Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Confused With The Amount Of T206 Wagners......

I hear a lot about the Wagner T206, and really who doesn't? But what's confusing to me is that every time someone says how many are left, it's always a different number. I've heard 20,30,40,50,& 60 (and a few random numbers in between). Are there just more of these popping up or something? I've never heard an exact number of how many are left.

Comments

• Options
    That is what I am trying to figure out. I have heard about 60 exist with only a handfull PSA4 and above.

That is why I was trying to get a feel on the 52 Topps 311 Mantle, see the comparison in probable future value based on availability and current trends.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've always heard 50-60, but some knowledgable estimates put it at closer to 100.
    Apparentely 4 have Piedmont backs, the rest Sweet Caporals.
    There is the 8, and then a 5 and a 4.
    SGC has graded 2 I believe, one of them being the only one that GAI graded that was then cracked out and holdered by SGC. So the PSA pop report is pretty complete, at least in terms of graded examples. It shows 27 to have been graded, but not sure if one of the SGC's once sat in a PSA holder.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Ironic, but there are far more rare Wagners. Take a look at the caramels. (E135 for example)
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ironic, but there are far more rare Wagners. Take a look at the caramels. (E135 for example) >>

This hobby is about demand, not supply. And T-206 Wagner has been the most well-known card in the hobby for over 50 years.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    We could have a list of "rarer" cards

Doyle Na'tl var
    Magie errror
    t206 cobb with cobb back (my favorite image )
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We could have a list of "rarer" cards

Doyle Na'tl var
    Magie errror
    t206 cobb with cobb back (my favorite image ) >>

The problem is, if you will, that the list of rarer cards probably numbers into the thousands. There are quite a few sets where any card from that set is rarer than the T-206 Wagner
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ironic, but there are far more rare Wagners. Take a look at the caramels. (E135 for example) >>

LAD7

Interesting you bring this up.

As was said - demand drives prices - in fact IMO, there has to be at least 2 to 5 of something to really drive prices - otherwise there's no real buzz since there isn't any real competition due to the inventory.

Two words that are used synonomously that shouldn't are scarcity and rarity.

For a hobby POV - if an item is limited but NOT in as high a demand as one would expect - that's a RARE item.

Since to be rare is defined at "infrequent - extraordinary."

If an item is limited but in HIGH demand - that item is SCARCE.

Since to be scarce is defined at insurfficient to meet demand.

I know this is word salad - semantics - but I can see advanced collectors adopting something like this to easily communicate the nuance of their meaning.

Thus, the Wagner is scarce while cards of lesser numbers are rare - if not in as high a demand.

mike

Mike