Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Dollars...They are a Disgrace

Got my two Mint wrapped rolls today and what a disappointment. I'm seriously considering returning them. Not because their banged-up (which they are) but rather because of their farcical nature. Was this the best the Mint could come up with for circulating coinage? The design is a disgrace, a 4 year old kid could have drawn a better portrait of Washington!

What's the metal content of these "coins"?

If the Mint doesn't improve on the next issue, I could see the program being discontinued after the first year. Very, very disappointing.
imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    I don't see what is wrong with them, I think they look nice especially the back. As for the design part being the reason to return them, we all knew what they looked like before we ordered them.

Edit: at least you got yours, my order is still suspended and today I called they said it will be cleared up by Monday.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The design is a disgrace, a 4 year old kid could have drawn a better portrait of Washington! >>

You didn't see the design before ordering?

Russ, NCNE
  • They might be a disgrace, but I plan to start each day with 8 of 'em to spend when needed.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Tell us what you really think...quit sugar coating it.

There is only one thing I don't like about the coin and it is the lack of a good square edge (compare the rim to that or a Sacagawea.) I think they must have had to do it like that for the lettering machine which makes me think they're using that rotary one we see a sketch of in many threads.

--Jerry
  • While we are on this... What's up with the large protrusion at the bridge of Washington's nose? Is there a compartment in there with an inflatable raft? I can't get past this one aspect of the "portrait" (before criticizing the rest of it), it's grotesque.
  • The Presidential Dollars make the Sacagawea Dollar look like St Gaudens.

I agree, the Mint could have done a better job............image
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    I like them, and have been spending themimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the new dollars, but ALL of the crap coming out of the mint since about the 30's or 40's depending on the denomination has been BUTT UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, there will NEVER be another good design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!
  • These will end up in the cashier's drawer in the slot with the rubber bands,paper clips and SAC's. They'll go back to the bank with the deposit, where most of them will stay, because few retail chains will request them.

• << <i>I haven't seen the new dollars, but ALL of the crap coming out of the mint since about the 30's or 40's depending on the denomination has been BUTT UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, there will NEVER be another good design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!! >>

Last "Good" design........Standing Liberty Quarter
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last "Good" design........Standing Liberty Quarter

Your leaving out the Mercury Dime AND the Walking Liberty Half! But you are on track!imageimage
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what Renaissance the mint had in mind?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • They're worth one dollar and I've been spending them. Think of them as advertisements for the hobby. But I do agree, they could have done much better with the design.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I especially like Washington's 'possessed' eyes! image
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

The edge lettering looks real tacky.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The design is a disgrace, a 4 year old kid could have drawn a better portrait of Washington! >>

You didn't see the design before ordering?

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree with Russ here. Don't buy or handle them if you dislike them so much.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>I especially like Washington's 'possessed' eyes! image >>

Kinda like Jefferson on this Liberian issue.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The edge lettering looks real tacky. >>

Like they were made in China, but not to specification.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • there will never be any more decent designs unless they mint higher relief coins again. only so much they can do with the ultra shallow relief of the coins they mint now. of course they could do a bit better with the allowable relief now but that would take some talent and they seem to be sorely lacking that these days. not that I could do any better..lol. but dcarr could. ;-]
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got my two Mint wrapped rolls today and what a disappointment. I'm seriously considering returning them. Not because their banged-up (which they are) but rather because of their farcical nature. Was this the best the Mint could come up with for circulating coinage? The design is a disgrace, a 4 year old kid could have drawn a better portrait of Washington!

What's the metal content of these "coins"?

If the Mint doesn't improve on the next issue, I could see the program being discontinued after the first year. Very, very disappointing. >>

I agree. They need an artist to design the coins. Washington looks sick, to be sure, but the statue on the back is beautiful. Maybe we could rub Georgie's face off completely and call them statue dollars.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got my two Mint wrapped rolls today and what a disappointment. I'm seriously considering returning them. >>

Why would you return them? Why not just spend them? It is money, you know.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

OMG!! That is worse than the georgie dollars!! Yikes image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you go clear back to the bank to change 2 dimes and a nickel for a quarter? Why not just spend them for christ sake?
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    As far as coinage art and quality, they are very much dreck... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • BurksBurks Posts: 1,103

<< <i>The edge lettering looks real tacky. >>

I agree.

These coins are soooo damaged they look like someone made them out of their garage. Not to mention the pathetic design.

And here I thought the Mint could do no worse than some of the state quarter designs....damn they proved me wrong! SBA's look good compared to these (really, they do).
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!

<< <i>As far as coinage art and quality, they are very much dreck... image >>

They are ugly coins, sure. But most of modern US circulating coinage is ugly. In that regard, they fit right in. The most beautiful coin the US has produced for circulation in the past 50 years is the Sacagawea dollar, and many people here deride that coin as a failure.

Nonetheless, Prexybucks spend just fine. I bought a quart of half-and-half with three of them today. They worked.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are sheit!

ren
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there will never be any more decent designs unless they mint higher relief coins again. only so much they can do with the ultra shallow relief of the coins they mint now. of course they could do a bit better with the allowable relief now but that would take some talent and they seem to be sorely lacking that these days. not that I could do any better..lol. but dcarr could. ;-] >>

Wow, thanks!

You may have seen the earlier thread, but if not, look here (go to second post on page 2):
    My new President dollar is ... Unbelievable !!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

No that is downright frightful. But I can tell you from experience that a frontal portrait of Jefferson is quite difficult to pull of. When I was working on the reliefs for the first four president concept dollars, Jefferson was the one I struggled with the most - by far. I'm still not happy with how it turned out, but here is how I left it:

• To me, the design is so plain and large I think it was made this was so anyone.. meaning kids, elderly or foreigners can read it and know what it is. Not fancy, dull, appeals to everyone!
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!

• << <i>

Kinda like Jefferson on this Liberian issue. image >>

So that's where the prexybucks were designed. /SARC

Ya know Dcarr, it's a da*n shame the political idiots lack the nads to get decent looking coinage out to the public. IMO you should take charge of the mint.
    Mark
  • <<I agree with Russ here. Don't buy or handle them if you dislike them so much. >>

I agree with Wei here.

Personally I think they are great. To get them in wide circulation all we need to do is stop printing $1 bills which aren't worth very much anyway....

• << <i>Your leaving out the Mercury Dime AND the Walking Liberty Half! But you are on track! >>

The Mercury dime and Walking half both came out before the standing liberty quarter so it was the last GOOD design. image

<< <i>The Mercury dime and Walking half both came out before the standing liberty quarter so it was the last GOOD design. image >>

All three came out in the same year -- 1916.
  • Yes but the dime and half came out earlier in the year. The SLQ didn't come out until mid December.

<< <i>Yes but the dime and half came out earlier in the year. The SLQ didn't come out until mid December. >>

Well, if you want to get technical about it....
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I like em...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

They reserved all their artistic talent for the first lady coins.
  • I'm still awaiting my rolls from the mint. I just hope they look better than the ones being talked about on the boards. If not I'll just have some fun spending them.
    Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there will never be any more decent designs unless they mint higher relief coins again. only so much they can do with the ultra shallow relief of the coins they mint now. of course they could do a bit better with the allowable relief now but that would take some talent and they seem to be sorely lacking that these days. not that I could do any better..lol. but dcarr could. ;-] >>

How very true.
  • I think we should just ask the treasury to start printing 50c, 25c and 10c bills. It's apparent that most individuals are freaked out at the thought of a $1 coin.
    Is it REALLY such a big deal? I say, Spend Them!
    Audentes fortuna juvat
  • I spent a few more today. I even left a few as a tip after dinner. Someone said "oh..they only left quarters". These things are not flying well so far!image
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • I don't feel they are as hideous as you think, although I do find them rather ugly and token-like

<< <i>Someone said "oh..they only left quarters". These things are not flying well so far!image >>

I don't believe you. Not for a second. No one would say that, even if it were true. You made that up to support your pro-rag-buck agenda. Why don't you just come out and admit that you're a shill for paper?
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I have been spending Sacs and the pres dollars regularly and not one person since 2000 has ever mistaken them for quarters. I regularly spent SBAs as well and people often mistook those, but never the "golden" dollars.
  • I guess it is finally time for me to chime in about these new coins...I don't like them...I will refuse to accept them for payment or change. I do not like "Modern Coins" ... anything pre- presidential is what I like.

Once we started putting 'dead' people on our coins...I feel we forgot our history and our rejection of English coins for the image of the King that they carried.

OK...I've said it...I've heard everyone elses opinions and thought I should share mine...

...image ... I can't say I feel any better having shared this...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
    I don't like them...I will refuse to accept them for payment or change.

I bet you are not alone in this sentiment.
    Once we started putting 'dead' people on our coins...I feel we forgot our history and our rejection of English coins for the image of the King that they carried.

If I remember correctly, Washington did not wish his likeness to be on US coinage because it resembled the practice of putting kings on coins. I too much prefer symbolic coin designs rather than portraits of historical figures.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

No that is downright frightful. But I can tell you from experience that a frontal portrait of Jefferson is quite difficult to pull of. When I was working on the reliefs for the first four president concept dollars, Jefferson was the one I struggled with the most - by far. I'm still not happy with how it turned out, but here is how I left it:

image >>

Not bad David....Jefferson looks like Paul Revere or one of his Raiders.

Way better than the earlier version depicted!!!!
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I'll ask for them in change and spend them up until either Clinton is on one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file