Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rusted die or pitted/corroded surface on coppers.

I perused the current thread that had the unsuccessful old copper submissions. I have seen a quite a few of these old coppers with their share of corrosion and environmental damage. It seems like a whole lot of them have their problems. Perhaps that's why we don't see many in TPG slabs. But I digress.

What I'm curious about is how to tell the difference between a pitted surface and a "rusted die". The picture of Breen's #1728 isn't real clear. Does anyone have any visual comparisons that they could post. I'm curious as I'm starting to explore and study the fascinating world of early coppers.

Thanks.

Crispy

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    From an image, it's tough to tell the difference between rusted dies and pitted coin surfaces. However, in-hand you'll see that rusted dies leave small protrusions on the coin's surfaces whereas corroded coins will show as pits on the surfaces.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    rust die the "pitting" come up off the coin, otherwise it is in the coin
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    That makes perfect sense. All the more reason to purchase these coins in person as that kind of effect probably wouldn't be all that apparent in an image unless it is shot from more than one angle or light source.

Thanks for the responses.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if you can tell with this pic, but this is what the surface would look like from rusted dies. Notice the raised areas around the birds talons in this pic?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I sure can see that. Was it noted somewhere that at some point this half dollar's die had rust (as in Breen or some other literary account) or was it more-or-less a common occurence in certain mints? I would imagine it would occur if a die sat unused for a while and then was remarried with a latter date die. When I say that I mean was there a specific mint or mints that improperly stored or improperly treated dies during a certain era?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm curious about this. It is very apparent on JRocco's image.

Great picture JRocco. Thank you for posting it.

• Options
    In the humid salty air of Philadelphia the dies not in use would start rusting fairly quickly unless they were protected. Typically this was done by coating the face of the die in either lard or wax. Todays die steel alloys are more resistant to corrosion.
  • Options
    WOW what a great picture, JRocco

AL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file