjoy cherrypicking at the local shows and selling my finds on eBay. I live 5 minutes from ANACS, so that has allowed me to keep my cost down and get a lot more coins certified, since I don't have to pay registered postage both ways. I bought '13-S @ the Money Show of the Southwest in Houston in January. The dealer had it in a book of 'errors' along with a couple other 2-feather dates (1 was a '20-S, the other was a 1918- I don't remember the mint). All were attributed as 2-feather varieties, and all were decent grades (VF+), but the '13-S was the only one that didn't have any problems (the others had rim dings and scratches). I had seen a 1916 2-feather in MS-63 (PCGS- not attributed) sell on eBay around that time for $600, and I knew that the better grade 2F nickels were very desirable, so I bought that one. The dealer had it graded as an AU (which I knew it wasn't) and was charging just over redbook AU price, so I felt pretty safe in paying what he asked. It wasn't until I got the coin back home to Austin and was taking it out of the 2X2 to take to ANACS that I realized the F was missing also. I submitted it as a 2-feather no F, and that's what it came back as. I figured it would sell in the $300-$500 range, so I was really shocked when I saw the final price!

PS

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy the Pope book? I want to learn more...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Hi cmerlo1, welcome and congrats on your auction!

I think if you send a pm to forum member 'koynekwest' he may be able to steer you in the right direction for the book you seekimage
  • Options
    cmerlo1-

Send me a message---coinquest_sixtyone@yahoo.com
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Great variety. Happy it brought such a strong price, but not happy for the attention
    it brings to 2 feathers.... (more for me at less $$$)

( I picked up a MS 1916 at Sundays coin show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
    It was the "last" buffalo to look at (I looked at them all)...lol so I felt happy that I at least found a good two feather, even if a more common date!
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain what "two feathers" means? I looked at some buffalos and they all have two feathers. Sorry for the Newb question, but consider the source.

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Rob, try this:

<< <i>Saturday November 04, 2006 9:13 PM

<< This may be a stupid question.

What is the difference between a 'Two feathers' Buffalo Nickel and a non 'Two feathers' Buffalo Nickel? I can not tell.

Thank you for any help! >>

OK, on the obverse, the normal Buffalo nickel has 3 feathers. There are 2 large feathers that are easily visible, one ends a little above the 9 o'clock position and one ends at the 8 o'clock position. Between the feather that ends ar the 8 o'clock position and the Indian's neck is usually a third triangular-shaped feather that is about the size of one of the digits in the date. Thus, three feathers.

Sometimes, die polishing removed this triangular feather, so now there are only 2 feathers.
    Also, sometimes, die polishing removed half of the third feather, so now there are 2 1/2 feathers.

I have several of these in my stock, PM if there is any interest. >>

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>Can someone explain what "two feathers" means? I looked at some buffalos and they all have two feathers. Sorry for the Newb question, but consider the source.

Rob the Newbie >>

Between the two long feathers and the head is a shorter feather on most. However, when the dies were polished, there were occasions when they got a bit carried away and hence, the Abraded Die Varieties...most popular, is the "Two Feathers" variety. And, of course, the famous 3-legged 37-D.

Take a closer look at the coins pictured in this thread and then look at other Buffalo Nickels...you will see that the shorter feather is missing on the coins pictured here.

Please correct me if my info in incorrect or incomplete, Ron...
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, ok, now I see it... it looked at first like the "third feather" was hair to me and I didn't see the difference until i compared two pictures on the forum and knew where to look.

Thank you all, you are terrific and I learn more and more each day.

Rob the Newbie
    Rob the Newbie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file